Positive GA Press

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
with quotes from one of our own. The name is misspelled, but I think you can figure out who she is!

Last Sunday the McCarthy family found more than just good eats at the airport, which hosted a two-day open house that included fly ins by a variety of airplanes and on-ground displays of vintage military fighter and training planes. Also at the event were several exhibitors, airplane and helicopter rides, and a chance to sit inside a cockpit and work the controls of a simulator of a U.S. Air Force KC-135 Stratotanker, which replicated an in-flight refueling mission.
“It was like a mini Oshkosh,” said McCarthy, who said he works in the aviation industry and has attended the annual Oshkosh Air Show.
http://www.chicagosuburbannews.com/bolingbrook/homepage/x1731077

Romeoville resident Leslie Prellowicz attended the show as an exhibitor with The Ninety-Nines Inc., an international organization of female pilots founded in 1929, with an Illinois chapter based in DeKalb.
The organization got its name because 99 women initially founded the organization, which has included among its membership the first woman to break the sound barrier, first female airline pilot and the first woman to become the U.S. Aerobatic competition champion, Prellowicz said.
Famed aviatrix Amelia Earhart served as the first president of the organization, which she was instrumental in founding.
“I fly myself out of Clow, and we made some good recruiting contacts while here over the weekend,” Prellowicz said.
The Ninety-Nines will provide a permanent display in the Illinois Aviation Museum, which is housed temporarily in Clow’s Hangar One.

very cool.. nicely done Leslie :yes:

Actually, I just saw that the article is under a Creative Commons license, so I can post it here. I've corrected the spelling of Leslie's name:

Thousands flock to Clow during open house

By Don Grigas
Bolingbrook Reporter
Thu Jun 07, 2007, 05:19 PM CDT

Bolingbrook, IL -
Mike McCarthy and wife Jamie recently moved to the south side of Naperville from St. Louis, but they have already grown accustomed to watching air planes come and go from Bolingbrook Clow International Airport, which is less than two miles from their home.
In fact, the airport has become a destination of sorts for the couple and their two children who often dine at Charlie’s Restaurant located at the site of the municipally-owned, single-runway general aviation airport.
Last Sunday the McCarthy family found more than just good eats at the airport, which hosted a two-day open house that included fly ins by a variety of airplanes and on-ground displays of vintage military fighter and training planes. Also at the event were several exhibitors, airplane and helicopter rides, and a chance to sit inside a cockpit and work the controls of a simulator of a U.S. Air Force KC-135 Stratotanker, which replicated an in-flight refueling mission.
“It was like a mini Oshkosh,” said McCarthy, who said he works in the aviation industry and has attended the annual Oshkosh Air Show.
“We haven’t done the (Illinois Aviation) Museum yet, but we are going to,” said McCarthy, who waited out a brief rain shower inside a hangar with dozens of other visitors. “I think it is important to maintain smaller recreational airports like this one, because more and more are disappearing.”
Jamie McCarthy said the open house and airport “is a great little venue. ... It is great living so close to it.”
Bolingbrook resident Jason Erickson said he brings his children to the airport frequently to visit, dine and watch aircraft take off and land.
“The kids really enjoy it,” said Erickson. “We come here a lot, we’ll grab a bite at the restaurant and watch the planes.”
His son, Caleb, 6, said he thought the open house was “good ... we watched a lot of planes.”
His favorites?
“I like the fighter planes the best,” Caleb said.
Romeoville resident Leslie Prellwitz attended the show as an exhibitor with The Ninety-Nines Inc., an international organization of female pilots founded in 1929, with an Illinois chapter based in DeKalb.
The organization got its name because 99 women initially founded the organization, which has included among its membership the first woman to break the sound barrier, first female airline pilot and the first woman to become the U.S. Aerobatic competition champion, Prellwitz said.
Famed aviatrix Amelia Earhart served as the first president of the organization, which she was instrumental in founding.
“I fly myself out of Clow, and we made some good recruiting contacts while here over the weekend,” Prellwitz said.
The Ninety-Nines will provide a permanent display in the Illinois Aviation Museum, which is housed temporarily in Clow’s Hangar One.
Joe DePaulo, airport manager, estimated the attendance at more than 8,000, and said anticipated improvements in parking may lead to an increase in attendance next year.
“This has become a destination event after eight years, and we are looking at working something out with local retailers to partner with us to accommodate the event’s growth,” DePaulo said.

Back