POA Recognition

bstratt

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Canuck
Went to my local pilot store today to pick up charts, etc., for my trip to Norfolk next weekend. Walk up to the counter with my armful of books and the guy behind the counter says "Are you Barry?" I said yes and looked at him quizzically because I'd never met the man. He says he lurks on this board and saw my homebase and looked at my picture. Talk about coincidence.

bstratt said:
Went to my local pilot store today to pick up charts, etc., for my trip to Norfolk next weekend. Walk up to the counter with my armful of books and the guy behind the counter says "Are you Barry?" I said yes and looked at him quizzically because I'd never met the man. He says he lurks on this board and saw my homebase and looked at my picture. Talk about coincidence.

I guess you're famous now! Can I say I knew you when?

BTW were you wearing your biker getup when you bought the charts?

bstratt said:

How very different than if I met a guy who asked me if I were "Moxie" and said he lurked on the Babes, saw my homebase and looked at my picture.

It's just all so relative ain't it? :blowingkisses:

lancefisher said:
I guess you're famous now! Can I say I knew you when?

BTW were you wearing your biker getup when you bought the charts?

LOL! :) I'll give you my autograph at Gaston's!

No, I was wearing my AOPA hat. To tell you the truth I was very surprised he recognized me. He also said he had recognized me a month ago at Janesville and had tried to join us at Lakelawn the last trip.

By the way, I call that my "loan collector" outfit.

bstratt said:
It certainly is. I would have been far more intrigued if it had been a woman! :goofy:

Those occurrences are always interesting. A new restaurant had opened at the waterfront in Bath, ME. I'd not been there but Scottsdale MOM was in town, so we went to try it. When the waitress came with our drinks she said to me, "I've seen you somewhere, before. " We were at a loss as to the occasion. When the dinners were served the waitress said, "I remember. You were Colonel Pickering in 'My Fair Lady' , at the Lincoln Theatre."

In the server's absence Scottsdale MOM commented on, "Interesting ."

I said, "Yeah, considering the production had been four years ago."

HR

bstratt said:
By the way, I call that my "loan collector" outfit.

Guess I need one of those outfits for when I ride my Harley.

What do ya think, Moxie? Will I look dangerous?

;-)

RogerT said:
Guess I need one of those outfits for when I ride my Harley.

What do ya think, Moxie? Will I look dangerous?

;-)

Who needs an "outfit" to look old, mean, and ugly? Here I am, after a trip to a Babes meeting in Massachusetts. It was in March and I got caught in three rain showers en route, and two on the way home to Maine.

HR

Moxie said:
How very different than if I met a guy who asked me if I were "Moxie" and said he lurked on the Babes, saw my homebase and looked at my picture.

boy, and how! that would really freak me out. yikes! :hairraise:

(And Mark crosses off Beth and Moxie as people to introduce himself to when he visits their airports ...)

woodstock said:
boy, and how! that would really freak me out. yikes! :hairraise:
Oi. So if someone walks up to you at JYO sometime and says, Hey! You're Liz from POA, that would bug you?

I'd only get bothered by being recognized as Greebo because I'll be expecting the next statement to be, "By the way I have this problem with my computer..." :mad:

Doctors and Techies - we can't go anywhere w/o people wanting us to diagnose their trouble. :vomit:

:rofl:

Greebo said:
Oi. So if someone walks up to you at JYO sometime and says, Hey! You're Liz from POA, that would bug you?

I'd only get bothered by being recognized as Greebo because I'll be expecting the next statement to be, "By the way I have this problem with my computer..." :mad:

Doctors and Techies - we can't go anywhere w/o people wanting us to diagnose their trouble. :vomit:

no, that's different. what Moxie described is clearly lurking (anonymous) and then looking up someone's info - it sounds creepy. then again it would depend on how they presented - if they seemed normal and harmless that's one thing.

