Popping sound in flight

cowman

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cowman
This is in a Piper Archer... second flight I've had this happen on. Both times doing maneuvers. First time was with CFI, I thought it was just something shifting in the cargo area, he thought it was in the tail but didn't seem concerned and we continued the lesson.

It's a single crisp.. thunky/poppy kind of noise. Could maybe be some interior plastic or maybe some sheet metal oil-canning.... I can't really tell which is what worries me. It didn't effect the flight any as far as I was able to tell.. no bumps, pitching/rolling/yawing.

Today I heard it again while practicing stalls... I was in slow flight 1500RPM, full flaps, probably about 60kts airspeed and at 3800'. Again, not knowing what that was I punched the throttle forward and aborted the stall. One thing I noticed... and maybe this is exactly what it was... when I backed my flaps out I only noticed 2 notches coming out where I'd have expected 3. Maybe I didn't have all 3 in.. maybe I backed out 2 when I should have done 1... but I'm wondering if maybe they weren't locked in all the way in the third position and the noise was the flaps "popping" out of that position and down to the next? I didn't notice any change in flight characteristics though and normally I feel a little sink when I let the flaps out.

Later on the ground I tried to re-produce this.. just barely having the flap handle in the 3rd position and letting go. Didn't sound at all alike but there wasn't any wind pushing on the flaps either so who knows.

Can't find a thing wrong with the airplane though. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Seat belt outside the door? Make sure belt is inside

Getting shot at? Check Six.

Loose Inspection plate? Tighten it down.

This is in a Piper Archer... second flight I've had this happen on. Both times doing maneuvers. First time was with CFI, I thought it was just something shifting in the cargo area, he thought it was in the tail but didn't seem concerned and we continued the lesson.

It's a single crisp.. thunky/poppy kind of noise. Could maybe be some interior plastic or maybe some sheet metal oil-canning.... I can't really tell which is what worries me. It didn't effect the flight any as far as I was able to tell.. no bumps, pitching/rolling/yawing.

Today I heard it again while practicing stalls... I was in slow flight 1500RPM, full flaps, probably about 60kts airspeed and at 3800'. Again, not knowing what that was I punched the throttle forward and aborted the stall. One thing I noticed... and maybe this is exactly what it was... when I backed my flaps out I only noticed 2 notches coming out where I'd have expected 3. Maybe I didn't have all 3 in.. maybe I backed out 2 when I should have done 1... but I'm wondering if maybe they weren't locked in all the way in the third position and the noise was the flaps "popping" out of that position and down to the next? I didn't notice any change in flight characteristics though and normally I feel a little sink when I let the flaps out.

Later on the ground I tried to re-produce this.. just barely having the flap handle in the 3rd position and letting go. Didn't sound at all alike but there wasn't any wind pushing on the flaps either so who knows.

Can't find a thing wrong with the airplane though. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Probably oil canning.

Good to find out what it is- I have seen the flap lever popping out of its detent before, when the "notches" are worn, worth looking at.

Or, did you have a bag of chips on board?

Hope you figure it out. Strange noises can be scary for sure.

Just flying earlier today with my step-brother (also a pilot) and at one point he says "Whoah, what's with all this sudden vibration on the floor!?" After a few seconds of investigation he says "Oh wait, I just shifted my leg/foot position and now all the blood is coming back." Leg went dead! :rofl::rofl::rofl::D

I heard a grinding noise coming from the engine compartment on a return trip from Little River in my Turbo Arrow (no bueno). It was the turbocharger going out. A&P said it was within a few minutes of self destruction.

I had this happen once. It was the starboard cowl door popping open. It popped very loudly as I leveled out at cruise altitude, scared the sh*t out of me. I landed at the closest airfield, straightened door, re-closed it (it had been properly latched). When I got to Ohio, we installed a small bolt immediately below the latches (on both sides of both doors) so the latches could no longer slide down and allow the top lip to disengage.

I know this doesn't help you...but it might help other Cessna drivers with the big "barn door" cowl access doors. They can and will pop open even when properly latched if everything isn't aligned perfectly.

A sticky intake valve not closing properly can make a muffled popping noise. Nothing a dose of MMO will not correct.

Back