Porsche cayman

I own a Boxster - same car in hardtop. Buy one - but get the convertible.

If you live in a climate cool enough to not 'need' a convertible, you ain't gonna be driving a Cayman from November to April anyway. Which means you need another car - Which means you will be able to use the convertible from May- October - see? Buy the Boxster.

I live very near the city. Lots of breakins in malls, parking lots ( in cars) so I bought a base cayman 2014 with PDK. Do you like yours? Has it been reliable? Etc. thanks. ( I owned a carrera s but had a chance to sell it for a good price , private sale, then wished I'd kept it. ) wife loves to fly and likes porches so how can I lose? She can't shift, hence the PDK.

Had one. What do you want to know? I'm guessing the RMS problem. Yes, it's real. Yes it's costly. Porsche finally stepped up and admitted they have a problem, but getting it fixed on their dime is very, very, very hard to do. The Cayman has the second generation seal and bearing which is not as prone to failure but still a concern. The Cayman didn't come out until 2006, while the Boxter came out in 96-ish after the end of the 968(which I still have).

Cayman's are mostly made in Finland, but if you get the right character in the VIN you can see if it was built in Germany.

The website for all things Porsche is called forums.rennlist.com, and you will find pretty much all tech questions answered there.

This was another reason I sold the Carrera s. Many bad stories about main bearings, seals etc. it still had 10 months on the warranty so I figured I'd better get rid of it but the new owner has had no problems. I never thought I'd like an auto but the PDK is unreal! FAST! have you had any serious troubles?

I bought one that had a IMS failure. I replaced the engine and did the IMS upgrade kit. As soon as potential buyers knew the update kit was installed even after I disclosed the engine was replaced it sold for asking price within hours after I listed it on craigslist.

Hard to believe that as long as they've been making boxer engines they would have these problems. " German engineering" and all that. I figured that I might be sleeping sooner rather than later, so I might as well take another run at a porsche. Dealer says, " many of the failures you read about are due to poor maintence, track racing, overrevving, etc. " true?

Last edited:
No, the direct cause of the bearing failure was a poorly designed seal which let oil pool in a ball bearing area. After a while, the oil would break down, or get dirty and the bearing would fail.

There are several kits avail that can be installed which minimize the failure. There's also a cute little detector to let you know that your seal has failed, and bearing failure is imminent. changing oil very often seems to keep it at bay, but even then unless you know the history from the start, or know that the bearing has been upgraded to the latest version, it's a time bomb.

<edit: The 2011 and later engines are holding up much better after version 3 of the bearing and seal were designed. Edit to the edit: I was mistaken on the version 3 bearing. In 2009/10, the cam drive was redesigned and no longer uses a IMS, so there is no bearing to fail. Sorry >

Last edited:
It's a Porsche with panties

If it doesn't say 911 or GT on the back don't bother.

For the same money you can get a C6 Z06 :dunno:

I have a 97 Boxster with 143K miles. Never had a problem with the core of the engine and I drive it hard. Only things I have had to replace is water pump and radiators. Did first clutch and rear brakes at 130K. The RMS problem is real but it's not a given for any individual engine.

Sorta off topic, but are there any of these lower cost "baby convertible sports cars" available with the microscopic back seat any more?

As I recall, the miata, boxster, Z3, etc don't even have the small shelf behind the seats available with the top down. I think the more expensive options like the 911, Jag, etc. still do.

If like to find an "affordable" small convertible with that space/area.

You can pick up a 4-year old convertible Jag with a cute back seat for less than a new Boxster. The hardtop back seat is actually usable. The top does not take away any trunk space when down, either. I took mine on our honeymoon for a week, and all of her luggage fit! [I had one carry-on-size duffel.]

I bought a little Toyota MR2 convertible because I figured it was a Toyota and would run forever. The engine is begin rebuilt as I type this...

Sorta off topic, but are there any of these lower cost "baby convertible sports cars" available with the microscopic back seat any more?

How old are you willing to look?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ND[]][]]&minPrice=1&listingId=359267671&Log=0

This is basically what I have. I've owned it for about 14 years. My kids love riding in the back, but now that they are graduating college, they ask to borrow it. The Mondial cabrio in various trims was built from 83-95. Later years have better engines, and more refined body work.

The MR2 lives?!

The one I crashed got junked. I subsequently saw one of the same color for sale just down the street from my house. Fool me once…

Six months later the new to me one threw a rod. I'm going to be into it for so much more than its worth it isn't funny. Sort of like being an airplane owner.

And I thought I was less endowed than average. Suddenly I feel like John Holmes!

