POA Scholarships

I do the young eagle program,not sure giving out one scholarship is helpfull.

Sure it is. One new scholarship is one new scholarship. The math backs that up.

As far as the folks concerned about whether or not the kid or person would still have to work for it goes, just how much money were you thinking you were going to collect for this thing from an online message board? Enough for the entire Private rating?

Most Aviation scholarships don’t cover even a tenth of a Private rating. I wouldn’t recommend making the thing huge, or anywhere close to a “free ride”, even if you can... split it into two or three if you collected that much money.

But anyway... back to the planning question... how big are your shooting for? Looking for $5 donations or $100 donations?

I’ve done that planning for a non-profit small club type thing. You have to get specific and then it either falls into place or it has to be modified, or in rare cases, dies on the vine.

$1 from every PoAer makes a decent pile of cash, but having done donation drives, that kind never works because it’s only about 20% of a membership base who’ll even consider actually donating to a special project of an organization.

And that’s paid membership organizations. Don’t know the numbers for “members” of a freebie website.

But... if you find the “right number” for that 20% that they’d donate and not feel like they overstretched their personal budgets, you end up with a much bigger end number.

We had a problem that money could solve in one of my non-profits I volunteer with, a number of years ago. We had this discussion and realized $100 was the right number. We got a fairly poor response out of 400 or so members, but we got enough members who did respond, to hit the target dollar amount.

We needed about $2000 and 20 people stepped up at that level. (No, that’s not 20%. Hang on. We priced the request high.)

We might have been able to do it at the $20 level, but the complexity for a volunteer accounting person and the letters for those folk’s taxes, would have been a lot more man hours.

Have to match the donation requested amounts to the disposable income bell curve of your target audience.

So I’ll start. I can donate a dollar. :) Now whoever is organizing this thing can work me up from there. :) :) :)

Sadly, the other thing that should be checked is if the legal entity of PoA could even do such a thing. Make sure that’s cool with them. I’d say it probably makes more sense to do it as a different legal entity, but getting 501c3 or similar status is a PITA. BTDT.

Sorry, but I have to laugh when someone refers to 6PC as old. And if I remember right, 6PC was the only other one on the board that donated to a fellow POAer that had broken his back and was having trouble getting medical attention.

Whatever happened to that guy?

Also at 41, I am basically a teenager in the aviation world.
However my hair is greying at light speed and I am growing more and more "Get off my lawn" every day.

I was thinking more...

3419d2e9e1ddaf38e5f562a65c1a5bda.jpeg

...Hell, I bought a Skywagon at 23 - entirely of my own accord.

It's all about drive and making it a priority. Regardless of age.

Actually it's all about age. And buying an airplane when one is young is very astute.

Unlike us oldies, you will be in the fortunate position of having plenty of working years left to recover financially from the airplane bankrupting the family. :D

I am turning into my dad. They all warned me it would happen.

There is no escape.

Nope. Same here.

I’m kinda enjoying his “Did I ask your opinion?” attitude, though.

He was right about that one. Serves well. Hahaha.

“Just a moment, may I interrupt for a moment? You thought I wanted to know what you think... I’m sorry if I gave you that impression.”

Along with a big smile.

People are absolutely baffled by it. They don’t even get it. They just kinda gape with their mouths opening and closing. LOL.

Whatever happened to that guy?
Also at 41, I am basically a teenager in the aviation world.
However my hair is greying at light speed and I am growing more and more "Get off my lawn" every day.
At 41, we're still the young guys at fly ins.

Back