Poll: Most Don't Care If Barry Bonds Breaks Baseball's Home Run Record

babe ruth will always be the champ in my book. he did it on a steady diet of cigars, liquor, and women. lets see bonds do that

I only hope that when he does it everyone in the stands sits on their hands and he "runs" the bases in complete silence. I can't stand the idea of him owning this record. Baseball gets another black eye when they put his name in the record books.

I haven't read all of the evidence against Barry, and I'm definately not a fan of his... but, keep in mind, he has never tested positive for any banned substance.

What's the saying about where there is smoke, there is fire.... and there is a lot of smoke when it comes to what Barry has done or hasn't done.

But it's really hard to say since they only recently started testing the MLB players.

I just hope he doesn't set or break the record against my Cubs next Monday - Thursday when SF is in Chicago.

Last edited:
I keep hoping the team bus will run over his foot outside the hotel.

Even if he weren't a cheater (which I believe he is), his attitude illustrates pretty much all that is wrong with professional sports.

I've always like Barry Bonds. Mostly because he tells the media to shove it.

There's at least one redeeming quality about him. I won't hold my breath while counting more.

But, bet on this... if the media does not cover him well enough or brings out much at all on any kind of possible substance use, someone is going to cry the race card.

I believe when Mark McGuire broke the season record hits, he had previously used some kind of non-medical item but it wasn't steroids. When it was called into question, he quit. But, he cited his son as the reason to quit.

I don't give a rat's a** about that aspect. But the entourage access to the clubhouse, the preferential locker arrangement, the rules about being able to skip team functions and even road trips, etc. show him to be such a prima donna.

I try to make it clear to my baseball teams that the team is only as good as the worst player on the field, that one guy cannot carry a team, and that players have to play for the good of the team, not for the good of themselves. And Bonds is the antithesis of that.

I haven't read all of the evidence against Barry, and I'm definitely not a fan of his... but, keep in mind, he has never tested positive for any banned substance.
You mean... since they were banned from baseball? And, they weren't testing for them prior to the ban.

Even so, he knew he was getting an advantage from a substance that had already been banned in football and certainly from college and Olympic competition. I doubt he would be this far forward in the count had he done it the natural way.

I don't give a rat's a** about that aspect. But the entourage access to the clubhouse, the preferential locker arrangement, the rules about being able to skip team functions and even road trips, etc. show him to be such a prima donna.

I try to make it clear to my baseball teams that the team is only as good as the worst player on the field, that one guy cannot carry a team, and that players have to play for the good of the team, not for the good of themselves. And Bonds is the antithesis of that.

Some of that (all of that ?) falls on the management. They could say no, and if all 29 other teams said no, then Bonds would be treated just like everyone else.

Pete Rose for the Hall of Fame. :yes: :rolleyes: :eek:

You know, as long as he never bet AGAINST his team, I have no problem with what he did, and as far as I know, when he did make bets involving his team, it was always to win.

You mean... since they were banned from baseball? And, they weren't testing for them prior to the ban.

Even so, he knew he was getting an advantage from a substance that had already been banned in football and certainly from college and Olympic competition. I doubt he would be this far forward in the count had he done it the natural way.

yes exactly. When looking at the pictures of him when he was with the Pirates as compared to now... only somebody with their head buried in the sand wouldn't put 2 and 2 together that there was something else going on, other than just weight training, etc...

But anybody else in the MLB could have been using the same substances to get an advantage as well.

As they were talking about on the game last night, if they later find out that many of the players in this era were taking the same things that Barry supposedly took, then you can't single him out. But if it later comes out that there is definitive proof that he (Barry) did take something, then the record should be removed from the books, even if it happened before they starting testing for it.

I just have a hard time with people saying the record shouldn't be in the books or an asterisk should be there, since there is no definitive proof that he did anything wrong. We can all make our assumptions, and most likely he did take something he shouldn't have.... but...

he's still an a-hole, no matter what... no disputing that.

You know, as long as he never bet AGAINST his team, I have no problem with what he did, and as far as I know, when he did make bets involving his team, it was always to win.
And in fact, isn't that what a professional player/manager does every game ... bet for his team to win?

Rose got shafted. But he hasn't really helped his cause any.

OK let me share my solution with you all. I live an work within about an hours drive of 5 Minor league ball parks and about 1.5 from two others. Talk about fun and value.

OK let me share my solution with you all. I live an work within about an hours drive of 5 Minor league ball parks and about 1.5 from two others. Talk about fun and value.
Agreed. I have been to many, many Jacksonville Suns games since moving here two years ago. We have a great ballpark, decent team, fabulous manager. Prices are right.

yep i enjoy Cedar Rapids Kernels baseball. single A, everyone is about 19 or 20, and they play hard. best seat in the house is 9 bucks.

Agree completely. I have the friday night season package for the SA Missions, and if I'm not going to be around on a particular Friday game, I can trade it for seats on another night. Thursdays are best: Dollar beer, Dollar Dogs, Dollar Soda, Dollar Pizza....

