Pork BBQ in danger!

I cannot confirm that I've checked deer on the side of the road for freshness....... It might have happened.... Or not. But only in winter, never in warm months.

In Texas I was friends with the local game warden. If I needed meat I would tell him, and usually within 24 hours I would have a deer in my freezer.

Check for heat. A rectal thermometer wells well. If its still got some heat in it, its fresh. Much below 60 degrees I pass. We are talking about it being 40 deg and below outside. Gotta be fresh, or so I have heard.

I can now saw I know a guy who carries a rectal thermometer around for road kill.

If it's chicken, cow, or pig...
In Texas I was friends with the local game warden. If I needed meat I would tell him, and usually within 24 hours I would have a deer in my freezer.

In AR, you are supposed to call it in..... they ask if it’s a buck or not. Say yes and they want to know the points. If it sounds like a good one, they will come and get it usually. Pretty sure it ends up in THEIR freezer as well as they also want the rack.

In AR, you are supposed to call it in..... they ask if it’s a buck or not. Say yes and they want to know the points. If it sounds like a good one, they will come and get it usually. Pretty sure it ends up in THEIR freezer as well as they also want the rack.

My game warden friend told me that they usually donated the meat to MHMR.

(My Home My Refrigerator)

He had no problem with people taking in road kill venison as long as it was called in first. But that was several years ago, I am not sure if that still applies in Texas.

I lived in Tennessee when the roadkill law was enacted. If you hit it, or find it, you can eat it. No questions asked...

I lived in Tennessee when the roadkill law was enacted. If you hit it, or find it, you can eat it. No questions asked...
I would be asking "Are you really sure that is a good idea?" LOL

I would be asking "Are you really sure that is a good idea?" LOL

There would be no question if you have eaten my wife's "Sasum Bulgogi". Korean spicy Deer bulgogi. It is crazy good!

Last edited:
I knew some people that survived the 30s that would get excited when they found fresh road kill.

And this was in the 1970s...

Back