Poll: Cold Weather Flying & Fuel Sumping

When it comes to cold weather flying and fuel sumping which category best describes what you do?

• I only fly when it's above +32F

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • I fly down to +20F (always sump)

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I fly down to +20F (don't sump below freezing)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I fly down to +10F (always sump)

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • I fly down to +10F (don't sump below freezing)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • I fly down to 0F (always sump)

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • I fly down to 0F (don't sump below freezing)

• I fly below 0F (always sump)

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • I fly below 0F (don't sump below freezing)

• I have a heated hangar you silly fools

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sinistar

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Brad
Last edited:
Add me to the list of people who are wondering.... next weekend is supposed to be -5 for high. Do i sump or what??

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Always sump no matter temp and I’ll fly to 0 and below.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I let the passenger(s) sit in the FBO while I go do the pre-flight with sumps, skip nothing no matter what the temp.

Then you run inside and warm up for a few minutes. After that, we all go to the plane.

EDIT: In the extreme cold, I try not to tax the battery, so when I do the lights check, I reach in, flip the switches, scurry around quickly, and switch the lights off.

I let the passenger(s) sit in the FBO while I go do the pre-flight with sumps, skip nothing no matter what the temp.

Then you run inside and warm up for a few minutes. After that, we all go to the plane.

EDIT: In the extreme cold, I try not to tax the battery, so when I do the lights check, I reach in, flip the switches, scurry around quickly, and switch the lights off.
Try doing that in a single door piper

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Personal plane, 0f is where it's just not pleasant and more work than reward, I do sump in my hangar though.

Work plane we're good to -58f, preflight and everything are done in the heated hangar.

You need a "Depends on the plane" option.
Yeah, I didn't know how specific to be. To be more specific, I was thinking piston engine planes (not turbines) where 100LL is being used. So that takes out the Jets, TBMs, King Air's, etc. And maybe if you're burning MOGAS its your call. Not sure if that helps? Just really curious how cold people flying their GA planes and who's a sumpin' and who's not. Thanks for asking. I'll revise the question.

I do this too!! Since its dim in the hangar with the door closed I can see all the lights reflecting off the walls except the tail stinger since its farther away from the back wall.

Actually they do mention draining and sumping at the end of the 6th paragraph.

The constant speed prop cycling every 30min is a new one to me (and not in our POH). Time a read a bit more there.

Hi today in Juneau is suppose to hit 47F. Guess I can go sump the tanks....:)

Yeah, I didn't know how specific to be. To be more specific, I was thinking piston engine planes (not turbines) where 100LL is being used. So that takes out the Jets, TBMs, King Air's, etc. And maybe if you're burning MOGAS its your call. Not sure if that helps? Just really curious how cold people flying their GA planes and who's a sumpin' and who's not. Thanks for asking. I'll revise the question.

If I have somewhere to go and the weather is decent, I will fly. Cold has never factored into the decision. Yes, when it's 8°F outside, better bundle up as the hangar has no heat. But the plane sure has great performance!

Since moving from WV to AL, low temps have been less of a concern until the past 2-3 weeks. Add a few inches of snow and I could be convinced that WV had followed me south . . . .

If it's too cold to do a proper preflight then it's too cold for me to fly. And yes I have found water in the tanks once before so not sumping is not an option.

Back