Portland Class B ???

luvflyin

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Luvflyin
Just did Foreflight downloads. It had a Portland TAC Chart and deleted the Portland Inset on the Sectional. Can't find anything about a new Class B at Portland KPDX. @John Collins , do you still work with Foreflight? Waz up with this?

Just did Foreflight downloads. It had a Portland TAC Chart and deleted the Portland Inset on the Sectional. Can't find anything about a new Class B at Portland KPDX. @John Collins , do you still work with Foreflight? Waz up with this?

Charting office made a change. Why is this a FF issue?

Apparently they just changed what used to be a 250,000:1 inset on the Seattle sectional, to a separate Portland TAC publication. It looks like the new chart covers more area, about 50 nm wide, double the size of the old inset.

There are also three new north-south VFR transition routes published -- "Timbers" at or below 2500' from SV Highway down to 7S3; "Blazers" at or above 3500' from W52 to Oregon City; and "Thorns" at or below 4500' from the Larch Mountain prison to Crown Point to Sandy, then at or below 2500' to 5S9.

I imagine there's more information about these transition routes on the back of the chart, but the new chart isn't yet listed for download on the FAA digital chart page.

Last edited:
Apparently they just changed what used to be a 250,000:1 inset on the Seattle sectional, to a separate Portland TAC publication. It looks like the new chart covers more area, about 50 nm wide, double the size of the old inset.

There are also three new north-south VFR transition routes published -- "Timbers" at or below 2500' from SV Highway down to 7S3; "Blazers" at or above 3500' from W52 to Oregon City; and "Thorns" at or below 4500' from the Larch Mountain prison to Crown Point to Sandy, then at or below 2500' to 5S9.

I imagine there's more information about these transition routes on the back of the chart, but the new chart isn't yet listed for download on the FAA digital chart page.
I see now. It’s labeled TAC. Used to be INSET like can be seen in post #9 above. I always associated TAC, Terminal Area Chart, with Class B’s but I see now they have them for Anchorage and Puerto Rico also. Foreflight has the Anchorage one but not Puerto Rico.

upload_2021-10-14_13-29-49.png

upload_2021-10-14_13-31-16.png

Last edited:
The electronic version is fine, but go take a look at the actual, physical, printed chart (it's printed on the Seattle TAC). Somebody made a major screw-up (at least on all the physical Seattle TAC charts I've seen). The Portland inset is cropped out so all you get is a small slice of the western end of it -- it should be called the Hillsboro TAC, because PDX (and in fact, the entire city of Portland and its surroundings) are cropped out and missing. Quite a blaring error. Nice if you want to fly in to HIO or one of the grass strips around it, but utterly useless for Portland. Nice going, map office guys...

Back