I think this shows a big women/men difference. women are always on alert to possible predatory behavior, men likely don't even notice.

woodstock said:
I think this shows a big women/men difference. women are always on alert to possible predatory behavior, men likely don't even notice.
How politically in-correct of you! Don't you know men and women are all the same??? :D :rofl:

Besides, who says men aren't attuned to predatory behavior? You're just saying that cause you think I didn't see you and all those other forum ladies stalking me! :hairraise:

The above post is written completely in jest and in no way is intended that anyone is REALLY stalking Greebo. We all know they'll stalk Brian long before they'll sink to my level anyway. :D

woodstock said:
I think you're wrong there. Women are wary of predatory behavior from the opposite sex, men relish it.

Greebo said:
How politically in-correct of you! Don't you know men and women are all the same??? :D :rofl:

Besides, who says men aren't attuned to predatory behavior? You're just saying that cause you think I didn't see you and all those other forum ladies stalking me! :hairraise:

The above post is written completely in jest and in no way is intended that anyone is REALLY stalking Greebo. We all know they'll stalk Brian long before they'll sink to my level anyway. :D

actually, I amend my statement to say: women notice and are creeped out. I get the feeling you men notice, but kinda like it. :D

woodstock said:
actually, I amend my statement to say: women notice and are creeped out. I get the feeling you men notice, but kinda like it. :D

No, we don't.

Greebo said:
You're just saying that cause you think I didn't see you and all those other forum ladies stalking me!
HA!!! TROLL!!!!! You thought your subtle little kittycat avatar would go unnoticed, but it's BAIT for unsuspecting female forum members...you're trolling for stalkers!!! Gotcha, Greebo!!! :rofl:

BTW, I'm ONLY KIDDING! I don't take myself too seriously, and I hope nobody else does, either!

woodstock said:
You say that like it's a bad thing... :goofy:

woodstock said:
you don't notice, or you don't like it?
Joe doesn't like it, but he's so handsome that he has to beat his stalkers off with a stick...

gkainz said:
HA!!! TROLL!!!!! You thought your subtle little kittycat avatar would go unnoticed, but it's BAIT for unsuspecting female forum members...you're trolling for stalkers!!! Gotcha, Greebo!!! :rofl:
Well yeah! Cause I don't get any stalkers!!!

I mean come on - would YOU stalk me?!?

VVV real life pic VVV

I think women have got to be careful. I just had something happen to me at my airport Saturday, which I won't describe here, but it really put me on my guard. I have felt so welcomed and accepted by all the guys -- and it's at least 90 or 95 percent guys -- and I guess I am too trusting, anyway. I feel at home there. So I let my guard down, and now I have to put it back up. I'm not REALLY one of the guys, even though most of the time it feels like I belong to the club.

bstratt said:

I've had people recognize me out and about in public, but you can tell they can't quite place where they've seen me. It's usually because the last time they saw me I was in uniform, and now I'm civilian clothes. It's funny to see the signs on their faces where it's obvious they are thinking hard trying to place where they know me from.

Twice I've had someone stare at me for several minutes in the line at the grocery store when it suddenly dawns on them where they know me from. When the light bulb comes on, they blurt out (loud enough for everyone in the store to hear):

"Hey, I know you! Wow, you look different with clothes on!" :hairraise:
Uh, yeah.. can we rephrase that please? :D

Toby said:
I just had something happen to me at my airport Saturday, which I won't describe here, but it really put me on my guard. I have felt so welcomed and accepted by all the guys -- and it's at least 90 or 95 percent guys -- and I guess I am too trusting, anyway. I feel at home there.
Speaking for the other 90-95%, who do we beat up, just point him out to us! :)

Toby said:
I think women have got to be careful. I just had something happen to me at my airport Saturday, which I won't describe here, but it really put me on my guard. I have felt so welcomed and accepted by all the guys -- and it's at least 90 or 95 percent guys -- and I guess I am too trusting, anyway. I feel at home there. So I let my guard down, and now I have to put it back up. I'm not REALLY one of the guys, even though most of the time it feels like I belong to the club.

