Possible Windshear Tomorrow?

itsjames2011

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
James
Hey everyone,

I'm planning a flight for tomorrow morning and looking at the projected winds aloft, I have a question
BDL:3000 ft 3226 6000 ft 2821
BOS:3000 ft 3227 6000 ft 2925

Seems to me this will be a 30 to 40 degree wind shift between 3k and 6k which would produce windshear effects. I'm wondering if it's going to be a terrible ride if we keep it at 3500ish?

James

Wind shear sounds ominous. Personslly, I have never had problems with it other than turbulence.

I wouldn't sweat that at all, even with first time passengers.

That kind of wind can easily make terrain induced turbulence, but you don't have any terrain around there, right?

For airmass turbulence, look at ADDS. Better yet, rucsoundings.noaa.gov if you can read the skew-T's.

It looks like you will have a weak cool front moving through tomorrow morning, possibly a rain shower with good ceilings.

If it was a strong, fast moving, large temperature gradient cold front then I would be very cautious. Wind shear would be a larger wind speed/direction change over a very short horizontal or vertical distance.

Thanks for all the advice. Turned out to be the smoothest day I've seen in ages lol

Back