Post-cancer - Will I always need an SI?

Vinny

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Cousin Vinny
It's been a while since I visited here last.

I had testicular cancer in 2005, had chemo and surgery and have been clear since. Got an SI in 2005 and renewed as required through the KC RFS office. Then in early 2008 we moved to Chicago, and I haven't gone flying since (we're down to one car and just about every GA airport is practically inaccessible by public transportation). So, I let my SI lapse, and then let my 3rd class medical lapse this year.

Meanwhile, I've continued having follow-up visits with my oncologist, getting scans and blood tests, until this year (6 years after diagnosis), at which point he cut me loose.

I'm thinking about getting back into the air, and when I do, I'll need to apply for a medical. But will I still need an SI? Is there a point in time at which I will be deemed "normal" again by the FAA and no longer need an SI?

If you were scan negative at 6 years out, you need to send that data, the doc's current status letter, and a letter from you petitioning for a "Letter of eligibility". This is the vehicle by which the FAA says, "you don't have this anymore, back in the 2 year issuance pool for you.....

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back