When I get to DC, there will be three teams in a reasonable drive: Frederick Keys, Bowie Baysox, and the Potomac Nationals. Beats paying the prices at RFK (which will be even worse after the new stadium is built). http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/was/ticketing/seating_pricing.jsp

Last edited:
I wish I had added a poll in my original post. If management is so inclined, please add this. My poll would have been:

Do you believe Barry Bonds should get the home run record?
  1. Bonds has done the job and earned his place in the record book.
  2. Bonds cheated with substance abuse and does not deserve the record.
  3. Let Bonds have the record but notate the record with an asterisk.
  4. In honor of Phil Collins, "I don't care any more."
From the pilots on this board, I'm predicting an outcome of not deserving or at least an asterisk. The very nature of becoming a pilot makes one an achiever. You can't earn nor retain a pilot certificate without putting forth raw performance and skill. Added ratings and other certificates only present further proof of skill. You cannot cheat or buy your way into a pilot certificate. And, if by some chance you have then you won't likely keep it or you'll lose your ability to exercise the privilege through lack of skill. Granted, baseball players don't carry the risk-reward of a pilot but I don't think pilots in general accept any form of cheating regardless of the means or their ideologies.

Whether Bonds took any supplements or not, you still need hand eye coordination to hit the **** out of the ball. I vote for #1.

Whether Bonds took any supplements or not, you still need hand eye coordination to hit the **** out of the ball. I vote for #1.
That's very true, and Bonds was a decent hitter from the get-go. But the performance enhancers build strength, which allows a bigger bat and more bat speed, which together put Newton more on the side of the hitter. Look at his season-by-season stats and you'll see a jump that implies exactly when he started.

the thing i love about the modern day power hitters is that their teams suuuuck. Mcgwire, Sosa, Bonds. all of them watch(ed) the playoffs from their living rooms. hard to imagine how bad the giants would be without another 70+ runs a year.

the thing i love about the modern day power hitters is that their teams suuuuck. Mcgwire, Sosa, Bonds. all of them watch(ed) the playoffs from their living rooms. hard to imagine how bad the giants would be without another 70+ runs a year.

Detroit leads the league in slugging percentage and swept the Dead Sox to be 1/2 game from having the best record in the majors. It also helps they have 4 or 5 guys in the lineup batting .300 or better.

exactly ed. one man does not a team make. home runs are way overrated, IMO. i like small ball

exactly ed. one man does not a team make. home runs are way overrated, IMO. i like small ball

kinda like 1987 when Dawson hit 49, got the MVP and where did my Cubs finish?... wait for it... you guessed it... last place.

agreed to small ball, but I think it's gone for good... it's not cool to learn how to bunt or advance the runner over by hitting to the right side of the field...

as they say, "Chicks dig the Long Ball"...

McGwire was taking CREATINE, the same thing found in red meat which helps build muscle tissue. Weight lifters and body builders use it, as do many other athletes and soldiers. It is NOT a steroid.

He was taking it in such quantities that the results made it appear that he was possibly taking something else which was deemed illegal. But who knows for sure?

Should all vitamins and supplements be banned as well? Or anything goes, as long as it's natural? After all, steroids are naturally occuring in our bodies to- just not in the quantities being taken by various athletes.

Does/did Bonds take something illegal or not? Will the truth ever be known? Not likely, unless he dies from some form of cancer (ala Lyle Alzado/ Oakland Raiders).

As far as the record goes- first, I'm not a huge baseball fan, so I really don't care. But I have been a professional athlete and coached world class athletes most of my life. In that regard, I feel no recognition should be given to his "record". Just as any Olympian or bicyclist is stripped of any titles won during the period in which it is proven that illegal/ banned substances were involved.

If Bonds took them at ANY time during his career, then the record should be considered forfeit as a consequence. This should go for any other player as well.

Just my $0.02 worth...

McGwire was also taking Andro, and I don't believe Bonds was taking anything WHILE it was banned.

How do you punish someone for doing something that is not illegal. I don't ex post facto should ever be invoked.

Last edited:
...snip...

If Bonds took them at ANY time during his career, then the record should be considered forfeit as a consequence. This should go for any other player as well.

Just my $0.02 worth...

I would agree, but as you also stated, we will probably never know if he took anything illegal. Should he really be penalized and not have the record recognized or have an asterisk on the "assumption" that he did do something illegal?

Well my baseball vote is still and always will be for the king of swat Babe Ruth.......stats don't lie

Games Played - At Bats
Ruth 2503 - 8398 (22 seasons)

Bonds 2941 - 9726 (22 seasons)

Aaron 3298 - 12364 (23 seasons)

make that the Great Bambino!

141410__sandlot_l.jpg

Who's Barry Bonds:dunno: Really, I haven't watched a "pro" ball game since....well, it's been awhile.

Give me a AAA game any day.

Back