Post 9/11 GI Bill for flight training

Greg Weber

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Hellfish6
Anyone used their 9/11 GI bill for flight training? I feel like I’m getting the run around from American Flyers and would like to pick the brain of someone who’s used it.

I'm on it right now. I'm doing it through a college degree program. Admittedly I care less about the degree than the flight certs, but being in school full-time means I also get the monthly housing allowance which helps. plus i get out with CFII and a bachelors under my belt.

What are they giving you a runaround about?

They are telling me I need to be in an IFR/commercial program. Only ~$13k on that until I complete the commercial portion of ~$45k before I can use the next portion of my benefit. It’s just all very confusing.

Essentially, they’re saying I can use $13k of the benefit and then come out of pocket for $32k. Once that’s done I can then use my next two years of benefit.

I just want to figure out how to best use the benefit to maximize the dollars.

Talk to the organization you're planning to do your training with. They'll know how it's structured for their program. I'm sure some other folks here know how it works in general.

My understanding is that in general you pay for the PPL part, and the IFR/commercial part is covered by the GI Bill.

Talk to the organization you're planning to do your training with. They'll know how it's structured for their program. I'm sure some other folks here know how it works in general.

My understanding is that in general you pay for the PPL part, and the IFR/commercial part is covered by the GI Bill.

In general, that’s true. I’m wrapping up my PPL and trying to figure out next steps. I was trying to take this route: year one complete instrument rating, year two commercial, year three CFI. But, the school is telling me I have to take instrument and commercial together in the first year and then can “unlock” the remaining benefits in year two and three. Sorry, but I just don’t trust the two 141 schools on my field. They have bad reps and price gauge.

I used post 9/11 for my instrument at American flyer. I had to be dual enrolled but only had one year if post 9/11 left. I had to pay the full instrument cost up front and once I completed and got my certificate I got reimbursed. I never did the commercial part just the IR but was dual enrolled. If you're not enrolled in the commercial the 9/11 bill won't pay. They have ways of making it work as I never got my commercial.

I used post 9/11 for my instrument at American flyer. I had to be dual enrolled but only had one year if post 9/11 left. I had to pay the full instrument cost up front and once I completed and got my certificate I got reimbursed. I never did the commercial part just the IR but was dual enrolled. If you're not enrolled in the commercial the 9/11 bill won't pay. They have ways of making it work as I never got my commercial.

Did you have to stretch the instrument out for the full year to not come out of pocket? They’re saying something about a monthly cap.

Did you have to stretch the instrument out for the full year to not come out of pocket? They’re saying something about a monthly cap.
Heck no, I was done in 10days. BUT I wonder if they are telling you that because the bill pays out a cap every year and the instrument rating will take it all then some?? When I did it the 9/11 bill was capped at $10,500 a year pay out. So I paid some out of pocket when it was all said and done.

Heck no, I was done in 10days. BUT I wonder if they are telling you that because the bill pays out a cap every year and the instrument rating will take it all then some?? When I did it the 9/11 bill was capped at $10,500 a year pay out. So I paid some out of pocket when it was all said and done.

Mine is capped at about $13k a year. They’re telling me though it’s a monthly cap of $1083.

The way it worked for me is:

I enrolled in college (aviation major) while getting my PPL out of pocket. Once I had my private ticket, I was able to start instrument the following semester, with the flight school that the college is partnered with.

The GI bill provided the funding upfront for 50hrs flight + 10hrs simulator(we had a redbird FMS), so I had no monthly limits etc. Being cut off at a grand per month would take me half a century to finish my IR.

That being said, once that funding ran out, I had to start coming out of pocket.

I'd start looking around at colleges and see if any have aviation programs instead of just 141 schools. That way you can get a degree out of it as well as a monthly housing allowance(on or off campus) if you go at least half-time.
Many may even offer different tracks. For instance, I have the option of taking the instructor path and pursuing CFI/CFII, or going for commercial UAV training instead.

Back