Pork brains in milk gravy, anyone?

I grew up seeing it - never had it, though, but members of my family certainly did. Ate it with eggs, actually. :eek:

img_0140.JPG

Fried Brain Sandwich

http://facedown.wordpress.com/2007/01/02/all-we-wanna-do-is-eat-your-brains/

Growing up in the South, my Mom used to serve this :eek: :

SOUSE- also known as pickled pork.

INGREDIENTS

1 pigs head and trotters or 3 lbs. meaty pork
Juice of 4 large limes
Salt to taste
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 large cucumber, peeled and chopped fine
2 Scotch bonnet peppers, deseeded and chopped
Parsley to garnish

METHOD
Wash and clean pork very well. Place in a large saucepan of boiling water and simmer until tender.
Remove the meat from the saucepan and plunge into cold water. When cool, remove and cut into bit sized pieces.
Skin and cut the pig tongue into lengthway slices and cut trotters in half.
Put the pork into a bowl and make a brine with the lime juice, water and salt to taste. (About 2 cups of brine)
Mix this with the onion, cucumber and pepper, then pour over the meat.
Cover and chill in the refrigerator for several hours before serving.
Garnish with parsley.

I had duck tongue a few weeks back. Surprisingly sweet. Tiny portion, as one might imagine.

Growing up in the South, my Mom used to serve this :eek: :

SOUSE- also known as pickled pork.

Bill, I've made Souse meat before. it was from my Grandad's recipe. It's a pain to make, but better than most would think. I'm only 38, but I was raised up on a Georgia farm and yes I know all about hog killins' and such. No, I draw the line at chittlin's and hog brains:p, although my Dad and Granddad ate their share.

Stan H.

Bill & Stan-

I think Patrick O'Brian described Soused Hog's Face in one of his Cantain Aubrey books, but without the scotch bonnets. I'd be tempted to leave the seeds from the peppers in the recipe.

Back