Port Aransas, TX to close Airport for September

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
To our fly-in guests on POA:

Port Aransas is closing our Mustang Beach Airport (KRAS) for one month, starting at 6 AM on Tuesday, September 2nd. For most of us, this means we must have our planes off the island Monday night.

We will be moving our hotel's courtesy car to T.P McCampbell Airport (KTFP), located just 9 n.m. across the bay on the mainland, for the duration. Fly-in guests will have access to our car BY RESERVATION only. Because of the distances involved, we will be unable to serve more than one pilot guest per night. This means that only one pilot guest will be able to use the car at a time.

We apologize for this inconvenience. :nonod:

With the hotel being so interconnected to KRAS, I wonder if you can post announcements like these in the general NOTAMS??? (sorta kidding, but maybe?)

With the hotel being so interconnected to KRAS, I wonder if you can post announcements like these in the general NOTAMS??? (sorta kidding, but maybe?)

Mmmm...probably not.

Funnily enough, FSS kept telling our part-time airport manager that they would not accept his airport closure NOTAM more than 72 hours in advance. Of course, being Labor Day weekend, that would put a whole bunch of potential fly-in visitors at risk of being trapped at a closed airport for a month.

He finally got one of them to ask some 'crat at the FAA for an exception, which was granted. I haven't checked myself, but he told me that the airport is NOTAM'd closed starting Tuesday morning. :no: :no: :no:

Jay, do you have pics of the airport, hotel, scenery etc??? I would like to show my wife where we be going sometime this fall. Also, are you going to the Red Bull race?

Paul - Iowa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jay, do you have pics of the airport, hotel, scenery etc??? I would like to show my wife where we be going sometime this fall. Also, are you going to the Red Bull race?

Paul - Iowa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure. We're on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/AmeliasLandingHotel?ref=hl

www.AmeliasLanding.com

I would recommend Google Earth to become familiar with the area. Here's a few YouTube videos I took of flying around the area:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z42GFPrM2uo&list=UU2_U4UFN1Y3-tHPe_OrVbIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0nM6SZoykU&list=UU2_U4UFN1Y3-tHPe_OrVbIQ

Yep, we'll be at the races next weekend! :)

That really stinks. I was hoping to fly down there soon once the summer rush was over. I was going to ask why, but I guess we will all find out together. I am hoping for more ramp space. The times that I have flown down there planes were parked in the grass.

Jay..they are closing your home airport for a month and you don't know why?

Jay..they are closing your home airport for a month and you don't know why?
100% correct. None of it makes sense.

The official story goes like this:

"In order to install the new, uber-high-voltage (like, a 5000 volt transformer!) runway lights, they have to install oil-drum-sized canisters beneath each light. This will require lots of digging and grading, right next to the runway. In the interest of safety, we must close the airport."

This, as we all know, is bull$chit. We have all flown into airports with major work being done next to the runways that weren't 100% closed for an entire month. When confronted with this reality by actual experienced airport tenant pilots, the controlling authority here just shrugged and said, in essence, "Tough titty".

Worse, as far as I've been able to tell, NO ONE REQUESTED NEW RUNWAY LIGHTS. Yes, the photo-cell on the current ones died a year ago (and no one could be bothered to replace it -- despite offers by airport users to do it FOR FREE) so the lights have been on continuously -- but they work just fine.

Theories abound. The most likely one, IMHO: Someone in power is related to the electrical contractor who is installing the lights. When the grant became available, they took it. That's the way everything is done here -- it's a good ol' boy network, and favors are granted to those in the circle.

The painful irony is that it's all being paid for by hapless Texas taxpayers who have NO idea that airport tenants and users don't need new runway lights. More painful yet: What we desperately need are new hangars, and a repaved ramp -- and those needs are being ignored (or, as they like to say, "deferred").

