Port Clinton, OH. Lake Erie

calberto

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Calberto
Just flew up to Port Clinton, Ohio (KPCW). If you stop go to the diner there called the Tin Goose. 50s style diner with pretty good food.

Beautiful view of Lake Erie. Not too far from Cedar Point, Put-in bay, and Kelly's Island.

Very nice, even unique atmosphere, very "retro". I was not all that impressed with the food, however. Fair to middlin' seems about right. YMMV.

Do they have a full menu even? Perhaps they've expanded it. Been meaning to get back up there.

Are there still "Tin Geese" on the field? I lived there around 1975 and there were Ford Tri-Motors providing regular service to the islands. I was told that it included school bus service for kids.

Are there still "Tin Geese" on the field? I lived there around 1975 and there were Ford Tri-Motors providing regular service to the islands. I was told that it included school bus service for kids.
Nope.

The museum there is restoring one, though.

Ahhhhhh...Put In Bay.

The Mardi Gras of the north. Fond memories indeed.

Well, except for...

the fact that I always flew to the island so I couldn't drink.

and

all the young ladies showing their t*** were at least 25 years younger than me.

I still enjoyed the hell out of it though!!!

Last edited:
That part of my state is on my list this summer. Had a friend who lived on the lake, spent a few summers there.

Nope.

The museum there is restoring one, though.

The museum is attached to the Tin Goose restaurant, actually, and should probably be made time for during the trip. Among others they have a flying B-25, a flying Ford Tri-Motor (leased to EAA for the Tri-Motor tours promotion currently), Charlie Cartledges Grumman TBM, and parts of the Tri-Motor they're restoring on display. Many week-ends during the summer, the B-25 and TBM are out at air-shows, tho. A phone call will tell you in advance.

Personally enjoy the food, but we're usually up for late breakfast, which they do well. Menu is on-line.

Disclaimer...No personal connection to the restaurant or museum, other than my wife does BFR's for one of the B-25 pilots.

Jim

Breakfast was decent. Not the best I've had, but not bad.

I haven't eaten at the Tin Goose yet. Flying to PIB is the way to go. Second is to walk on the ferry. Never tke your car on the ferry over there in the summer. I've had friends/family wait over 2 hours to get on the ferry with their cars to get off island.

Was just up there about a week ago. Great little place, well worth the visit. Rather kicking myself that I didn't get up there sooner.

Thinking about the Tin Goose Saturday, before it hits the 90* mark. Looking at the menu, it looks pretty extensive. I need a view of the water.

Thinking about the Tin Goose Saturday, before it hits the 90* mark. Looking at the menu, it looks pretty extensive. I need a view of the water.
Don't think the Goose has that. It's on the south side of the field, on the other side of 9/27 from the Lake. Theoretically you might be able to see Sandusky Bay from one of the south windows, but I don't recall whether there were any, and it's across a major highway and probably at least a mile away anyway.

Unless, of course, you meant while en route. ;)

Yeah, the only times I've been there they were using 36 out over the bay. It's a nice <100 nm flight and having the lake come into view is nice. Tempted to skip over to PIB while I'm right there.

Not to hijack the thread, but Put In Bay is about the only GA airport I've ever heard of where the TSA regularly shows up and hassles GA pilots. At least they used to when I was in the area but that's been a half dozen years ago.

Not to hijack the thread, but Put In Bay is about the only GA airport I've ever heard of where the TSA regularly shows up and hassles GA pilots. At least they used to when I was in the area but that's been a half dozen years ago.

It's probably not a bad thing. The chances of anyone on that island being sober at any given point in the day are very small. For the few they inconvenience, they probably keep a lot more who shouldn't be flying on the ground

I get up there about once a year and nobody's ever hassled me.

I get up there about once a year and nobody's ever hassled me.
Well... same here, until I moved out to the PRoV. But I did narrowly miss getting ramped there once, missed my lucky chance by a day. Heard about the inspector who ramped every single pilot who landed... and this was on a holiday weekend, no less.

@timwinters, I've never heard of the *TSA* hassling pilots there, but FAA inspectors, definitely.

