PORTABLE Tugs or "helpers"

MikeTuggle

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
MikeT
For a Piper Saratoga fixed-gear, does anyone have a recommendation for anything like a REDLINE SIDEWINDER that will work with nose gear wheel pants?

Thanks,

image.jpg

The dog looks like a real "tug" and mine will be with me so I guess "portable" does apply.

But I really want something I can "throw in the back" like the one I referenced. There are quite a few that I could keep in a hanger or a pickup but I want PORTABLE.

Thanks,

I think you are SOL myself. Fly with two people to push it around.

My hangar is uphill in. I bought a winch at Harbor Freight and mounted it to a vertical steel post. I can pull my plane in. You can also bolt it to the floor. I can push it out by hand.

Most of the guys that have a tug end up with a 4 wheeler. Get one of the used Hondas that have an in front kit for a trailer hitch and get a tow bar. Pulling it in is best if you have the hangar depth. If not, with the right tow bar, you can push it. Best to use the trailer hitch on front. Those 4 wheelers are a blast driving around the airport and fit under a high wing.

YMMV.

Last edited:
Craigslist John Deere law tractor and $30 of stuff from Lowes and I have a tug.

Even with a Saratoga, I can't get the John Deere lawn tractor inside.

I can lift and push just fine but pulling a heavy load can throw my back out. The regular tow-bar is fine in most cases but sometimes....

I'd really like something like the Red Wing when I am away from home... SEE:
https://www.redlineaviation.com/wp-...ne-Aviation-Personal-Aircraft-Accessories.mp4

But we can't use that with the wheel pants.. :(

Back