It is the perfect microcosm of everything that's wrong with government. To sum up:

1. The airport is run by people with no interest or experience in aviation.

2. The funding process has little connection to the actual needs of the airport community.

3. The people who actually use the airport have no voice in the decision making process.

4. The people with the most clout, who could potentially influence decisions -- the hangar owners -- are largely absentee, out-of-town owners, with little connection to Port Aransas.

As one airport user eloquently put it: "The ramp is crumbling, causing damage to aircraft, there are no hangars for transient or local pilots, businesses that want to operate here cannot (due to no hangar space) -- and they give us new runway lights?"

All of these things combine to create what we call a "Drunk Monkey Airport" -- meaning that it's run as if there were a bunch of drunk monkeys making these decisions. Unfortunately for the citizens, the monkeys have a direct line to your wallet, and the power to empty it.

"In order to install the new, uber-high-voltage (like, a 5000 volt transformer!) runway lights, they have to install oil-drum-sized canisters beneath each light. This will require lots of digging and grading, right next to the runway. In the interest of safety, we must close the airport."

This, as we all know, is bull$chit. We have all flown into airports with major work being done next to the runways that weren't 100% closed for an entire month. When confronted with this reality by actual experienced airport tenant pilots, the controlling authority here just shrugged and said, in essence, "Tough titty".

Worse, as far as I've been able to tell, NO ONE REQUESTED NEW RUNWAY LIGHTS. Yes, the photo-cell on the current ones died a year ago (and no one could be bothered to replace it -- despite offers by airport users to do it FOR FREE) so the lights have been on continuously -- but they work just fine.

Theories abound. The most likely one, IMHO: Someone in power is related to the electrical contractor who is installing the lights. When the grant became available, they took it. That's the way everything is done here -- it's a good ol' boy network, and favors are granted to those in the circle.

The painful irony is that it's all being paid for by hapless Texas taxpayers who have NO idea that airport tenants and users don't need new runway lights. More painful yet: What we desperately need are new hangars, and a repaved ramp -- and those needs are being ignored (or, as they like to say, "deferred").

It is the perfect microcosm of everything that's wrong with government. To sum up:

2. The funding process has little connection to the actual needs of the airport community.

3. The people who actually use the airport have no voice in the decision making process.

4. The people with the most clout, who could potentially influence decisions -- the hangar owners -- are largely absentee, out-of-town owners, with little connection to Port Aransas.

As one airport user eloquently put it: "The ramp is crumbling, causing damage to aircraft, there are no hangars for transient or local pilots, businesses that want to operate here cannot (due to no hangar space) -- and they give us new runway lights?"

All of these things combine to create what we call a "Drunk Monkey Airport" -- meaning that it's run as if there were a bunch of drunk monkeys making these decisions. Unfortunately for the citizens, the monkeys have a direct line to your wallet, and the power to empty it.

So... You do know why; you just don't like the reason.

So... You do know why; you just don't like the reason.
I have reported their stated reason. That reason doesn't stand up to scrutiny.

To repeat, I don't know anyone who knows the reason for the month long, 24/7 airport closure.

To repeat, I don't know anyone who knows the reason for the month long, 24/7 airport closure.

The only thing that will bring a change here is to inform the local newspaper/s and TV news. Tell them what you know and have them ask the questions. That is one way to break the backroom deals sometimes.

They always love a story about taxpayer waste and corruption.

Could it be that the FAA is requiring a lighting upgrade? Maybe this is mandated by a drunken monkey with even higher authority.

The only thing that will bring a change here is to inform the local newspaper/s and TV news. Tell them what you know and have them ask the questions. That is one way to break the backroom deals sometimes.

They always love a story about taxpayer waste and corruption.

Could it be that the FAA is requiring a lighting upgrade? Maybe this is mandated by a drunken monkey with even higher authority.
Well, that's possible -- although no one has mentioned that as a reason. And by "no one" I mean neither the city manager or the airport manager.

You have to remember, this is the same airport with no tie down ropes (if you leave them behind when you depart, the city will remove them), and no weather computer in the vacant FBO building (despite offers of donated computers from multiple sources, including Amelias Landing Hotel), because "it might get stolen".

