Port-a-Cool System Cool Shirt

Exocetid

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Exocetid
I searched, if this has been discussed mea culpa and please point me to the thread.

I came across a "Pilot Cooling System" that consists of a t-shirt fitted with tubing and a "CFC-free" aerosol coolant that you spray into the shirt as needed. The site (www.pilotcooling.com) claims 2-3 hours, but comments on an identical system for racing car drivers say 2 hours is about it per can. Two hours works for me since I only need it near the ground.

Does anyone have one of these and use it for flying? The Texas heat has just become unbearable.

This appeals to me because it is simple, inexpensive and uses no ice/water. The real issue is, does it work?

What you're really looking for is something to keep away heatstroke, right? I have serious problems out here in Colorado in the summer and use one of those cooling kerchiefs that you soak in water (hydroscopic crystals inside the bandana) and tie around your neck. Works out here, works great at Oshkosh. It's keeping the blood flow thru the carotoid artery cooler, hence keeping you cooler. I've seen them at most of the sporting good stores, around $3-8 depending on style, size and manufacturer. Certainly beats the $140 tshirt.

Last edited:
not to mention the $300 cooler... :rolleyes:

I'd rather just get one of those cooler gizmos that will cool the whole cockpit.

What you're really looking for is something to keep away heatstroke, right? I have serious problems out here in Colorado in the summer and use one of those cooling kerchiefs that you soak in water (hydroscopic crystals inside the bandana) and tie around your neck. Works out here, works great at Oshkosh. It's keeping the blood flow thru the carotoid artery cooler, hence keeping you cooler. I've seen them at most of the sporting good stores, around $3-8 depending on style, size and manufacturer. Certainly beats the $140 tshirt.

Those won't work in Southeast Texas (Houston outback) since we typically see 80+% humidity. Anything that works with water will not work here.

That said, the ice coolers that just use the ice indirectly (ArticAir, et al) work fine, but the size of the damn things along with the ice and the eventual water issue make them less than desirable--then there is the cost.

I like the idea of the can of Freon (well, CFC-free Freon substitute) that you use as needed. Clean, light, on demand and no mess. Of course, it sounds too good to be true, which is why I posted here. I'd like to hear from someone who has used one in a hot-and-humid-as-hell cockpit.

Take a look at this. Probably more than you care to spend, but much more detail than the pilotcooling system.

When it's humid, these systems will have condensation all over them and you will have wet underpants.

When it's humid, these systems will have condensation all over them and you will have wet underpants.

And that's why I left Houston. I suffered there for 7 years (fortunatey, only had to spend 2 summers there - great job traveling 6-9 months of the year)

Felt like two showers a day, and only one of them was in the morning at home.

Back