Positive CFI attributes

Jeanie

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Jeanie
Of all the CFIs you have had what stands out for you as their good qualities / attributes? What did you experience as most helpful?

From my early student pilot days, a thread about CFI's distracting you, some answers to your question (sort of):

(User ID: fgcason)

- The best lesson and I do it on my own too: Sitting on the ramp, he blindfolded me and made me go through the emergency procedures by touch and memory, not a checklist, not with my eyes, and we did that until I got it right consistently. I can still find every individual switch on the panel of a Cherokee 180C just by reaching for it without looking. My hand knows where the switches are and my brain doesn't have to get involved which means I can think of other things like where to put down while my body tries to get the engine restarted.

Thread here:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42331

"I don't know, but I know it when I see it"

That, and I had a CFI in NJ, I've gone through about 12 CFIs and he was the absolute best. By far he was more of a friend than a teacher, we just really got along well.

EDIT: he's also young and very upbeat

Last edited:
On attributes:

(User ID: dmccormack)

As a CFI I am a partner with the pilot in the left seat. I will treat him or her with as much respect as I expect in return. There's no need for Locker Room antics, unless you both enjoy that sort of thing.

That, and I had a CFI in NJ, I've gone through about 12 CFIs and he was the absolute best. By far he was more of a friend than a teacher, we just really got along well.

Beware being too chummy with your CFI. I was with my first and it led to a lot of time flying that was fun, but not necessarily productive.

Then again, it seemed like fun and relaxation, while flying together, often led to sudden, complete, engine failure. ARGGGH, you SOB!

Rich

We have a real problem with CFIs talking about "student's" mistakes. Bi-anuals, instruction, what ever. It is like a gossip club. Very sad. :nono:

Last edited:
Beware being too chummy with your CFI. I was with my first and it led to a lot of time flying that was fun, but not necessarily productive.

Yeah I understand that but his dad was the examiner for the area so he sure knew how to teach as well, I really got lucky having him as a CFI.

Another attitude related one:

(User ID: Everskyward)

As far as your CFI goes, is he an older man? Does he take a paternalistic attitude toward you? This used to drive me nuts about some older men when I was young. I was too independent to want a father figure telling me what to do, not just about flying but life in general. That doesn't happen much any more at my age, one of the few advantages of getting older.

(From the flying with other pilots thread during my training):

www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42333

And another:

(User ID: SkyHog)

I don't generally trot out the "Fire them" line often, but there's not many "minor" issues that go that way. Seriously, being a CFI isn't hard (getting the certificate is, but actually being one....not hard). You have to intelligently work with pilots and treat them like adults. You have to be able to fly.

But you have to be able to guide, and that is where most CFIs that I complain about are lacking. Sure, they fly, and the fly well, and sure they can teach. But seriously, any CFI that trots out "flying the step" or any of the other OWTs out there should not be teaching because they are essentially poisoning the minds of aviators. The reason these types of fallacies are so popular out there is because of bad CFIs.

Look at the ASRS report. Most of the bad information cycling around about that report is due to CFIs that either don't care (fire them), don't know (fire them), or blindly listened to someone else without checking facts (fire them). Each of these are very bad habits for a CFI to have because who know what else they have wrong. Maybe someone told them "Hey, I heard that the SFAR around Washington, D.C. doesn't apply on federal holidays." He tells his student (who already has a PPL), student trusts CFI, student busts regs...who gets in trouble? Certainly not the CFI.

You wil never hear me ever jump on a CFI's case because he can't fly a chandelle right, or because his steep turns are slightly out of compliance with the regs. Those can be learned. It is honestly my opinion that ANYONE can fly, and i mean that, anyone. Anyone can also teach, and I mean that, ANYONE. Flying is easy as hell.

But judgment? Not so much.

Just remember, you're paying more per hour for the instructor than you do for any other instruction that I can think of. I think its ok to expect them to show a little bit of interest in doing things right at $40 or $50 an hour.

Prime traits in a CFI: Comprehensive knowledge, good judgement, humility, candor, and the ability to deliver a critique that is analytical without being critical.

What's up with your captain awesome avatar?

Aint it grand?

404275_3438044077815_1471907545_33302166_1317429517_n.jpg

One of my CFI's would say (after some intense teaching/flying time), "just play....." IOW, do what you want... have fun, feel the airplane and what it can do.

(BTW, this particular CFI had thousands of hours, so I felt very comfortable and safe with him and he obviously felt secure enough in his ability as to be able to "undo" whatever I did. He also knew that I wasn't a daredevil and wouldn't try aerobatics.

I'll think of more... I've had more than a few CFI's. Good question.

A desire to see me pass the oral and practical test.

As opposed to a desire to have me continue to pay them...

From something else I posted:
Never give a student a good grade he didn't earn, never give him a bad grade without both advice on how to do better AND expressing confidence that he WILL do better next time.

From something else I posted:
Never give a student a good grade he didn't earn, never give him a bad grade without both advice on how to do better AND expressing confidence that he WILL do better next time.

You just reminded me of the "praise" CFI thread now I have to go look that up.

My CFI NEVER praised me. He said praise is over-rated. The one time he said PERFECT to a landing I made - and a short field at that - I will never forget. I even remember the way he pronounced the word since it was a word I've never heard him say. He soon after signed me off for the checkride.

Now that I'm no longer actively angry with him, I'm tempted to get "text to speech" software to document the hours and hours of ground lessons I tape recorded. He was wise and said some good stuff.

My CFI watched me for about 3 minutes and said, "The airplane is talking to you. You have to be quiet, listen, and hear it. Stop telling it what to do."

Wiser words were never spoken, thank you Joel Kosnow.

