possibly silly question

jaybee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
jaybee
I just graduated a 141 Instrument program getting ready for my checkride. The endorsements I was given were written in accordance with Part 61 rules. I said 'that makes no sense', and the Asst Chief Pilots said 'yes I know... thats just the way it is'.

I know they use the same DPE all the time and it goes through without a hitch but it just seems wrong. Thoughts ?

Layman's:

FAR 61 covers training requirements. Part 141 is a "modification" to allow reduced time minimums with FAA approval. If a 141 school looses it's accreditation, it can revert to being 61.

If your school doesn't have "examining authority," you still have to use the "Completion of Required Test" block of the 8710-1. However, the endorsements are slightly different, because you do not meet the aeronautical requirements of 61.65(d). The endoresement therefore must reference completion of the approved course as the basis of eligibility for the practical test. If you instructor signs a regular endorsement saying you meet the requirements of 61.65(d) when you don't, your instructor is violating 61.59, and that's as serious as it gets with the FAA.

Ron, the XC requirements are not the same for 141 IR students, therefore that reg shouldn't apply.

I'm not sure which rule was quoted as the endorsements were printed out from a computer and placed in my file. I only remember that they said 61 on them. I will find out when they put them in my log book though.

As long as they are not 61.65(d) I'm good to go then, thanks.

PS - Negative on the examining authority, the DPEs they regularly use are contractors(?) I guess.

Based on how my Primary Instructor wrote out endorsements I expected something like

"...meets requirements of Appendix C of 141...."

Ron, the XC requirements are not the same for 141 IR students, therefore that reg shouldn't apply.
No, they aren't. Compare 61.65(d) to paragraph 3 of Appendix C to Part 141. No XC PIC requirement, 35 hours training, no 40 hours instrument time, etc.

Based on how my Primary Instructor wrote out endorsements I expected something like

"...meets requirements of Appendix C of 141...."
Yup. And you have to take your Graduation Certificate to the practical test.

IIRC, I had an endorsement in my logbook for my 141 PP course. IR likely has something similar. I have a Cessna Pilot Center logbook, so YRMV.

Back