Pondering...

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
How many people would we have saved this year alone if every pilot did a proper fuel burn calculation before flight?

Over the past 5 years? 10?

Just something that always amazes me is the number of NTSB reports that include the phrase "Fuel exhaustion".

Add in w/b calculation to my request too.

Good question. Excluding fuel leaks, mechanical and rock/hard place situations, probably a lot of them. Ever notice how many of those are 'crashed within 3-20 miles of the destination'?

I often wonder if the fuel exhaustion issues are a direct result of ingrained automotive driving habits. Driving range is fairly reliable for x miles to a tank so reset the trip meter and you're good to go. That works fairly well for aviation too...Same number of airmass miles per tank HOWEVER all else being equal, with a headwind the airmass is moving backwards away from the destination thus requiring more airmass miles for the same ground distance.

Then there's the fun game of jumping from one rental to another and sorting out their actual fuel load and actual fuel consumption. It's near impossible to find a rental with a reliably calibrated tube to stick the tank with that you feel comfortable using.

Where I come from:
XC lesson #1: Measure fuel as units of time. Distance is totally irrelevant. When the timer goes ding, land and refuel now, not another 30 miles along...
XC lesson #2: Impatience/inconvinence range: Plan your last fuel stop >= 45-60 minutes from the destination, anything closer is asking for gethomeitus since you're already almost there.

It's Darwinism for pilots. Even we are not exempt from stupidity.

N2212R said:
It's Darwinism for pilots. Even we are not exempt from stupidity.
Proof that not all pilots become gods once they win their wings.

While thumbing through my collection of ACs the other day I came across a gem that addressed the very same issues Barnhill mentioned. The answer contained therein was, "...a hell of a lot."

Last edited:
wbarnhill said:
How many people would we have saved this year alone if every pilot did a proper fuel burn calculation before flight?

Over the past 5 years? 10?

Just something that always amazes me is the number of NTSB reports that include the phrase "Fuel exhaustion".

Add in w/b calculation to my request too.

It doesn't vary much, it's like a certain type of force of nature or something and averages about 30% of the total accidents in any given year for fuel screw-ups, not counting W&B.

Last edited:
Back