pondering first plane

Hard to go wrong at that price if it doesn't have corrosion issues. I'd like toe brakes, but I can live without. I think it would serve you well, and they are well supported.

Seems to be priced about right.cant go wrong with a Cherokee,you can alway upgrade to the 180 hp during overhaul.

Buy it and fly it till the wheels fall off!

Buy it and fly it till the wheels fall off!

looking like a strong possibility. Have came to the reality that 200/hr for renting the cirrus will kill me as I wont be able to stay current enough.

You could fly that plane for hundreds of hours for the price of a few hours in a Cirrus.

You may get what you pay for, then again, maybe not. It's run out and old. If that amount of money is not a big concern for you then......by all means, buy it.

Well logs look interesting, plane sat from 2011-2013 when was ferried to Fargo, ND. Then 2014 annual shows surface corrosion on engine case halves. Perhaps the reason for low price is showing slowly.

Well look at that. I never knew it was for sale. It's currently sitting at the tie-down at BIS. So if you have specific questions or want more photos, let me know and I can walk over and help you out.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I can probably ask Duane specific questions rather than going through the broker

Last edited:
Pull the tanks and check for spar corrosion (piper SB ). Check for other major damage. If that's ok it's hard to go wrong at that price. If my kids were a few years older I'd be buying at that price to teach them to fly in it.

If you are flying 2 people as a trainer, it's had to beat. It's the short cabin one though so the backseat and luggage is more limited in space than in later models.

Well look at that. I never knew it was for sale. It's currently sitting at the tie-down at BIS. So if you have specific questions or want more photos, let me know and I can walk over and help you out.

Edit: Forgot to mention, I can probably ask Duane specific questions rather than going through the broker

Kai,

Thanks! I sent you a message back....I may take you up on that, as I would rather avoid the broker if able.

Depends on the listing type. If it's a closed listing, the broker gets his chunk no matter where the sale comes from. If it's an open listing, the broker only gets his cut if he brings in the sale, and the owner can sell it to anyone he(owner) wants if he develops the sale and handles the inquires.

Brokers hate open listings with good reason, they may put in the effort and get nothing out of it. I would guess that many will not sign an open listing and want the exclusive contract that they lock up any transaction of the car/boat/plane/land/etc.

There's a for sale sign in the window in one of the photos, I've never noticed it in person, but the presence of a for sale sign to me would indicate the broker is not the only option.

how is that so? I wasn't aware that buyers were obligated to the broker for simple questions. :dunno:

Well, think about it, first off most people employ brokers to deal with all that. Secondly it's not about talking to the owner, it's about by passing the broker.

I'm an aircraft dealer/broker, all of my Sellers expect all communication to be initially thru me, most Sellers and Brokers would not appreciate "going around" the Broker.
Let the Broker earn his fee, send him all the questions you want answered and I'm sure he will go to work on them for you.
By the way, unless there are some hidden issues, the plane is certainly priced right. Just make sure to have a pre buy done before handing over a check..

Engine is about run out and the one low compression jug is worrisome. I'd suspect exhaust valve leakage on that one. A Cherokee is a fine 1st plane, I owned and flew one for nearly a decade before getting bitten by the RV go faster bug. Nothing wrong with a handbrake only Cherokee either, toe brakes are a waste of unnecessary extra weight and complexity on these planes since they have hard-linkage nosewheel steering and differential brake steering is basically nonexistent on them.
I'd try to find one with an engine that's not that close to TBO, personally, and also a 180hp if you have any desire to fly to high altitude airports carrying more load than just solo.

Thanks everyone for your honest feedback. As far as bypassing brokers: I agree that the broker should be the first point of contact, which even in this situation I did go back and forth with the broker, which is how I received the log scans. In this situation the seller actually is marketing the plane himself as well as having it listed with the broker, so I saw no issue with Kai's offer...but nonetheless I have decided to pass as info in the logs shows issues I am not willing to deal with. It appears for around 30k there are plenty of options out there...so not worth taking something I don't feel confident with.

$30k is ~$15k away from what this plane will sell for, and yes there are a lot of options out there at that price.

Easy to shop when you double your price point. You should be looking at planes priced up to $36k if you have 30 to spend.

$30k is ~$15k away from what this plane will sell for, and yes there are a lot of options out there at that price.

Easy to shop when you double your price point. You should be looking at planes priced up to $36k if you have 30 to spend.

yea I added to what I am willing to spend after seeing the issues you get for sub 30 :)

Someone recently posted a Comanche 250 on here for $35k. You should check that out.

Back