I agree on the 911. It's the ultimate. I'm in geezer stage and a 911 is above my pay grade. The cayman is plenty fast for me and seems to be pretty snappy. The PDK is amazing with the paddles. I am supposed to pick it up Thursday so I greatly appreciate everyone's input. The later models get pretty good owner comments on the porsche sites. Thanks again! In the end, it's like an airplane, sound advise is given but mr. Toad of toad hall gets emotional . Bad trait. I'm certainly guilty of that.

Last edited:
The one I crashed got junked. I subsequently saw one of the same color for sale just down the street from my house. Fool me once…

Six months later the new to me one threw a rod. I'm going to be into it for so much more than its worth it isn't funny. Sort of like being an airplane owner.

How does that "fool me twice" saying go?? :D

Which brings up another burning question......is it porsche or porsche-A ? I often say porch as it gets a raised eyebrow. If someone asked what it was....the 911, I said the salesman told me it was a Hudson. ( wife's sister said " oh it's so noisey and bumpy" first and last ride she ever got.) certainly not a keeper.

Last edited:
With the mid engine , the cayman is supposed to be very well balanced. From what I've read, if two real prosche race drivers drove a 911 against the cayman s over a course , the cayman would be right on his tail. I would arrive half an hour later, ..........maybe. I sure miss george carlin!

Which brings up another burning question......is it porsche or porsche-A ? I often say porch as it gets a raised eyebrow. If someone asked what it was....the 911, I said the salesman told me it was a Hudson. ( wife's sister said " oh it's so noisey and bumpy" first and last ride she ever got.) certainly not a keeper.

Quote from the old German tech at the Porsche Audi dealer when I started there. "If you are going to be vorking her for long, you must know. It is pronounced Porsch-A. a porch is in your back yard." He used to order parts in German. I had a really steep learning curve dealing with him. He taught the other import techs German as well. Teased the Mazda techs for not learning Japanese.. He also gave me great advice when I was rebuilding the engine on my 65.

I've thought about the Jags. I guess I am surprised they are still dropping in value so quickly.

I might go even older to get the cost down further.

I am not sure how practical I really want. I've even thought about an old TR3.

You can pick up a 4-year old convertible Jag with a cute back seat for less than a new Boxster. The hardtop back seat is actually usable. The top does not take away any trunk space when down, either. I took mine on our honeymoon for a week, and all of her luggage fit! [I had one carry-on-size duffel.]

How old are you willing to look?

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ND[]][]]&minPrice=1&listingId=359267671&Log=0

This is basically what I have. I've owned it for about 14 years. My kids love riding in the back, but now that they are graduating college, they ask to borrow it. The Mondial cabrio in various trims was built from 83-95. Later years have better engines, and more refined body work.

Very nice. I'm not sure I could handle guilt of my dogs scratching up the back seat leather in a Ferrari.

Funny part about that option...I am in sales and live WI. Even if those sold in the $20's, no customer would ever let me live down being seen in a Ferrari :) Old British or American iron, no problem. Old German, maybe. Old Italian, "we pay too much for the stuff you sell us"....

I leased a 2010 with a manual transmission for a few years. Very fun car to drive. I had a C6 corvette prior to the cayman. Althought the vette would blister it in a straight line, I have to say the cayman was more fun to drive. I'd love to own another one, but my mooney hobby has been taking a lot of my extra funds. :lol:

I leased a 2010 with a manual transmission for a few years. Very fun car to drive. I had a C6 corvette prior to the cayman. Althought the vette would blister it in a straight line, I have to say the cayman was more fun to drive. I'd love to own another one, but my mooney hobby has been taking a lot of my extra funds. :lol:

I drive a 17 year old Porsche so I can fly. It's the best of both worlds. I bought it 8 years ago for 20,500 which is pretty much what I would have paid for a more boring new car. The costs of parts is way more then a Ford but my maintenance costs have been quite reasonable in the long run. I had the clutch , rear brakes/rotors and some smaller stuff done last year and it ran almost 5K but it was also the first time either thing had been done and I had 135K miles on it then. At this point the only reason I would get rid of the car is to get a 2003-2005 Boxster S model.

Very nice. I'm not sure I could handle guilt of my dogs scratching up the back seat leather in a Ferrari.

Funny part about that option...I am in sales and live WI. Even if those sold in the $20's, no customer would ever let me live down being seen in a Ferrari :) Old British or American iron, no problem. Old German, maybe. Old Italian, "we pay too much for the stuff you sell us"....

Well, Ferrari knows how you feel, so they designed it so that the rear seat backs fold down flat, and you get a carpet backing. Viola! Dog paradise.

The Mondial is the unloved red-headed step child of the Ferrari family. If you go to a Ferrari rally in a Mondial, it's likely you'd be asked to leave - quickly. They sell for mid-20k often less. Only people who don't know the Ferrari family of cars think it's anything special. I spent more buying my kid a new Prius than I spent on my Ferrari.

