Positive experiences!

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
Some of us, myself certainly, are quick to post our bad experiences and rant about the boneheaded things other pilots do. So why not post when something good happens for a change?

I had two good experiences yesterday.

The first was in the morning when I entered right downwind in the R22 for 27 at my home airport. There was a Cessna flying pipeline patrol who announced that he would be crossing the extended center line at the approach end of 27 at 800 MSL (helicopters usually fly the pattern at 1,000 MSL here). We exchanged positions and sighted each other. It occurred to me that instead of causing any trauma, there was no reason not to turn base at the approach end of the runway. Which I did and which did not escape the attention of the pipeline guy, who got on the radio and thanked me for flying a very tight base leg. I told him I was glad to help and we wished each other a good day...

Then in the afternoon, I had flown a few patterns in the Cherokee, then departed 27 to go north. When I turned out to the north (and announced it), I heard another Cherokee announce that he was 5 miles to the north inbound for landing. We exchanged positions and it was clear that there might be a conflict. I was climbing and told him I would level off at 1,300 until we spotted each other. He told me he had leveled off from his descent at 1,700. In about a minute we spotted each other and had plenty of clearance because of the vertical separation. Had I kept climbing and had he kept descending we would have come quite close.

So instead of having the adrenaline pumping, we thanked each other and continued our flights. No fuss, no muss.

All I can say is that it's a real pleasure to interact with pilots who know what they're doing :yes:

That's how we handle it around here. I haven't seen anyone in such a tight spot timewise (except for the lifeguard flights who are always given priority) or in such a haughty position (in their own mind) that they cannot flex for another aircraft .....in non-urban America.

Yeah, I hear ya, good idea.

Whenever a slightly tight situation comes up in airspace I view it as a minor challange, whether involving tower or CTAF pilots. My reply to either but especially when the haughty high & mightys are involved is, in standard radio phraseology of course, on the order of (with significant subliminal intonations, and because we're obviously somewhat more skillful pilots) "No sweat, we can just do a 360 or S turn or slip it or Slow Flight or whatever it takes, in order to help you get your aircraft where it needs to go..."

It's more fun that way and learning can take place plus, done so that in the end the overall atmosphere is one of, now that wasn't so hard was it ? What was the big deal in the first place anyway ?

Last edited:
Back