Possible good Twinkie becoming available.

gismo

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
iGismo
A friend of mine has both a single and a twin Comanche and is thinking about selling the twin since he's not flying it a lot any more since retirement. I believe it has low to mid time engines, adequate avionics (430, 155, WX1000, 2 axis AP, etc) and I know the paint is near perfect. It also has a few speed mods including LoPresti's aftermarket engine cowlings. He told me that he's been following the market and thinks he'll be asking around $110k. I've know this guy for quite a while and he's definitely old school straight shooter ("my word is my bond" kind of guy). If anyone's interested, let me know.

...oh, Kent...

Lance,

Have him send me some info

rivertim [at] hotmail [dot] com

Well equipped Twinkie sold at our field with mid time engines (factory zeros), good electronics, good paint and interior - $69K..

denny-o

...oh, Kent...

Not at that price... :frown2:

Partly because that's over my budget, even in a partnership scenario I'm afraid... Although if it had turbos, Miller mods, and R/STOL I'd probably beg, borrow (more), and steal to get it. :eek:

Also, at $110K right now it'd have to have something unobtainable to be worthwhile. Miller engines and/or turbos, R/STOL, (is there an echo in here?) that sort of thing. Otherwise, they seem to just be sitting if they're in the $100K plus price range. Of course, for someone who's going to keep it for a while and it fits their needs already, it could still be an OK deal.

I volunteer to test fly it and ferry it to the new owner, though. :D

For $110k it would have to have a gold-plated loo.....

Well equipped Twinkie sold at our field with mid time engines (factory zeros), good electronics, good paint and interior - $69K..

denny-o

There is a nice looking ninteen fourty something J3 on Barnstormers for only $70K. But it has no electronics.

Can somone 'splain airplane prices to me?

There is a nice looking ninteen fourty something J3 on Barnstormers for only $70K. But it has no electronics.

Can somone 'splain airplane prices to me?
Supply and demand. Not many nice J3's and a lot of demand for them. They also don't cost much to operate.

The expensive twin's go up and down in value based on the economy and fuel prices. The purchase price of a twin is only a small part of the financial obligation required to operate it.

The purchase price of a J3 gets you flying. The costs of flying it are negligible.

The purchase price of a J3 gets you flying. The costs of flying it are negligible.

Relatively speaking, the same holds true for a Twin Comanche also. As far as twins go, a Twinkie is about as cheap to operate as they come.

Relatively speaking, the same holds true for a Twin Comanche also. As far as twins go, a Twinkie is about as cheap to operate as they come.
Compared to other twins - but the operating costs of a Twin Comanche is still a LOT more than the J3.

I do enjoy flying a J3 but I think they're a bit over priced what for they are. Plenty of other old tail draggers for less money that are just as fun to fly.

Are people even buying airplanes right now? Is anything selling?

John

Yes.

I was looking at one Tuesday (was listed Sunday). Dinked around Wednesday sorting out logistics. Called Thursday afternoon to make a final offer but someone else had offered the asking price Thursday morning - sight unseen. :frown3:

Yes.

I was looking at one Tuesday (was listed Sunday). Dinked around Wednesday sorting out logistics. Called Thursday afternoon to make a final offer but someone else had offered the asking price Thursday morning - sight unseen. :frown3:

That's how I bought my Warrior, sight unseen. I did beat the guy down $900.00 plus the cost to ferry it out from east Texas to San Diego. Had I turned it down after my mechanics recommendation to do so, I would have had to pay a grand to send it back.

The guy selling it just sounded right on the phone, so I took a chance and it payed off. My mechanic had rejected every plane I looked at, for one good reason or another, five total.

Sometimes you have to stick your bankbook out there and take your chances.

John

I am finalizing the purchase for a 79 172 with the Air Planes 180 conversion....3050TTAF 1100SMOH / autopilot and IFR panel with dated but decent avionics paint 7/10 interior 8/10 to replace 71D....plane checked out for the pre-buy gonna fly it this weekend... under 50K

Title companies say things picked up after April 15.

I am finalizing the purchase for a 79 172 with the Air Planes 180 conversion....3050TTAF 1100SMOH / autopilot and IFR panel with dated but decent avionics paint 7/10 interior 8/10 to replace 71D....plane checked out for the pre-buy gonna fly it this weekend... under 50K
What happened!!??? :eek: :confused: :dunno:

Back