Portable intercom in addition to

cavmedic

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Qamakazi
I have been googling this and have not come up with any answers.

Has anyone used a portable intercom in addition to the on board to increase user abilities.

Lets say the rental only has one radio , but I wanted to interface my handheld with a portable intercom , to have a make shift dual radio setup for listening to ATIS without switching from the current freq, or monitoring another freq etc...

In theory the handheld would plug into the portable comm and the second place would plug into an open place on the panel for the right seat.

I can do it and it works with one of my commercial Motorola FM handhelds with a blue tooth dongle paired with my blue link. But that is only good for FM AKA using it for Ham air mobile .

Any ideas ?

I have been googling this and have not come up with any answers.

Has anyone used a portable intercom in addition to the on board to increase user abilities.

Lets say the rental only has one radio , but I wanted to interface my handheld with a portable intercom , to have a make shift dual radio setup for listening to ATIS without switching from the current freq, or monitoring another freq etc...

In theory the handheld would plug into the portable comm and the second place would plug into an open place on the panel for the right seat.

I can do it and it works with one of my commercial Motorola FM handhelds with a blue tooth dongle paired with my blue link. But that is only good for FM AKA using it for Ham air mobile .

Any ideas ?

Yeah. You got a license from the FCC called HAM that says you should know what you are doing. That places the burden of figuring out what is going on with you.

Portable and standard intercom interface do not belong in the same sentence.

Jim

Actually that license from the FCC doesn't mean I can possibly know absolutely everything. Part of the hobby is experimentation , and is what I am doing, just not related to the hobby. But before I shell out an extra hundred bucks or so for an experiment that may or may not work , just seeing if anyone has done something similar . I am not familiar with portable intercoms with radio interfaces at all and why I asked.

Don't know why ya gotta be a douche about it .

Actually that license from the FCC doesn't mean I can possibly know absolutely everything. Part of the hobby is experimentation , and is what I am doing, just not related to the hobby. But before I shell out an extra hundred bucks or so for an experiment that may or may not work , just seeing if anyone has done something similar . I am not familiar with portable intercoms with radio interfaces at all and why I asked.

Don't know why ya gotta be a douche about it .

I was kind of wondering the same thing about a portabble intercom. But I was gonna use it in a Polaris Ranger. Its louder than hell.

I agree with the "douche" attitude...

So far what I have come up with has been favorable . Depending on the audio outputs of the intercom and other features it may have, there will have to be some attenuation on the output to kinda match the inputs of the other . Without knowing the exact specs of each unit being used , possibly varying the resistance on the output to better match audio levels on the receive side, but getting the mic audio to be clean and clear may pose a challenge.

I ran into similar issues when I put an intercom on my motorcycle for rider to rider comms , but also interfaced a 2 way for vhf/uhf comms . I had to play with some capacitance levels across the mic feed to adjust for the audio range.

Impedance levels should be pretty close since both units are already designed for aviation headsets, so that should not be an issue. Guess biggest issue at this point would be over driving the inputs.

Last edited:
I was kind of wondering the same thing about a portabble intercom. But I was gonna use it in a Polaris Ranger. Its louder than hell.

I agree with the "douche" attitude...

If you are going to be wearing helmets , For my bike I used an autocom unit, and installed helmet speakers and a mic in our full faces.

DSC06656.jpg

DSC06654.jpg

DSC06652.jpg

Last edited:
We don't normally wear helmets. I was think about a headset application. I just need a cheapie portable intercom I can pug in the outlet.

Thanks for the tip, Mike

That is a good idea for that app. As long as the equipment can stand up to the elements etc.

Back