It's a strange airport, unlike any other I've been based at. The only thing it has of value is location, and that's enough to keep me here, for now.

And being construction work, it will probably run late, meaning the airport will be closed longer than a month. :hairraise:

Jay,

I suggest you keep an eye out for bulldozers. Your airport may become condos if local government isn't stopped. Politicians have been known to be sneaky. Think in terms of Meigs.

Either something's rotten in Denmark, or there's a perfectly legitimate reason why this is being done the way it's being done ...

But it makes this person see where keeping an eye on your local airport and what's going on is important if you want a good reliable airport.

Thanks for the link Cap'n. I want to see what's going on more at our local if I can find anything.

Is this airport threatened by the community, or developers? Maybe contact the AOPA airport advocate folks. They might be able to get to the bottom of it. A month long closure for lighting upgrades seems pretty wrong, but I'm no expert on airport management.

Is this airport threatened by the community, or developers? Maybe contact the AOPA airport advocate folks. They might be able to get to the bottom of it. A month long closure for lighting upgrades seems pretty wrong, but I'm no expert on airport management.
The old saying goes "Never attribute to conspiracy that which may more easily be explained by stupidity or incompetence" seems to apply here.

I don't think there's any malice in this airport closure, and there are too many high rollers flying into this island paradise for them to permanently close the airport. No, I believe this is a simple case of incompetence, coupled with greed, corruption, and the fact that few local voters give a hoot.

It sure isn't because anyone was demanding new lights. lol

Let us know what you find out when you speak to the Southwest Region Airports office on Tuesday. Until then, there's not much you're going to accomplish.

Let us know what you find out when you speak to the Southwest Region Airports office on Tuesday. Until then, there's not much you're going to accomplish.
I didn't set out to accomplish anything -- I gave up on that long ago. Someone asked why the airport was closed, and I answered.

I didn't set out to accomplish anything -- I gave up on that long ago.

So then why are you complaining? Do you believe complaining on an internet forum will accomplish anything? :dunno:

Someone asked why the airport was closed, and I answered.

You tell me, and we'll both know.

So at first you pretend not to know the reason.....

This, as we all know, is bull$chit.

Do we? Have you seen the plans for the relighting? Have you actually spoke to ANYONE in connection with the project? :dunno:

We have all flown into airports with major work being done next to the runways that weren't 100% closed for an entire month. When confronted with this reality by actual experienced airport tenant pilots, the controlling authority here just shrugged and said, in essence, "Tough titty".

What was the actual response versus the "editorialized" version you presented here?

So your airport is getting upgrades and you oppose it? :dunno: :mad2:

More editorializing with no real facts in evidence. But does make for a great diatribe. :rolleyes:

Scrutiny??? You first claim to not know anything, then you claim to know, then you editorialize and begin putting inane twist to the stories.....

Here's a suggestion, get real facts first. As suggested you could easily call the FAA ACO (Airport Certification Office) and talk directly to a source (and possibly resolve a problem) but you feel ranting on the internet will somehow "fix" your problem. :rolleyes2:

Many years ago during an airport project the airport manager closed a taxiway to my business citing "safety". I made a call to the FAA ACO and explained the situation and the taxiway was opened within a couple of hours. :rolleyes:

So then why are you complaining? Do you believe complaining on an internet forum will accomplish anything? :dunno:
So at first you pretend not to know the reason.....
Do we? Have you seen the plans for the relighting? Have you actually spoke to ANYONE in connection with the project? :dunno:
What was the actual response versus the "editorialized" version you presented here?
So your airport is getting upgrades and you oppose it? :dunno: :mad2:
More editorializing with no real facts in evidence. But does make for a great diatribe. :rolleyes:
Scrutiny??? You first claim to not know anything, then you claim to know, then you editorialize and begin putting inane twist to the stories.....
Here's a suggestion, get real facts first. As suggested you could easily call the FAA ACO (Airport Certification Office) and talk directly to a source (and possibly resolve a problem) but you feel ranting on the internet will somehow "fix" your problem. :rolleyes2:
Many years ago during an airport project the airport manager closed a taxiway to my business citing "safety". I made a call to the FAA ACO and explained the situation and the taxiway was opened within a couple of hours. :rolleyes:
:yeahthat:

