Poll: How will avgas prices affect your flying?

How will rising avgas prices affect your flying?

• Not at all. I pay what I have to pay.

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • A little. I shop around for cheap fuel more often.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Average. I think more closely about transportation options.

Votes: 6 12.8%
  • Quite a bit. I need a really good reason to leave the ground.

Votes: 10 21.3%
  • Oof. I'm grounded

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters
Well, Ken. I just don't know yet. i suspect that when my Taylorcraft shows up, it will see more use than the 195. I do know that I will have to have a good reason to fly for a while until I figure out how things are going to shake out.
:mad: :mad: :mad:

Ken,

I didn't vote. My situation may not be representative. I'm retired. I saved some money from my last "fill-in" job to pay for my flying on a limited basis for a couple of years. I have expectations of 20-25 hours per year. My response would be that I'll fly (rent) as I have over the past couple of years - until my stash runs out The stash also covers my charts, medicals, checkrides, insurance, etc. So, I think I'm good for maybe up to between one and two more years at my current rate.

Jim

Last edited:
Personal flying = yes it might slow me down a bit.

Perfessional flying = Probably not, the rich will always want to fly somewhere. We have already been contacted that our air ambulance ops is going to greatly increase.

Brent Bradford
Learjet Charter

Not voting either. I'm already grounded because the funds aren't there right now due to other household projects.

So far flying for a destination has not changed but I don't bore as many holes locally as I used to. Saturday morning coffee runs are out.

Local joy flights will come to a halt, XC to see family will keep going. Its cheaper to fly to OK than drive.

How much of an increase are we talking about? $6, $9, higher? Gas is a small portion of the cost of flying for us but we burn between 8 and 13 gph depending on power setting. However, I do feel if gas prices more than double many pilots that own older twins might rethink flying at high power settings.

I can relate to those of you who will cut out the saturday $100.00 hamburger and save flying for those "meaningful" X/C trips. But then how will you deal with the currency and more importantly the proficency issues?

I've cut out the aerobatic flying almost entirely. The Bonanza flying will probably not be cut much since most of that is business. My airport will offer pre-paid fuel next week. I'm trying to figure out how much to buy, but it's the only way I can ensure availability. Shell told the FBO they'll get their next shipment but not to expect any more after that for months. Months.

Fuel prices are disgusting. I believe the whole thing is a fabrication. Fortunately, what goes around usually comes around and I can only hope the oil companies get what's coming to them someday.

Ken Ibold said:
Just curious if avgas prices have hit the point where people will curtail flying.

If not now ,,,,,, soon!

As long as fuel is available, I'll keep on chugging. Once I get the IR ticket, I'll re-evaluate then, but I think it is important to finish the IR now that I'm half way there.

We still have 300 gallons in our fuel tank at the farm for the tractors and the Citabria. I plan to keep flying my heart out till we can't get mogas any more.

I know a lot of people don't like to fly with mogas, but we have never, ever had problems after using it for years.

Diana said:
We still have 300 gallons in our fuel tank .

How big is your tank? Do you get any kind of deal over pump price when you order refills?

Bill Jennings said:
How big is your tank? Do you get any kind of deal over pump price when you order refills?
Bill, it's 500 gallons. The price is about the same as at the pumps in town, but then they don't charge extra to deliver it.

Ken:
It's affected several folks already. A friend was planning on flyin his Beech 18 here to Addison next weekend to the ABS convention. He chose to go commercial after seeing not only fuel prices go up, but some shortages in areas. Where he planned to stop enroute, one airport reported some shortages of 100LL.

When I travel now, I call ahead and check fuel prices. Ask if I can get a discount if I purchase over a certain amount.

Dave

My club has raised prices 4-5 times in the 3-4 years claiming fuel increases.
Fuel has not gone up nearly the percentage that my rates did.

I am considering bailing from my club.....not just because of the costs (mostly) but because I have gotten kinda bored doing the type of flying I am doing (100-200 mile hamburgers and visits, 2-3 times a month in $100+ planes). I have hit every airport within about 150NM of STP. I can't afford to take many long trips (kids, college, etc) so I was thinking about looking for a partnership in a LS (low and slow) plane somewhere. Then maybe I can still make some hamburger runs and go rent HP if I need to.

Thinking maybe I want to golf and buy a motorcycle instead of flying for awhile.
Eric
________
Kid prilosec

Last edited:
With prices changing so rapidly, I'd like to make a plea for everyone to head over to Airnav.com and update the fuel price at your home field and anyplace you've been lately. Any price more than a couple weeks old is useless, and the more recent the update, the better.

Note that even if the price hasn't changed, you can still update it with a more current date.

Thanks,
Jon

4CornerFlyer said:
With prices changing so rapidly, I'd like to make a plea for everyone to head over to Airnav.com and update the fuel price at your home field and anyplace you've been lately. Any price more than a couple weeks old is useless, and the more recent the update, the better.

Note that even if the price hasn't changed, you can still update it with a more current date.

Thanks,
Jon

Price doesn't matter too awful much now if I can just have fuel available on the street to drive to the airport...

It's not the price of avgas that's slowed me down. There are other things going on in my life that have caused a cutback. But things are looking better.

I use 91 + octane in the Kitfox and have been buying it on Tuesday from a local Shell station for the same price as regular unleaded. That price has gone higher than the Kitfox can go now so it will slow my flying activity some. I have cut back on my trips to the airport too and all other driving. We'll see how "temporary" this situation is.

Back