Poor man’s adsb-in

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Yesterday we were repositioning two airplanes of similar cruise performance and flying low level (no flight following) to stay out of headwinds.
The trailing airplane was gaining on me slightly and we were at similar altitudes b/c a 500’ altitude change meant a 10kt penalty.
We were on the radio “131 mi to go” vs “143 mi to go” “I’m over the interstate” sort of thing, to keep track of each other.
I had cell service so I could see him on flightaware and I could swap inputs on the site to see myself on the map….
Then I poked around and found a layer called “show nearby aircraft“.
Voila, I could now track both of us on the same map, with 5? second updating and see if we were closing or not.

Ok if you are down low and have cell service.

Just a cool observation; another tool to enhance positional awareness not to supersede the other options.

...another tool to enhance positional awareness not to supersede the other options.
If you really need a deconfliction tool or strategy I'd use time to provide separation (e.g. launch the faster airplane xx minutes earlier) or maintain visual before I'd put *any* faith in a 3rd-party cellular-service "tool."

Nauga,
who thinks rubbin' ain't relocatin'

If you really need a deconfliction tool or strategy I'd use time to provide separation (e.g. launch the faster airplane xx minutes earlier) or maintain visual before I'd put *any* faith in a 3rd-party cellular-service "tool."

Nauga,
who thinks rubbin' ain't relocatin'
Well, of course.
And I did not edit my original post, which includes the last paragraph… perhaps overlooked?

Back