Portable O2 for 182

Marc CYBW

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Marc CYBW
Any recommendations for a portable O2 system for 2 pilots in a 182? We fly IFR for up to 3 hrs at a time above 10,000'. Cannula for short trips and masks for longer ones. Club system is old and tired and we are considering buying our own.

Thanks
Marc

Aerox has a pretty good system with a variety of capacities depending on how much endurance you want.

I have an Aerox system an regularly fly 10-13K and only need the cannula. Of course my ground is 5280 AGL. I think I have either the D or M tank. I keep it in the padded case which is strapped to the back seat, not the back of the front seat.

i also have the aerox, cant remember exactly what bottle but i think it is a 9 cubic foot. it fits under my legs in the glider very nicely. hopefully i get to use it this weekend!

I did a DIY system. An O2 tank of your desired size and an eBay O2 regulator did the trick for me. For two people you'll need a splitter so you can plug in two cannulas. Total cost was about $150 for me with a huge tank and it works great. Keep a PulseOx with you, but that's good practice no matter what.

I've got a couple of writeups on my website www.peter2000.co.uk on oxygen systems.

If you use just cannulas (no demand regulators) then most systems are as good as each other. I have owned both Aerox and Mountain High kit, and prefer MH for the better connectors.

If you use demand regulators then MH is way ahead of everybody else on performance, and their electronic regulators are about 2x to 3x better than oxysaver cannulas.

I would not use this one.

129204257206299370.jpg

It would interfere with the use of headsets.

A have a Mountain High two passenger system with two pairs of canulas. Used once.

Make me an offer.

I bought 2 "D" sized medical cylinders from an on-line medical supply company (shop around for prices), a medical regulator on-line from ebay, and the Aerox retrofit kit for medical regulators with dual connectors including 2 cannulas and flow meters. That is the entire system and it cost significantly less that a any of the other commercial systems. The "head" is somewhat more bulky that the aviation systems but for the price ... I got a prescription for oxygen from my doctor after explaining why I wanted it.

You will also want a way to secure it in the plane.

Each fill is about $12-$15 through a welding company. I didn't want to do an exchange with the local medical supply as they wanted a regular delivery.

The system was a little over $300.

Last edited:
Cannula for short trips and masks for longer ones.

The instructions for my O2 system (from Nelson Aircraft Co.) say that cannulas can only be used up to 18,000 feet.

Filled my MH D-sized cylinder for the first time earlier this week, and tried it out with the finger pulse ox last night. I have the O2D2 pulse delivery system, two sets (flared nostril and normal) of cannulas, face masks, and MH's step-down regulator/adapter to connect to the T182T's built-in O2 system. Worked great last night. Will take it with me on the Gaston's trip, as a test run for OSH - APA - FTW in July.

Back