[POLL] Handheld Radio in your plane

Describe the handheld radio in your plane:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I just remembered, I actually do own one :oops:

I have a small water proof handheld clipped to my life jacket, to help with communication in event of needing to be rescued. I also have a marine band handheld.

My handheld has com and nav, and if my life depended on it, I might be able to figure out the nav function, but that would be a very bad day.

My handheld has com and nav, and if my life depended on it, I might be able to figure out the nav function, but that would be a very bad day.
Back twenty years ago, I'd have tried messing with the NAV function. Now that I always have at least two independent GPSs with me let alone whatever is installed in the panel, I can't imagine having to fall that far back.

I just tried out the nav function on mine after I read your post.

FTA-550AA, I actually tried tracking a radial on it a couple of flights ago, works pretty well.

I use the handheld to get ATIS and sometimes IFR Clearance before engine start.
Comm only now. I did have a Comm/Nav handheld prior, the NAV side was not very usable.
A Comm/GPS could be usable if it could hold a reasonable airport database.

Primary use in gliders that do not have an installed radio, and for backup radio.

Emergency used the handheld once. Total electrical failure on long straight in final with towered airport when the gear went down. I landed and then called them on handheld after clearing the runway.

Back