POA's newest IFR pilot

foka4

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt Scudwalker
Okay, I'll make this brief, because I have to get back to my scotch:

After an exhausting week of work and checkride prep in my hotel room (I travel a lot), I did my IFR checkride at today. And I got my ticket wet on the way home with some IMC enroute and an easy GPS approach in IMC into IKV for gas.

It was a long day for a number of reasons, but here are some highlights:

1) WX on the trip from DSM to MCW for the checkride this morning delayed my arrival by 45 minutes or so as I had to flank, unflank, and reflank a storm cell near MCW to get in.
2) I'm prone to mathematical errors in my logbook, so I use a spreadsheet to reliably calculate my times. But I had a problem in the spreadsheet that resulted in an erroneous calculation of hood time (better widget = better idiot). I thought I had 41 hours, but I really had 39.9. (I can't make this stuff up.) A quick hop around the patch with a safety pilot resolved it nicely, and prepped me well for the DME arc approach in the checkride. How embarrassing.
3) My examiner is really good at finding those "corner cases" that you don't really think about when you're marching through the standard training curricula. Excellent education from an examiner who hasn't forgotten his real-world experience (as I expected).
4) I suck at knowing what's "real world" and what's "checkride world". When the examiner says you have an engine failure, don't ruminate about how you would handle it if it happened. Just push the darn Nearest button, fly at best glide, and get on with it. The flight and the oral are two different things.
5) If your examiner has a really cool airplane, plan your checkride on a day that'll create WX delays for your trip home. Pout a little, and you'll score a delicious ride as a reward for your efforts. Actually, I did two flights to kill time. Imagine a bigger contrast than a flight in an F1 Rocket followed by a hop in a Cub.
6) That's all I can think of, and my empty scotch glass needs attention.
7) Oh, and a new bottle of Balvenie 21 year port-aged scotch is a great motivator for completing a rating.

M

Sweet Matt. congrats on getting the IR done....

Now go put that T&B in the foka, and get that diamond altitude :)

Sweet Matt. congrats on getting the IR done....

Now go put that T&B in the foka, and get that diamond altitude :)

You're not the first one to mention that this afternoon. The T&B is sitting on my desk, ready to go.

M

Matt or Tony? Both of them keep trying to put one in my Ka-6 as well.

hmmmmmmm, Scotch. lol Congrats on the checkride! Now go and USE IT! :)

Congrats Matt!!!

That's awesome, Matt!!! I have some of that same scotch in the cupboard; will raise a shot to you tonight (it's been a while since I've had some of it... this seems a good cause for which to renew the imbibing).

What did you fly for the checkride? The 140 isn't IFR certified, I presume...

Last edited:
What did you fly for the checkride? The 140 isn't IFR certified, I presume...

I've been renting a 172SP that's actually an old Sporty's sweepstakes plane. I think it's a late '90s model, but it has low time and a King stack including a KLN94.

I forgot to mention it earlier, but my flight to the checkride this morning was my first solo flight in a tricycle gear airplane.

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Not many people appreciate the accomplishments we achieve in aviation, so it's always nice to hear from those who understand.

M

nice work! time to demolish the state altitude record! just wait for a day when Rick is working DSM approach.

"Glider DS cleared 5 mile radius of ames airport, block altitude 5000 to 15000, report reaching 15" :D

Congratulations, Matt!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for the kind words. Not many people appreciate the accomplishments we achieve in aviation, so it's always nice to hear from those who understand.
My ex-husband didn't get how excited I was about passing my check ride when I got my private. He had no idea what an accomplishment that was and how important it was to me. Tom was VERY happy for me when I passed my instrument check ride. He understood. :yes:

Great job, Matt! Now if you can get the 140 IFR certified (even /U, which isn't too hard) then you can put it to work better. :)

nice work! time to demolish the state altitude record! just wait for a day when Rick is working DSM approach.

"Glider DS cleared 5 mile radius of ames airport, block altitude 5000 to 15000, report reaching 15" :D

Dream on glider puds.

Matt Michael
Iowa state glider altitude KING:rofl:

Awesome, Matt! I hope to be joining you in a few months.

Man alive, all this rampant competence!

Congratulations Matt, and Jason.

As Greg said at Gaston's when we were talking about the skill level of pilots on our forum, "There's some real talent around here." I couldn't agree more. :)

I was gonna say, Matt might NOT be PoA's newest IFR pilot! So, who finished their checkride first? Congrats to both of you! :yes: :cheerswine:

Back