Another attitude related one:

(User ID: Everskyward)

As far as your CFI goes, is he an older man? Does he take a paternalistic attitude toward you? This used to drive me nuts about some older men when I was young. I was too independent to want a father figure telling me what to do, not just about flying but life in general. That doesn't happen much any more at my age, one of the few advantages of getting older.

(From the flying with other pilots thread during my training):

www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42333

And the other end of the spectrum ... is the CFI a young man, with less than 3 years as a CFI, and doesn't realize is, but exhibits little tolerance or doesn't understand why someone as old as his parents wants to learn to fly?

My favorite CFI was in my college of Education, and spent his career teaching folks how to teach. The thing that really stands out in my mind is he has zero ego when instructing, something our younger CFIs would do well to emulate, if they don't do so already.

I wrote a long and heartfelt recommendation to promote hims to Gold Seal status or whatever it is. He both received and deserved it.

Having the patience to let the student think through and perform the task at hand without rushing to prompt or intervene. If you've done something a hundred times you can't expect someone who's just learning to be able to do it as fast as you.

Now that I've flown with FIVE CFI's (and didn't post about the most recent one, who is young but patient and kind):

I can say I love about my instructor:

He knew when to be silent
He knew when to speak
He knew when I was frustrated
He stayed OFF the controls (post solo).
He let me mess up when safe to do so (many CFI's won't do that).

Having the patience to let the student think through and perform the task at hand without rushing to prompt or intervene. If you've done something a hundred times you can't expect someone who's just learning to be able to do it as fast as you.

Very, very important!

This is hardest at 5' AGL, when the airplane is .9 x Vso, heading 050 on runway 09...

Very, very important!

This is hardest at 5' AGL, when the airplane is .9 x Vso, heading 050 on runway 09...

Teaching a new student how to hover a helicopter 3 feet off the ground.....;)

Gray hair.
Even better, used to have gray hair.

I can't add alot to the great thoughts in this thread, but:

My first instructor could teach well, but was so abrasive in his attitude that it took a lot of fun out of the process and made him less effective in many ways. Dreading your flying lessons because of the CFI's attitude is not good. He taught me things though that have been invaluable, like requiring me to spin, and pulling the power about every time I took a breath so that I got good at emergency procedures.

My second instructor missed alot of the basics that my first instructor drilled into me well. He was very fun, pleasant and effective, but getting time scheduled with him was CHALLENGING! If you choose to be a CFI, make yourself AVAILABLE for your students.

Sure, everyone has a flat tire or a sick relative from time to time and that's understandable OCCASIONALLY! If you are not in a position to schedule time at least a few times a week with your students, go drive a truck or something.

So, far the hardest one for me to make myself do is to wait to let them figure it out... I want to "save" it so that it's easier for them.... I am understanding now that letting them struggle up to a point is beneficial.

So, far the hardest one for me to make myself do is to wait to let them figure it out... I want to "save" it so that it's easier for them.... I am understanding now that letting them struggle up to a point is beneficial.
It cements it in our brains. :yesnod:

I think a nice mix of fun/professionalism is very important. I tried not to be a robot in the cockpit, and be fun, make the lessons exciting yet productive. But I also take professionalism seriously. Being on time, being a leader and providing a positive learning experience.

I also think too many instructors baby their students. I am more of a tough love CFI. I am very scenario based, and I make my students think a lot. I turn a lot of questions back on them to invoke dialog, to actually THINK about the stuff they are learning, and apply one situation, to many different scenarios to see how that situation, or decision will change.

I can agree with Kim, a good instructor knows when to talk, and also knows when to shut up, which is a harder quality to master for some.

This is a hard thing to learn. It is especially worse if you are teaching in less forgiving aircraft. You can let somebody get pretty darn far in the Cessna and Piper flavors. But there is a razor thin line between letting them learn, and holy crap when you teach primary students in tailwheel aircraft, or some more fussy tricycle gear planes.

I ALMOST learned the hard way to never let your guard down. The lesson isn't over, and you and your student aren't safe until the plane is in the chocks and you guys are back inside. So be vigilant at all times. But let them go as far as they can before it becomes out of your ability to control, or illegal.

+1000

And this is why I don't have my instrument yet. A CFII that insisted on giving me non-stop verbal corrections/instructions. Would never let me figure out what I was doing wrong and fix it.

Great thread, Kimberly.

Did you ever feel like your intructor was not giving you his/her best? Like they weren't teaching from the heart? Like they somehow didn't want you to know what they knew?
A good instructor gives his all to his students, lends them every good book, willingly shares everything he knows with them, as he wants them to be better pilots than him, to be the instructor/mentor he never had. Good intructors are earnest and ethical and loyal: When they are working for you, you know they are working for you.

A good intructor lets students make mistakes, and gives them plenty of opportunities (practice) to right them. And, knows several ways to help them fix mistakes. Talented intructors help students learn to self-teach - how to see. A skilled instructor just knows how to provide the optimum amount of challenge to a student to enhance learning without overwhelming. It's always a good idea to end a lesson on a positive note, after a really nice landing rather than a bad one (not always possible). Your intructor should never give up on you.

No one should charge a student money to intruct a subject area for which the instructor isn't qualified. For instance, aerobatics or tailwheel. If the learning curve is steep for both instructor and student, the student shouldn't pay for that. In some cases, it can be dangerous, like learning just enough karate to get your butt kicked.

And speaking of money, an earlier poster thought flight intructors were expensive, as compared to other types of intruction. Really? Ever pay a golf or tennis pro for a lesson? I always thought airports are the wierdest places, economically speaking...hundreds of thousands of dollars of airplanes around, but no one within miles makes more than $25K/yr. Kinda makes a good instructor rare...

Back