Police stop drivers at roadblock, ask for hair, saliva and blood

Softening up of the citizenry in my opinion. Also interesting that they chose Texas to do this. The more of this kind of stuff they do and get away with the more they will push it.

I think it is illegal search and seizure. I think it might be even a violation of law to ask under certain conditions. I think it might be considered a violation/abuse of "color of law". Even if there are signs and waivers claiming it was voluntary, a roadblock with officials could be considered less than voluntary.

According to the Nazis, many Jews "voluntarily" went to concentration camps. People are often afraid not to comply with "requests" by authorities, especially tyrannical authorities.

They will say it wasn't a law enforcement operation, just a government contractor doing a survey and even paying them for going along with parts of it.

Still doesn't make it right.

They will say it wasn't a law enforcement operation, just a government contractor doing a survey and even paying them for going along with parts of it.

Still doesn't make it right.

If I can Voluntarily chose to enter the parking lot and submit samples, OR choose to proceed on my way without being routed into the parking lot for screening / conversation, that's one thing.

But when everyone is detoured into the parking lot, and they are "pre-sniffing" you before you consent while they "explain" the "optional" "voluntary" program, and I can't leave until they process those in front of me, we have a problem.

Fort Worth PD cruisers (with "off duty" officers hired by the contracting firm) had the road entirely blocked, you HAD TO enter the parking lot.

Last edited:
Where's the warrant. What's your badge number. Call lawyer.

Fort Worth PD cruisers (with "off duty" officers hired by the contracting firm) had the road entirely blocked, you HAD TO enter the parking lot.

This is going to go sideways at a supersonic rate.... :mad2::mad:

And to think that there are still people around who take issue with the ACLU...

And to think that there are still people around who take issue with the ACLU...

Bunch of commies. They are quite selective in the liberties they believe in. How long til we are all running dash cams?

Just as a side note... I actually met someone named Bullwinkle today. I swear it's true.

If I can Voluntarily chose to enter the parking lot and submit samples, OR choose to proceed on my way without being routed into the parking lot for screening / conversation, that's one thing.

But when everyone is detoured into the parking lot, and they are "pre-sniffing" you before you consent while they "explain" the "optional" "voluntary" program, and I can't leave until they process those in front of me, we have a problem.
+1, I could not have said it better.
As most here know, I'm a retired cop. I generally support and give the cops the benefit of the doubt, especially when they have to make decisions in seconds.

That said, this is pure BS. Forcing them off the road is a detention, and unlawful, and no one from the PD should have gone along with this. SOMEONE from the PD should have said something to the effect of "Ummmm, what's the reasonable suspicion to detain these folks, exactly?":confused:
This is going to go sideways at a supersonic rate.... :mad2::mad:
ROFL! That's the exact truth right there. But no one will get fired. :mad2:

I think it is illegal search and seizure. I think it might be even a violation of law to ask under certain conditions. I think it might be considered a violation/abuse of "color of law". Even if there are signs and waivers claiming it was voluntary, a roadblock with officials could be considered less than voluntary.

According to the Nazis, many Jews "voluntarily" went to concentration camps. People are often afraid not to comply with "requests" by authorities, especially tyrannical authorities.

There isn't much on which we agree, but you are spot on there.

Another Gov. agency way out of control. Another test of how far the gov. can go ,and take your rights away. This administration that denies everything continues to chip away at individual rights.

Another Gov. agency way out of control. Another test of how far the gov. can go ,and take your rights away. This administration that denies everything continues to chip away at individual rights.
As did the last administration, and several before that, and as will the next one. I mean, hey, if it works so well why change anything? Keep chipping away at rights and privacy until there are none left, and all power is firmly and unquestionably in the hands of the government.

We're the police involved in this or not? Did the people getting 'pulled over' see police?

We're the police involved in this or not? Did the people getting 'pulled over' see police?

The article says off duty police , I would bet they where a paid detail in uniform.

The article says off duty police , I would bet they where a paid detail in uniform.

They were off duty, they were on a paid detail in uniform, in MARKED CARS with their LIGHTS ON blocking both lanes of traffic on North Beach Street and forcing ALL vehicles to enter a small parking lot for screening. No officers were in the lot--it was the government "contractor" at that point. But once you were in that backup, no choice but to go through the parking lot.