My airport is closing on the 17th...resurfacing runway and taxiway and also taking a big hump out of the middle of the runway. They say three weeks. I doubt it'll reopen before Nov 1.

Fortunately my AME has space in his hangar at KCGI which is just as close. A heated hangar...I may not be back until April! :goofy:

I realize the pointlessness of answering, but for the benefit of the group...here goes:

I've attended the meetings -- and helped stop the initial (insane) plan, which was to do this airport closure in JULY -- the busiest tourist month of the year. To stop that lunacy I would have taken legal action -- thankfully, that wasn't necessary, after the city manager was shown the error of his plans.

I've spoken with the airport manager, whom I consider a friend. I've spoken with the city manager. I live here, I own a business here, I pay beaucoup taxes here, and I'm based at this airport, where I fly over 190 times per year.

When I say "No one knows why we are getting runway lights now, or why the airport must be closed to accomplish this", I'm not making it up. I have speculated here, in answer to a specific question, and used the bits and pieces we airport users have heard to comprise a working theory, which is basically that they got a grant and took it.

This isn't an FAA project -- it's a Texas Dept of Transportation project, with some local funding. I don't believe there is any federal money involved, although it could be flowing through TXDOT.

But of course, all of this ignores the 600-pound gorilla in the room, which is this: Why, with crying, vocal, and obvious needs for hangars and new pavement, are Texas taxpayers buying us new runway lights that no user requested? And why must the airport be closed for a month to accomplish this task? Those are the two questions that simply cannot be answered logically, because the action is illogical.

As for asking the FAA, if you feel like wading knee deep into the FAA bureaucracy to find out the official reasoning, have at it. I'm sure the answer would be...creative.

Wait. After decades of attending airport commission meetings, I think I know how they will answer: "The runway lighting project is part of the long term master plan that includes extending the runway and building new hangars on the North side of RWY 12/30. To this end, grading along the edge of the runway will require heavy equipment to operate in close proximity to the runway, requiring closure of the airport's single runway for the duration, blah blah blah".

Sound about right? Of course, that boilerplate answer won't address the fact that NO ONE WANTS OR NEEDS NEW RUNWAY LIGHTS right now, and in any event they should not be prioritized ahead of desperately needed paving and hangar projects.

Another interesting tidbit: The city sent a letter out to known airport users, announcing the closure. That was the perfect venue to explain the project. They chose not to use this venue -- or any other, to my knowledge -- to explain the logic behind closing the airport to install runway lights.

To me, that can only mean two things:

1. The project either has no logic to be explained

Or

2. The powers that be don't deign the users of the airport important enough to merit any explanation.

Neither answer is good. Somehow, some way, our employees appear to have forgotten who is signing their paychecks.

Okay, you're now free to pick nits. (Spoken as James Earl Jones/Darth Vadar) "It is your...destiny." :)

Yay, so you are getting new lights. Have they fixed the fuel pump yet? We flew from KRAS to your new temporary base of ops because of that damn slow pump.

Yay, so you are getting new lights. Have they fixed the fuel pump yet? We flew from KRAS to your new temporary base of ops because of that damn slow pump.
Yes! After years of outcry, they finally got the (brand, new, uber-expensive) fuel farm to pump faster than an old man with prostate trouble! ;)

(It was so slow that everyone stopped buying gas here. It took, like, 15 minutes to top off our RV! Imagine filling a Navajo?)