Don't they have a Customs and Border Patrol office there? I can see them checking pilots and planes.

@timwinters, I've never heard of the *TSA* hassling pilots there, but FAA inspectors, definitely.

I got hassled there once, it was about 6 years ago. It was definitely TSA because I tried to tell them to take a hike, that didn't last long.

I know of two others who were hassled within a year or so of my sweet little tryst with them...it might have been the same year, I don't recall exactly, it's been a while. One of the guys who also got hassled was Phil Sprang from over at CPS.

and maybe it was a temporary thing back when they were feeling their oats. I don't know. I haven't been up there since.

Last edited:
Border Patrol and local Sheriff were sweet talking pilots a few years ago when some friends and I landed with our wives. The more I stood there while they performed their theater act, the more PO'd I became. To object would have created a scene, probably landed me in their little jail, and ruined the trip. Besides they were so nice about it. :cool:

PCW is a nice stop. The diner was nice, sandwich was good, not great as others said. I'd definitely stop again. But the view! Wow the lake looked nice. The museum was $10 and good enough to check out all the toys. The story I heard is the owner is a CEO of a big company and a lot of the stuff was his toys. The Tri-Motor was in for annual and looked like a big job, vertical stab was off...IMG_4371.JPG IMG_4372.JPG

While there one of the museum curators was putting out Bob Crane's (Hogan's) hat in a display case. We got to talking and it turns out his son had donated the hat to the museum and it had just arrived. Also in the case was his flight jacket, as well as Colonel Klink's topcoat and Sargeant "I see Nothing!" Shultz overcoat too. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058812/mediaviewer/rm1671398656

Last edited:
Is the Mon Ami still open? great food a beautiful building, the used to pick us up at the airport.

Is the Mon Ami still open? great food a beautiful building, the used to pick us up at the airport.
I'm not sure, but their facebook page is active so I would assume they are. I was thinking of mentioning Mon Ami early on in the thread, but the focus was on the Goose so I decided not to. I went there once in 2011 or so. The transportation service was indeed great and I agree that the building was beautiful. The food, I have to say though, I found only so-so. Taken as a whole, the experience was definitely worth the visit.

I'm not sure, but their facebook page is active so I would assume they are. I was thinking of mentioning Mon Ami early on in the thread, but the focus was on the Goose so I decided not to. I went there once in 2011 or so. The transportation service was indeed great and I agree that the building was beautiful. The food, I have to say though, I found only so-so. Taken as a whole, the experience was definitely worth the visit.

too bad the food went down hill, when i first started going the (i think) Zapota family owned the place and the food was unbelievable, sevveral types of homemade bread, home made sesame seed salad dressing, and the pasta great, the portion was so big I am a big eater couldn't eat it all. Then I think Paramont or some big company bought it, was still good but not like before.

Are there places to park (the plane) by the museum/restaurant or do you have to park by the terminal and walk across the approach end of 36? Satellite view shows maybe two spots to park at behind the museum. Would assume those are usable for patrons. Might use this as a breakfast stop on my way out east this Spring.

Are there places to park (the plane) by the museum/restaurant or do you have to park by the terminal and walk across the approach end of 36? Satellite view shows maybe two spots to park at behind the museum. Would assume those are usable for patrons. Might use this as a breakfast stop on my way out east this Spring.
Last time I was there, I parked on the ramp behind the museum.

Yup....we parked 50 feet from the door last week-end. Ramp on that side does tend to fill up quickly on the week-ends, tho.

Jim

Edit- Correction...week-end before last...time flies! :)

Last edited:
There are two marked parking spots at the diner. The ramp at the diner has room for about six planes. While this area is most times open, the museum does close it from time to time if they are moving equipment or have one of their aircraft out for testing.
If you park on the FBO ramp you can walk to the diner BUT you can't just cut across the ramp and runway! This is a restricted area. There is a walkway OUTSIDE the fence along the road.
You can always go to the airport office and they will send a shuttle to pick you up and bring you back.
Thanks for visiting KPCW.

Back