Polish maneuvers or wait out the wx?

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
So I have almost all of the regulations done to do the checkride. I still need to do my solo xc hours and polish up the maneuvers (they've all been introduced and practiced a couple of times) The wx here in NorthWest Ohio is going to be turning colder with snow. Which makes it harder for me to get my xc hours in of course. My CFI said we can practice the maneuvers and stuff until there is a nice clear day for me to make my cross country. Sounds like a good idea unless it is Spring when the weather breaks. Wouldn't it be more cost efficient to get my cross country done FIRST and then polish the maneuvers and then prepare for the checkride? My CFII & I are good friends so I *can* say the same to him but wanted an outside opinion.

I'll suggest keeping your hand in on the maneuvers while waiting on completion of the XC's. No need to polish, just do them every other week (or two) or so. It's much too easy to lose a newly learned skill...

I'll suggest keeping your hand in on the maneuvers while waiting on completion of the XC's. No need to polish, just do them every other week (or two) or so. It's much too easy to lose a newly learned skill...

Tell me about it...doesn't even have to be a newly learned skill, just one that requires some brushing up on now and then. Went to fly the plane down to the grass strip at the end of my town just for fun, ended up going around twice and that's when I called it. I just didn't have my speed under control for a short field...just thinking about it now, I'm a little disappointed in myself. Last short field landing I did was about a month and a half ago, so I guess I know what I'll be doing next time I go up!

Tell me about it...doesn't even have to be a newly learned skill, just one that requires some brushing up on now and then. Went to fly the plane down to the grass strip at the end of my town just for fun, ended up going around twice and that's when I called it. I just didn't have my speed under control for a short field...just thinking about it now, I'm a little disappointed in myself. Last short field landing I did was about a month and a half ago, so I guess I know what I'll be doing next time I go up!

Well Collin, I guess it's just time for me to get my butt down to Selinsgrove and get you out in the plane already!!!!

Oh, and never be disappointed in yourself dude....we ALL need to keep up the skills!

BTW:

Is this posting aimed at Polish maneuvers (like pierogis, kielbasa, etc.)
or to polish maneuvers (like Pledge, Turtlewax):ihih:

Last edited:
What is your objective?

Do you want the ticket just for transportation, do you just want to fly, or are you going to quit once you get it?

If the interest is in flying, don't worry about the most cost effective way to "finish up" - just enjoy the process. Go out and do whatever it is you need to be proficient.

I'd keep practicing when the local weather is nice and surrounding weather is bad. But don't count out doing your cross country in the winter. We get some beautiful flying days during the winter. Just be ready to go and hope the good days are days you are available to fly. It is the same with Spring, the same with Summer and the same with Fall. The weather can always get in the way. It is all a part of the flight planning process.

Barb

Well Collin, I guess it's just time for me to get my butt down to Selinsgrove and get you out in the plane already!!!!

Oh, and never be disappointed in yourself dude....we ALL need to keep up the skills!

BTW:

Is this posting aimed at Polish maneuvers (like pierogis, kielbasa, etc.)
or to polish maneuvers (like Pledge, Turtlewax):ihih:

Heh, I guess so! A short field landing starts on the downwind, and I just didn't do that. I don't know why, but I just failed to do what I know how to do. I'm just looking forward to going up and practicing and nailing some short field landings next time I go up!

There are certain "laws" in learning which apply to your situation. Law of recency mostly aptly applies. I say go out and practice perfecting the maneuvers. Get some experience in conquering errors and finally arriving to how it's supposed to be done. Than repeat that best performance. And again. Build some confidence.

When the test is scheduled you'll be ready.

The more solo practice you get, the more comfortable and confident you'll be in your own abilities. If you can't go solo XC, go solo to the practice area. If you can't go solo to the practice area, go solo in the pattern. It's all PIC time, and all has value down the pike.

Polish maneuvers or wait out the wx?

I thought this thread was going to be a Pollock joke about about launching into bad weather... Please continue...

More practice is more better.

After doing this enough and getting a bunch of hours under your belt (especially in the same airplane), time away from the controls will have less of a negative effect. However at your current level, it won't take long for a significant degredation in performance to start setting in. Best to keep the skills up.

Cross countries are skills, also, and you'll get rusty at doing those. When you're still a student, your comfort zone can shrink surprisingly quickly.

Back