Port Aransas Trip

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
Had a cool trip this weekend and worth checking out if you haven't been.
We stayed at Jay Honek's place (Amelia's Landing) which is an aviation themed hotel.

Each room has a different theme.
He put us up in the spin zone room which was nice but it was hard to sleep with the giant mural of Walter Mondale on the ceiling looking down on me.

I hadn't met Jay or Mary before and they are two of the the nicest people. Of course I am going to post that on the forum right? Well if I thought they were azzholes, I would just be like "Oh they have this great hotel and Jay has a cool beard". No, they went out of their way to take care of us.

I land and Jay is waiting for me, helps me tie my plane down, drives us around the island, showing us where to eat and drink, drives us down to the beach, takes us back to the hotel and gives me and Eren Booze, a map showing where to go and where to avoid. We probably talked with them for an hour, sharing flying stories and just chatting. I know they had work to do but they let us talk their ears off and ask questions about their history in aviation and on the island. Really really nice couple.

Also, for 10 bucks a pop, he let us ride his handicap chair lift into the pool :goofy: (c'mon that's funny right Spike?)

Some photos from the trip

Climbing through the scattered layer on the way out (KDTO off the wingtip)
attachment.php

A cool cell we avoided on the way out (KAFW getting splashed)
attachment.php

Nearing the airfield
attachment.php

Landing at Mustang Beach

Amelia's Landing
attachment.php

I S*** you not. I get to my room, and turn on the TV and this is playing
attachment.php

Departing this morning
The rain followed us
attachment.php

A little scud running out to the gulf to get up and over.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Stop for lunch in Fredericksburg before heading back home.
attachment.php

It was a really cool flight and we will go again when we can spend more than one day. If you can get down there, I recommend it and let Jay know you are coming. We were really treated above and beyond.

Always nice to meet another POA'er.
Thanks for taking care of us!

Attachments

• 20150919_132419.jpg
    20150919_132419.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 346
  • 20150919_131857.jpg
    20150919_131857.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 337
  • appr.jpg
    appr.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 338
  • JaysPlace.jpg
    JaysPlace.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 340
  • CrashShow.jpg
    CrashShow.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 340
  • 20150920_092740.jpg
    20150920_092740.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 337
  • 20150920_093408.jpg
    20150920_093408.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 340
  • hh.jpg
    hh.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 342
  • 20150920_093356.jpg
    20150920_093356.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 339
  • 20150920_093350.jpg
    20150920_093350.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
So was it your AC unit he was bellyaching about replacing on Facebook, lamenting having to work on a weekend? :D :goofy: :D

So was it your AC unit he was bellyaching about replacing on Facebook, lamenting having to work on a weekend? :D :goofy: :D

HaHaHa

No, our room was great.
They had us in another room but they moved us telling us "We know Eren is taking lessons so we felt it appropriate to put in the "Women of aviation" room."

Little details like that are pretty cool. Obviously we have a POA connection but Eren posts on here like once a month and for them to remember details like that and shuffle things is nice.

It was all good

Now between you, me, and the wall, we created a self guided walking appetizer / drinks tour of the island and the end is really foggy. I know the last place we went but if you told me a magic fairy flew us back to our room, I have no memories that could dispute that. :)

Now between you, me, and the wall, we created a self guided walking appetizer / drinks tour of the island and the end is really foggy. I know the last place we went but if you told me a magic fairy flew us back to our room, I have no memories that could dispute that. :)

Bwahaha! After consuming the Bombay Sapphire, the Shiner, and then later listening to the police scanner (and all the crazy bar action on the island) after not hearing from you for four hours, I thought for sure I was gonna be bailing you two out last night! ;)

Seriously, it was great to meet you both! My only regret is that you had less than 24 hours to enjoy the island. That's totally like trying to eat a single potato chip -- there's just too many great places to hit.

Heck, did you even go to the beach?

Next time, plan on at least two nights, and we will try to get our staff lined up so we can join you for at least a few bars!
:)

Sounds like fun ,a list of your touring stops( bars ) would be nice.

Sounds like a great place, and thanks for the pictures.

Definitely sounds like y'all had fun. Mary and Jay are awesome people and when the weather cools down some (and after I pull the dang stitches from my hand), we will be returning to their fun motel.

There has been talk of PoA invasion at Amelia's Landing one weekend but haven't heard much more. We should resume the talks. :)

We really had a great time. And, no, we didn't make it to the beach. We are definitely planning a second visit, and this time we might even allow the rugrats to join us. They would love the beach, as well as the tourist shops with the giant sharks out front and stuff. Plus, they could walk us home after we do another booze tour (kidding! kidding!).

Our tour went like this:
Amelia's front lobby -Shiner and Bombay
Castaways -jalapeno poppers and Landsharks
The Phoenix -glass of wine
Port Aransas Brewery -chips & queso, and a flight of beers -though those basically just sat there as none were any good (Jay tried to warn us)
The Gaff -looked around & left, were ready for some food
Venetian Hot Plate -some amazing pepper-crusted tuna dish and one last glass of wine

And somehow we managed to find our way back to our room! And then there was breakfast waiting for us when we came to the next morning. :goofy:

Great trip, even though it was pretty quick. But it was enough to get us excited about coming back.

Thanks, Jay and Mary, for the great time!

Thanks for the pirep on the bars. Also nice pictures.not sure the chamber of commerce is going to like the pictures of the rain.

Pity that wing is in the way... You shoulda got a high wing! Just kidding... Great pictures and Jay owes you because this is quite an enticing advertisement... I'll have to make it down there someday.

Pity that wing is in the way... You shoulda got a high wing! Just kidding... Great pictures and Jay owes you because this is quite an enticing advertisement... I'll have to make it down there someday.
There's always a cold one on ice for our POA sisters and brothers!
:)

"Port A...a quaint little drinking village with a fishing problem..."
;)

BTW: If any of you ever wanted to do a fly out here, we could arrange a fishing charter for y'all. There are boats big enough here to carry all of us! We've got a couple of commercial freezers at the hotel we can use to turn your catch into fishsicles that will make it home for future consumption. Fresh gulf fish is amazing.

I just wish 6PC had taken a picture of that uniquely endowed dog.

I think the wing is one of the best parts of the picture.

I think the wing is one of the best parts of the picture.

Spoken like a true pilot :D

Non-pilots think "WTF is that white thing in the picture blocking the view?". It's like some weird leg intruding into the picture.

Im too lazy to look on my own. How long a flight was it from DTO? Ill do the conversion from Cirrus speed to C182 speed...

2 hours direct.
We swung out to victoria so we could have a nice flight along the coast on the way in. It was beautiful.

I know what you are getting at but watch where they take this...:rolleyes2:

Ugh, I really am not being careful with my words today.

I fell asleep. I always fall asleep in the plane. And Bryan likes to take pictures of me sleeping in the plane.

We've taken a couple day trips down to Port A from Houston. It's a lot of fun and the beaches are definitely nicer than Galveston. We usually rent a golf cart for the day and that can take us anywhere in Port A. If you rent it from Coastal Eds they will even drop off and pick up the golf cart at the airport. The only place you can't drive the golf cart is on the highway itself but everything else is fair game.

My wife and I are planning a multi-day weekend down there as well and will most likely stay at Amelia's Landing, we've heard nothing but good recommendations.

Im too lazy to look on my own. How long a flight was it from DTO? Ill do the conversion from Cirrus speed to C182 speed...

I've done the flight in 55WB... it's just a shade over 3 hours.

If y'all go, make sure to request the Gustave Whitehead room.

That was Eren's joke.
I stole it :)

Back