Polar Bear Swim

rottydaddy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
beaky
It being New Year's Day and my birthday and all, I did something crazy today: went to Coney Island to join the Polar Bear Club in their annual New Year's swim in the Atlantic!
Air temp was about 32F, water temp was... stupid crazy cold, I guess. Strode out with the second wave of what may be the biggest turnout ever for this event; went in up to my waist, sat down, dunked my head, and thought about going out a little more to do a few strokes. Changed my mind when I noticed my hands looked like bundles of fat red sausages and they hurt. That took about 30 seconds, LOL. The rest of me was fine, but the painful hands were not working for me.
The overall effect was salutory, though- reminded me of the first time I went from a hot tub into an adjacent swimming pool many years ago. A rush, for sure!
And this annual public event is done to raise money for Camp Sunshine, which adds to the feel-good. I donated a 20 plus 20 more for a T-shirt. Money well spent, as was the $8 shot of Jaegermeister afterwards, at the bar across the boardwalk.

Yeah, I went for my Polar Bear swim earlier too, damn, the water was cold, like 75°, luckily the air temp was around 80° :D

Will you do it again next year? Just as soon give them a donation and watch the event.

Back