Possible Ongoing Card Data Theft Issue at Target

I don't understand the non-renewal for paying off cards either. I've never been non-renewed and I've always paid them off. All my cards are from banks, none from credit unions.

In the credit card world you are considered a "deadbeat" for not carrying a balance.
We have an AMEX (Delta) and an L.L. Bean Visa. Never carried a balance, and never been non-renewed. The L.L. Bean Visa is actually a Barclaycard, and the customer service and fraud protection departmens are excellent. The first time I bought Skype credit ($10), I made the purchase online and made an immediate call to the UK, and before the connection was even made Barclay was on the phone asking if I had made a $10 purchase from a merchant in Lichenstein. My wife took the call and was very very curious about that purchase!

I've been doing exactly that with a Southwest Airlines Visa since early 2006, haven't paid a dime of interest and they just sent me a renewal card last month.

Add me to that list. The banks haven't made a nickle of interest off me in almost thirty years. They always send a new card.

As it happens, I downloaded my credit history this past weekend as part of the whole rigmarole surrounding this fraud experience. It was BOA that declined to renew one of my cards back in 2008, for unstated reasons. The only reason I can think of is that I never carried a balance.

I've also had a few cards canceled for complete non-use over the years, which I actually can understand. It costs money to carry a customer who never uses a card. Plus, if the customer carries the card around, but never uses it, the issuer is assuming a fraud risk with no revenue in return.

-Rich

In the credit card world you are considered a "deadbeat" for not carrying a balance.
We have an AMEX (Delta) and an L.L. Bean Visa. Never carried a balance, and never been non-renewed. The L.L. Bean Visa is actually a Barclaycard, and the customer service and fraud protection departmens are excellent. The first time I bought Skype credit ($10), I made the purchase online and made an immediate call to the UK, and before the connection was even made Barclay was on the phone asking if I had made a $10 purchase from a merchant in Lichenstein. My wife took the call and was very very curious about that purchase!

Barclay is a prime example of a company that has an excellent fraud department because they need it.

The airline card that I rarely use is from them. They're constantly sending me new ones saying the last one got compromised. Almost always from the same gas station in California every time, too.

The system itself is inherently insecure and only holding on by a thread, but Barclay leads the way in reissuing cards around here. Haha.

Back