POOKIES has had some trouble...

We are looking to get a new apartment. Would a securty freeze prevent the manager from pulling up our credit? I read about it, but I wasn't clear on this.

As I understand it, you can OK an inquiry or do a temporary unfreeze if there issues with a creditor not being able to get your info.

We are looking to get a new apartment. Would a securty freeze prevent the manager from pulling up our credit? I read about it, but I wasn't clear on this.

??? You're in New Orleans, nobody there has any credit anyway....:p

According to what I read, you might think of a security freeze as a lock on the credit report. And there's the rub. You won't find out about any new credit card offers (a good thing!), companies can't go trolling for new customers, nor would anyone be able to get a copy including those you really want to. The only way would be for you to unlock it which, of course, will cost you a transaction fee. Oh, and guess what, probably one to lock it again.
But then, your good name is probably worth a few bucks.

According to what I read, you might think of a security freeze as a lock on the credit report. And there's the rub. You won't find out about any new credit card offers (a good thing!), companies can't go trolling for new customers, nor would anyone be able to get a copy including those you really want to. The only way would be for you to unlock it which, of course, will cost you a transaction fee. Oh, and guess what, probably one to lock it again.
But then, your good name is probably worth a few bucks.

It's $20 to freeze it and $8 to temporarly unfreeze it. Not a big deal!

I don't know if this has been posted or not but I just saw a commercial for Lifelock.com 800-770-6304 they clam to protect your identity. this will also give you a free 30 trial.

Bob

Back