Possible Magneto Failure?

Just giving an update on this thread -- apparently one of the two new magnetos I purchased has a manufacturing defect in the rivet that attaches the points. I've noticed that the left mag is a little more rough than I would think was normal, so I'm looking forward to having this swapped out and hopefully I'll be running like a champ.

Slicks, right? Good grief. You'd think that Champion would have fixed the manufacturing hiccups by now. I'm not working on little airplanes anymore so I don't see the Slick service bulletins, and I don't see anything yet on Lycoming's website. They usually reprint Slick stuff.

Dan

Yea I heard through CPA... Only signed up two weeks ago and have been questioning the usefulness and cost. I've read through the forums which are nice but seems like the same folks/help here for free. Their email notification about the slicks hit home though, I don't know if I would've heard otherwise. In case you are wondering its SB1-12 all mags from Nov 2011-Mar 2012 affected.

Should just be another couple hundred to get it fixed... is there a Cessna abbreviation like boat or fiat?

Just giving an update on this thread -- apparently one of the two new magnetos I purchased has a manufacturing defect in the rivet that attaches the points.

Cessna Pilot's Assn put out a bulletin on this last week with manufacturers and serial numbers.

Whole batch o' bad ones, apparently. And apparently using a shared component between two manufacturer's brand names.

Yea I heard through CPA... Only signed up two weeks ago and have been questioning the usefulness and cost. I've read through the forums which are nice but seems like the same folks/help here for free. Their email notification about the slicks hit home though, I don't know if I would've heard otherwise. In case you are wondering its SB1-12 all mags from Nov 2011-Mar 2012 affected.

Should just be another couple hundred to get it fixed... is there a Cessna abbreviation like boat or fiat?

Isn't "Aircraft Quality" wonderful?

Dan

Wonder why I tell folks "If it ain't broke don't fix it until it is"

Right. Seems like the quality stuff is found at the fly markets, surplus shops and collector's junkpiles. Even the new parts to fix some of the current stuff aren't up to snuff. Seen some of those silly tailwheel tires the last few years? Nothng more than cheap Chinese handcart tires. Certified handcart tires. They all have the Specialty Tires of America logo on them. False advertising, since there's nothing Special about them and they're not American, and they're barely a tire.

Don't get me started on Kelly stuff.

Dan

Right. Seems like the quality stuff is found at the fly markets, surplus shops and collector's junkpiles. Even the new parts to fix some of the current stuff aren't up to snuff. Seen some of those silly tailwheel tires the last few years? Nothng more than cheap Chinese handcart tires. Certified handcart tires. They all have the Specialty Tires of America logo on them. False advertising, since there's nothing Special about them and they're not American, and they're barely a tire.

Don't get me started on Kelly shi-.

Dan

FTFY.

Back