Portable tug recommendation

Discussion in 'Flight Following' started by Jim Ragain, Dec 3, 2017.

1. Jim Ragain

Jim Ragain Filing Flight Plan

Display Name:

Display name:
    Jim Ragain
    Anyone have recommendation for a lightweight portable tug that will push/ pull a PA-32 on slight paved inclines? I need to be able to lift it in and out of a pickup. Thanks.

2. GRG55

GRG55 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Aztec Flyer
    Sinistar likes this.
  3. Sinistar

Sinistar Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad
    We used a old lawn tractor to pull the plane around the airport. Great for everything but pushing it back in. You better be a old farmer who's backed up haywagons for 50yrs to master that.

So, parked on craigslist and found a gas powered Nose Dragger one day. Our does have a couple different speeds each for forward and reverse - but always use the slowest. Excellent design, adjustable for different nose wheel sizes. Slight incline is no problem, just put some weight on the handle. Previous owner used to tug around a Bonanza.

But, I find it rather heavy to lift up and down. I can do it, but would not want lift it up and down very often. Lifting it to move it to your new hangar...sure. Lifting it for each flight - no way.

They do make a very compact cordless drill style one. Kinda spendy but sounds like exactly what you are searching for.
    http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/ro...MIr5OSjf_u1wIVHp7ACh0yzwMYEAYYAiABEgI1BPD_BwE

4. Sinistar

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad
    Oh...ice + any of these tugs = no joy.

5. creweite

creweite Pre-takeoff checklist

Display Name:

Display name:
    Creweite
    The price for that Sporty's product, over $1400, sounds very expensive for what it is!

6. Tom-D

Tom-D Taxi to Parking

Display Name:

Display name:
    Tom-D
    I know more owners that have winches mounted in their hangar than power tows.

7. JAWS

JAWS Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    JAWS
    Good excuse for a quad!

Sinistar likes this.
  8. Sinistar

Display Name:

Display name:
    Brad
    Was out of my budget too. But if the OP needs portable this seems to be it unless you homebrew a cordless drill with the right drive hardware.