Possibly buying first airplane what are the steps?

Separate question... FAA received my paperwork yesterday (known via USPS tracking). How long until it should show up in the FAA aircraft registry that I own the plane?

In my experience a week or so, depending on what they have going on.

Ether way as long as you have the pink carbon copy you're good to go minus international ops.

If I send the paperwork to the FAA myself how long does it take to get the registration changed over?
Don't think the FAA cares who sends it, see above.

Separate question... FAA received my paperwork yesterday (known via USPS tracking). How long until it should show up in the FAA aircraft registry that I own the plane?

Mine was well over a month.

Sale? :)

Upgrading, hopefully?

Absolutely! I've been building an RV-10 for the last two and a half years and hope to have it out at the airport and flying by the end of the summer. In the mean time though I have access to a friends RV-10 and have been flying that.

About 30 days...(at least that was how long it took on my last plane, 2 years ago). Also, I think part of that depends on the seller believe it or not...when I bought my first plane, 20+ years ago, once you paid the seller, he was done. But now, the FAA contacts the seller after the sale, to ensure there actually was a sale.
I got back into flying after a 15 year break...I immediately bought a plane, and the registration seemed to be taking awhile. I contacted the FAA, and they said they were waiting on validation from the seller. I thought I did something wrong...so I contacted the seller, and he said, "Oh yeah, I'm sorry. I was contacted by the FAA and I forgot to return the paperwork." I still wasn't sure I did everything right, but then I received the registration so I moved on.
But then 2 years ago I sold that plane to get a new one. About two weeks after the sale, I received a letter from the FAA, asking if I had actually sold the plane, to "verify" the sale.

Last edited:
Good luck with your purchase. May want to consider a buyers broker. Will cost a few pesos but may be worth the money !

The Aircraft Registry page on the FAA website mentions that they're currently processing documents received on January 19th.
This. My paperwork was received on Feb 6th. When the FAA said they were processing documents on the 7th it was updated online in the inquiry.

But now, the FAA contacts the seller after the sale, to ensure there actually was a sale.
I got back into flying after a 15 year break...I immediately bought a plane, and the registration seemed to be taking awhile. I contacted the FAA, and they said they were waiting on validation from the seller.
FWIW that wasn't the case for me. They just processed the paperwork and did not verify with the seller. He's sold over 15 aircraft and said that they've never had him verify. Not sure why your case (or mine?) Would've been different.

Mine was about a month until I got letter with an extension because I listed my title in the LLC other than their prescribed list of titles. The correction took another 2-3 weeks.

This. My paperwork was received on Feb 6th. When the FAA said they were processing documents on the 7th it was updated online in the inquiry.

FWIW that wasn't the case for me. They just processed the paperwork and did not verify with the seller. He's sold over 15 aircraft and said that they've never had him verify. Not sure why your case (or mine?) Would've been different.
The were no loans involved with both me buying and then later selling, and the plane was just a little C150 with a clear title. The plane I have now, I bought from a aircraft dealer, and the registration came very quick...so, I'm not sure of the FAA criteria (and if its like most things with the FAA, even the FAA is not sure of the FAAs criteria).

Back