I had the chance to drive a Cayman S before they came out. Wanted one ever since. Kind of tight for my frame but drove like a go-kart. When time came go buy a Porsche, my wife insisted on a 911. I fought for like 1/2 of a second and obliged ;)

I drive a 17 year old Porsche so I can fly. It's the best of both worlds. I bought it 8 years ago for 20,500 which is pretty much what I would have paid for a more boring new car. The costs of parts is way more then a Ford but my maintenance costs have been quite reasonable in the long run. I had the clutch , rear brakes/rotors and some smaller stuff done last year and it ran almost 5K but it was also the first time either thing had been done and I had 135K miles on it then. At this point the only reason I would get rid of the car is to get a 2003-2005 Boxster S model.

I thought about something like that, too, but I honestly don't get a lot of enjoyment out of driving anymore. I might do it again if I move to a more rural area where I could do some spirited driving, but I realized that you can only drive a sports car as fast as the old guy driving the prius in front of you. Traffic is 99% of the reason I enjoy flying as much as I do.

I thought about something like that, too, but I honestly don't get a lot of enjoyment out of driving anymore. I might do it again if I move to a more rural area where I could do some spirited driving, but I realized that you can only drive a sports car as fast as the old guy driving the prius in front of you. Traffic is 99% of the reason I enjoy flying as much as I do.

The one thing I enjoy about the sports-car is that I don't have to drive as fast as the the guy in the Prius because I can pass him on the short straightaways that our back-roads offer. I have both the acceleration to pass and the brakes to get back behind him if I have oncoming traffic. Now in real terms, I gain of course nothing, we'll both be at the traffic light in the next town, but it is sure fun :D .

Well, Ferrari knows how you feel, so they designed it so that the rear seat backs fold down flat, and you get a carpet backing. Viola! Dog paradise.

The Mondial is the unloved red-headed step child of the Ferrari family. If you go to a Ferrari rally in a Mondial, it's likely you'd be asked to leave - quickly. They sell for mid-20k often less. Only people who don't know the Ferrari family of cars think it's anything special. I spent more buying my kid a new Prius than I spent on my Ferrari.

Interesting info on the back seats....

Regarding the part in bold - is this with or without the theme from Magnum P.I. blaring from the radio? (I suppose that was the 308GTS, but they do bear a resemblance to each other)

I telecomute full time so the driving I do is mostly non-rush hour and not the same drive everyday. I do wish there were more roads around here that I could play with but I have found a few out of the way places where I can exercise the cornering ability of the Boxster.

Interesting info on the back seats....

Regarding the part in bold - is this with or without the theme from Magnum P.I. blaring from the radio? (I suppose that was the 308GTS, but they do bear a resemblance to each other)

That's us all right! Wrinkly, fat, balding guys with big mustaches driving down the boulevard. :D:D

The Mondial suffers indignity that the 308 will never suffer. The 308 started with carbs and made a great sound, they had a fiberglass model that was lighter and better in corners, of course the 308 had Magnum(~6 different cars).

The Mondial carries the 328 brakes, final drive ratio, and all have LSD gears, so they tend to stop and corner a bit flatter. But, since they are heavier, they are not as quick off the line, or top speed compared to the 308. Driving is very go-cart like with the cab forward design. It is very forgiving, but once it breaks loose, you are just a bystander, watching the scenery rotate.

How often do you change the oil? Porsche rec. every 10,000 but that seems waaaaay too long. 5 ok? The car is really a hoot to drive. My other favorite is a 1966 corvette conv. There's one nearby in perfect cond. silver, red interior, white rag top. Just great but big dough! 85 grand is what he paid, ground up restoration, matching nos.

How often do you change the oil? Porsche rec. every 10,000 but that seems waaaaay too long. 5 ok? The car is really a hoot to drive. My other favorite is a 1966 corvette conv. There's one nearby in perfect cond. silver, red interior, white rag top. Just great but big dough! 85 grand is what he paid, ground up restoration, matching nos.

The 97 Boxster recommend interval is 15K I generally change it between 10-12k depending on when it goes into the shop for something else. That's every year to 1.5 years. Seems to be working so far.

Porschah.

I used to own a 2009 Cayman S and loved it. I hadn't planned to buy a new one but in the 2013 model the new Boxster S is just awesome and I got one. The 2014 year they released the new model Cayman S. As stated earlier, they are basically identical except the drop top. My Boxster S is a 7 speed PDK and I test drove the new Cayman S with the PDK. I really love the 7 speed and paddle shifters.

The big advantage of the Boxster/Cayman over the 911 in my opinion and in the opinion of race instructors I have driven with is the mid engine vice the rear egine in the 911. I have driven the 911 on the track and it is a really nice car. The issue I had with it was the back end sliding out in the corners. I know plenty of people drive them on the track so I am sure it can be learned but mine doesn't slip that much in corners.

Just one persons opinion of course.

Carl

Back