Better yet -- the price per gallon is now CHEAPER than any surrounding airport! :)

Too bad you've only got another 48 hours or so to take advantage. :(

You've made it painfully clear you aren't interested in facts, just pumping endless hyperbole and portraying yourself as the victim (once again).

I gather you are more ****ed off about having to move your airplane for a month than anything else. :nonod: :rolleyes2:

You've made it painfully clear you aren't interested in facts, just pumping endless hyperbole and portraying yourself as the victim (once again).

I gather you are more ****ed off about having to move your airplane for a month than anything else. :nonod: :rolleyes2:

We know the only fact that matters: Our airport is being closed for a month for no good reason.

Am I ****ed off? Hell, yes! I've already had a group fly-in cancel for September, thanks to this situation. And I now get to add 90 minutes to every flight I wish to take.

And in the end, when all is said and done, after all that inconvenience and lost income, we will still have the same crumbling ramp, the same gravelly taxiways, and no more hangars. What a hellacious waste of time and money!

Contractor should work at night so the airport can be open during the day. We had lights replaced here and taxiway and other paving and restriping done. No day time closures took place.

Contractor should work at night so the airport can be open during the day. We had lights replaced here and taxiway and other paving and restriping done. No day time closures took place.

Exactly. We've all seen this done, at airports all across America.

I still don't see the usefulness of complaining on an Internet forum does in this situation. Seems to me the Texas DOT would be more useful in getting something resolved, or the ACO (if federal grant money is involved).

I still don't see the usefulness of complaining on an Internet forum does in this situation. Seems to me the Texas DOT would be more useful in getting something resolved, or the ACO (if federal grant money is involved).

The last TXDOT representative who came to Port Aransas, smoking hot and ready to make the city run the airport by the rules, got his nuts kicked so far up in his throat that we have literally never seen him again.

Seriously, he was interviewed by the local paper, and quoted as saying "Either Port Aransas stops running the airport like a private enterprise, or they will have to give back all of the TXDOT grant money they have received." (This was in reference to the hangar monopoly on the field -- a whole 'NOTHER topic.) Within 48 hours, this man -- an honest straight shooter that I've known for years, even back in Iowa -- absolutely disappeared.

The story goes that one of the billionaire absentee hangar owners on the field called up one of his bought-and-paid-for politicians in Austin, who called this guy's boss's, boss's, boss, and told him to "Back off!"

Like I said, it's a giant good ol' boy's network here. Nothing gets done without grease.

The last TXDOT representative who came to Port Aransas, smoking hot and ready to make the city run the airport by the rules, got his nuts kicked so far up in his throat that we have literally never seen him again.

Seriously, he was interviewed by the local paper, and quoted as saying "Either Port Aransas stops running the airport like a private enterprise, or they will have to give back all of the TXDOT grant money they have received." (This was in reference to the hangar monopoly on the field -- a whole 'NOTHER topic.) Within 48 hours, this man -- an honest straight shooter that I've known for years, even back in Iowa -- absolutely disappeared.

The story goes that one of the billionaire absentee hangar owners on the field called up one of his bought-and-paid-for politicians in Austin, who called this guy's boss's, boss's, boss, and told him to "Back off!"

Like I said, it's a giant good ol' boy's network here. Nothing gets done without grease.

Ah, more hyperbole. :rolleyes2:

So with that, there is absolutely no reason to make a phone call and discuss the situation. :rolleyes2:

Who knows, maybe one of the readers here will get it fixed for you. :rolleyes:

Carry on..........

Welcome to Texas.

This isn't what's wrong with Government, this is what's wrong with People.

Actually, there's more work being done than just runway lighting. From TXDOT's bid specification:

In general, the work consists of Rehabilitate and mark Runway 12-30, partial parallel Taxiway
and stubs; Rehabilitate terminal apron; Replace MIRL Runway 12-30 and install security
fencing, lighting and video surveillance at the Mustang Beach Airport.

https://www.dot.state.tx.us/avn/avninfo/notice/construct/mustgntb.pdf

Back