Post deleted

tsts4

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Auburntsts
Hey,
I just posted a reply to a post in the Busting Class B thread in Lessons Learned. Both my post and the one I was replying to have been deleted. Neither broke any rules I’m aware and were in fact innocuous, at least IMO. Can anyone shed some light on why?

If you "reply" to someone else and quote their words in your post, and the original post that was quoted gets deleted, then yours will get deleted too, even if yours breaks no rules. Looks like that's what happened here.
You can always re-post without the quote. Although in this case, it was a long-dead thread from 2015 so maybe not worth it. :)

The admin who deletes has the option of attaching a note describing why it was deleted... so you may or may not have gotten that notification.

--Kath

If you "reply" to someone else and quote their words in your post, and the original post that was quoted gets deleted, then yours will get deleted too, even if yours breaks no rules. Looks like that's what happened here.
You can always re-post without the quote. Although in this case, it was a long-dead thread from 2015 so maybe not worth it. :)

The admin who deletes has the option of attaching a note describing why it was deleted... so you may or may not have gotten that notification.

--Kath

No worries— appreciate the response —I learned something today. I kinda wondered if that was the case. And not worth reposting it as it wouldn’t really make any sense with the other post.

...and the original post that was quoted gets deleted, then yours will get deleted too, even if yours breaks no rules. Looks like that's what happened here.

So someone decided it was necessary to delete a post from 2015? Weird. Guess there’s no statute of limitations.....

... Guess there’s no statute of limitations.....

Used to be about accuracy and facts, now it's about "p h e e l i n s"

But I don't have the facts in this case so I am just speculating based on prior empirical evidentiary exposure.

So someone decided it was necessary to delete a post from 2015? Weird. Guess there’s no statute of limitations.....

No. The thread was from 2015 and is still there. The posts in question were from yesterday to that old thread. Someone (a new person to POA as it was his/her’s third post) posted to the old thread. I replied quoting their post. The poster, not a mod, deleted their own post and took mine with it due to the quote. I didn’t know that’s how the software worked so asked the question here as to what happened.

On many forms a poster can't delete a post after some time, usually one day. This is IMO a good thing as it keeps people from having a hissy fit over something and deleting all their posts, fragmenting the discussions.

No. The thread was from 2015 and is still there. The posts in question were from yesterday to that old thread. Someone (a new person to POA as it was his/her’s third post) posted to the old thread. I replied quoting their post. The poster, not a mod, deleted their own post and took mine with it due to the quote. I didn’t know that’s how the software worked so asked the question here as to what happened.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Makes sense. I thought you had replied to an old post and the mods deleted the old one.

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Makes sense. I thought you had replied to an old post and the mods deleted the old one.
That's what I thought,
And after re-readng @kath 's reply, that may still be what happened.

She did say:
So I think the Admin deleted both posts and did not comment why.

So I think the Admin deleted both posts and did not comment why.
I don't think so. I'm pretty sure the original poster was embarrassed and deleted their own post which took mine with it. They didn't need to as what they said wasn't egregious just not completely correct in their appraisal of how the airspace functions and my post just pointed it out but I wasn't harsh or condescending in my reply. They were new and jumped into the deep end without having their ducks in a row was all. Been there-- done that.

there ya go
I stand corrected. But now it's an even bigger mystery as why a Mod would have deleted them in the first place. I mean both posts were nothing burgers other than reviving an old thread.

But now it's an even bigger mystery as why a Mod would have deleted them in the first place.
I'd love to know just how many times someone has said that, even if only to themselves.
I know I have several times.

I'd love to know just how many times someone has said that, even if only to themselves.
I know I have several times.
I am 100% positive that the sum total of time people have spent thinking of conspiratorial reasons why a moderator did something is a far larger unit of time than the time the moderator spent deciding whether or not to do it.

It helps to remember that you can always start your own site and moderate it any way you'd like.

I thought you had replied to an old post and the mods deleted the old one.
We aren’t that bad. ;) If someone is a spammer or troll and revive a 10 year old thread with some kind of nonsense, we delete it and any posts attached to it. It just alleviates forum clutter.

To be clear, I was simply curious as to what happened. I'm on other sites that are way more heavily moderated than POA so I'm not offended it happened, just perplexed. If anything I've leaned some stuff about the mechanics of the forum software and governing policy, so it wasn't a total loss.

I actually feel we’ve loosened our moderation a fair bit recently. The trolls and spammers will continue to get zapped and their content removed. :)

But now it's an even bigger mystery as why a Mod would have deleted them in the first place. I mean both posts were nothing burgers other than reviving an old thread.
Lots of times spammers/trolls will increase their post count by posting completely useless comments on extremely old threads. If I had to guess this user was deleted as part of a spam ban.

I vote to reinstate the mods hefty paychecks.

Lots of times spammers/trolls will increase their post count by posting completely useless comments on extremely old threads. If I had to guess this user was deleted as part of a spam ban.

I vote to reinstate the mods hefty paychecks.

why would posting to an old old thread be more "useful" for upping post count than just replying to a more recent thread?

(serious question)

why would posting to an old old thread be more "useful" for upping post count than just replying to a more recent thread?

(serious question)

yeah it also seems "harder" to do since you have that extra check box to confirm you're relying to an old thread. mostly doesn't make sense.

I am 100% positive that the sum total of time people have spent thinking of conspiratorial reasons why a moderator did something is a far larger unit of time than the time the moderator spent deciding whether or not to do it.

It helps to remember that you can always start your own site and moderate it any way you'd like.

That wasn't my experience. deletions were neither unilateral nor rapidly/capriciously decided on.

That wasn't my experience. deletions were neither unilateral nor rapidly/capriciously decided on.
I think you are missing my point. I wasn't saying that at all.

I think you are missing my point. I wasn't saying that at all.
What I thought you said was that mods don't spend much time thinking about deleting posts.
Don't like it. Delete it. Done.

But most of the posts I have had deleted deserved to be deleted. (most of them anyway).

What I'm saying is that the people obsessing about what mods do, spend far more time than the mods do. That is *not* saying the mods act capriciously or hap-hazardously.

1000 > 100 does not mean 100 = 0

Back