Public perception = "this is a police roadblock".

As a cop, IMHO, this is 100% BS. If I was stopped, hell would be paid, and my retirement account would have an increase.

Heck it seems like all you have to do is pay a little overtime money and you can get them to kick in doors if you want....

This post by Comanche Pilot deserves to be reposted here:

Carry cards that say:

"Hello Officer. *I see you are stopping me for either a routine document check or a DUI checkpoint. *I believe these to be an illegal infringement on my right to be free from being stopped absent probable cause. *Hence, I exercise my right to remain silent and have no intention of speaking to you about my travels or life today. *I will cooperate to the extent required by law and will provide you driver license, registration and insurance card upon request. *Thank you for understanding my concern for my rights."

He goes on to say:

If you print them and use them - every time you hand one out you will be pulled over and be asked to search your vehicle, your person and will be asked to do a field sobriety test. *POLITELY DECLINE. *Make sure you are parked in front some patrol vehicle dash cam and fire up your cell phone video recorder. *After they detain you for 15 or 20 min they'll let you go - if you have the cojones file a complaint with the local police commission over the violation of your civil rights, do so. *These officers simply do not like being unable to obtain blind consent to their 'orders.'*

Look - I KNOW cops have to do these checkpoints - its their job. *They are NOT allowed to pull you over because you exercise your rights. *Police generally HATE people who take their rights out and use them - its makes their job harder. *It makes them have to do their job.*

The Supreme Court has said REPEATEDLY that refusing to cooperate with police at a DUI stop is NOT grounds for further detention and inspection. *They can detain you if you refuse to provide them your DL, reg and insurance card but refusing to speak to them is not inherently suspicious. *

Last edited:
This post by Comanche Pilot deserves to be reposted here:

Carry cards that say:

He goes on to say:

He even recommended only opening the window enough to slip the card, license, registration, etc. through, so they don't get to sniff your breath.

Following Fourth Amendment legal advice from Commanchepilot? Oh Lordy. Good luck with that.

It's undoubtly better advise than a LE will give on the same subject.

Alaskaflyer is NPS? NPS is one of americas worst behaving craptocracies. Plus fish cops have all sorts of Constituitional exceptions written into their laws(yeah I know you aren't supposed to do that) anyone know if fish cop search and seizure laws has been to the higher courts? If it saves one baby rabbit it is worth the loss of liberty.

If going voluntarily means having a gun pointed at you while everyone around you is being beaten killed and dragged out of your house while everything is stolen than sure voluntarily.

If going voluntarily means having a gun pointed at you while everyone around you is being beaten killed and dragged out of your house while everything is stolen than sure voluntarily.
From what I understand it wasn't always that dramatic. Sometimes individuals and families were told to report to the train station the following day. Sometimes flyers were distributed. Sometimes written or verbal orders were given. Most people were like sheep, did what they were told whether it be out of fear and or blind obedience to authority. Some seemed to know what was in store, but often cooperated anyway

He even recommended only opening the window enough to slip the card, license, registration, etc. through, so they don't get to sniff your breath.

Which brings up another question that I don't recall being answered in the other thread.

When the cop says "step out of the car, please", can you politely decline?

Spike? Joe?

Which brings up another question that I don't recall being answered in the other thread.

When the cop says "step out of the car, please", can you politely decline?

Spike? Joe?

You have to obey all lawful orders. If he's asking, you can decline. If he's telling, you can't.

From what I understand it wasn't always that dramatic. Sometimes individuals and families were told to report to the train station the following day. Sometimes flyers were distributed. Sometimes written or verbal orders were given. Most people were like sheep, did what they were told whether it be out of fear and or blind obedience to authority. Some seemed to know what was in store, but often cooperated anyway

According to a docudrama that was produced in the 1970s, people were also simply lied to about how things would be when they got where they were going.

You have to obey all lawful orders. If he's asking, you can decline. If he's telling, you can't.

Well, i guess the question becomes: Do they have the authority to order you to do anything if you're not under arrest?

As an aside, I love your ignore list...both that you listed it and your selection of who's on it!

Back