Polarized or not?

Personally, I use dark, polarized sunglasses in my steam gauge Warrior. No problem with the gauges, no problems with the windows/windscreen, and no problem with my iPad provided it's in landscape orientation.

My suggestion to any with the question is to try both and decide for yourself.

The polarized thing is a problem with some displays (and iPads) and some windows. I prefer polarized and haven't had a problem in most of the planes I fly. So try it out.

To be clear about the issue of polarized sunglasses, any display device that uses liquid crystal technology (grayscale or color) will produce or reflect polarized light. Polarized sunglasses are linear polarizers with the polarization plane arranged vertically so they will suppress horizontal reflections, which partially polarize light in the horizontal plane. So any LCD device whose display elements are not arranged with their polarization in the vertical plane will be significantly darkened by polarized sunglasses. If some of those LCD elements are arranged with the their polarization planes orthogonal to your sunglasses, they will be nearly completely extinguished in your vision. Non-polarized sunglasses will avoid this issue altogether. The benefit of polarized lenses is pretty minimal compared to non-polarized lenses, but the disadvantages in driving and flying with electronic display devices are considerable. If you don't use LCD devices, or don't have stress areas in your acrylic windows, then you may not experience any issues with polarized lenses.

Yup. It's a matter of luck as to where the manufacturer rotated the polarized layer on your particular display, with respect to the matching layer on your glasses.

If they're off by 90 degrees, it's probably good.

Or, fly like this guy, so there are no windows or device screens for the glasses to mess up

4425EC9700000578-4872400-image-a-59_1505132197238.jpg

Forums crack me up. Polarized or non polarized? Pretty simple question eh? But it turns into arguments and disagreements. Imagine if it was a question of low wings vs high wings

Well, to be fair, both are rather polarizing topics....

I have polarized glasses. No effect on any of the LCDs in my plane.
The only device that my polarized sun glasses have problems with are King 155s. Since I don't have any in the cherokee, in 20 years of owning, I haven't had any problems seeing inside the airplane.

However....I've noticed that polarized doesn't work as well looking outside for airplanes, which is wierd. It's easier to spot with non-polarized sunglasses. I can't use Costco, Target, etc because whatever shop they use, won't do non-polarized. Which means I spend $$$$ at the shop that my opthamologist owns (he's a partner) to get exactly what I want for flying. On the other hand, the $$$$ titanium frames are 15 yrs old, practically indestructible, and I just get new lens when my eyes change.

PilotGanso's tie is swept back, but his hair is perfect, and no blur from 100+ kts airstream. Also, look at the reflection in his glasses. not exactly sky. I smell photoshop.

I always use my scrip polarized sunglasses to fly. I prefer them to my regular glasses because of the way the progressive grind looks while flying. I’ve never had any issue with instruments or water surfaces when on floats. iPad and iPhone included. iPads get rainbow distortion when viewed at an angle but that’s easy to manage.

Back