Toby.. you are probably like I am. I don't mind being "one of the guys". I kind of like it actually. But I DON'T want to be one of the men.. which is what some jerks seem to think when you have a profession or hobby or what ever that is predominantly men.

Don't let 'em get you down.

And what Greebo said.. !!

Toby said:

I hate it for ya, Toby. Stuff happens.

I made the big mistake one time of using the toilet in the mechanics' hangar. Hoo, boy. Whacked me back into reality.

Greebo said:
Well yeah! Cause I don't get any stalkers!!!

I mean come on - would YOU stalk me?!?

VVV real life pic VVV
Somebody would...saw some documentary about stalking bigfoot on tv this weekend... :eek:

Carol said:
I hate it for ya, Toby. Stuff happens.

I made the big mistake one time of using the toilet in the mechanics' hangar. Hoo, boy. Whacked me back into reality.
Carol,

Bathroom reform has been my ongoing mission at the hangar. Well, that and learning how to fly the airplane. :rolleyes:

Ken Ibold said:
I think you're wrong there. Women are wary of predatory behavior from the opposite sex, men relish it.

I agree, to a point. It's nice to be asked (and face it, some of us aren't asked all that often - wedding ring aside), but if she pushes it I might be bothered.

My wife is occasionally worried about me and other members of the opposite sex. The hysterical thing is that I'd have to do the hunting - I'm not getting any offers! As a self-avowed geek, I accept this as my lot in life and thank my lucky stars that I have my wife.

Now for the flip side.

Women sometimes talk about a "code of men" when it comes to backing each other up. It's fairly true. Let's face it, if a man complains to other men about how their wife made them take out the trash after the 2-minute warning of a tied football game, he's gonna get sympathy.

On the other hand, there is a list of offenses that will get a man "denied the support of his gender". Do any of these, and you're not just cast out, you may be castrated.

1. Any sexual assault, especially against children
2. Beating wife or children (I'm not talking spanking here - I'm talking something that gets you charged with a crime)

(I think there's another one, that I'm not remembering at the moment.)

Do those, and you'll find that men will not only not be sympathising, they will be chasing you with pitchforks and torches.

Re: POA Recognition - Humor!!

Why Do Men Die First?

This is a question that has gone unanswered for centuries.... but, now
we know.

If you put a woman on a pedestal and try to protect her from the rat race...you're a male chauvinist.
If you stay home and do the housework...you're a pansy.
If you work too hard...there's never any time for her.
If you don't work enough...you're a good-for-nothing bum.
If she has a boring repetitive job with low pay...this is exploitation..
If you have a boring repetitive job with low pay......you should get off your lazy behind and find something better.
If you get a promotion ahead of her.....that is favoritism.
If she gets a job ahead of you.......it's equal opportunity.
If you mention how nice she looks......it's sexual harassment.
If you keep quiet..........it's male indifference.
If you cry.............you're a wimp.

If you make a decision without consulting her.........you're a chauvinist.
If she makes a decision without consulting you......she's a liberated woman.
If you ask her to do something she doesn't enjoy....... that's domination.
If SHE asks you.........it's a favor.
If you appreciate the female form and frilly underwear......you're a pervert.
If you don't..............you're gay.
If you like a woman to shave her legs and keep in shape..............you're a sexist.
If you don't.................you're unromantic.
If you try to keep yourself in shape................you're vain.
If you don't................you're a slob.
If you buy her flowers.............you're after something.
If you don't....................you're not thoughtful.
If you're proud of your achievements........you're full of yourself.
If you don't.................you're not ambitious.
If she has a headache.............she's tired.
If you have a headache..............you don't love her anymore.
If you want it too often.........you're oversexed.
If you don't................there must be someone else.

Men die first because they want to.
(ducking and runing!) :)

Moxie said:
bstratt said:
Went to my local pilot store today to pick up charts, etc., for my trip to Norfolk next weekend. Walk up to the counter with my armful of books and the guy behind the counter says "Are you Barry?" I said yes and looked at him quizzically because I'd never met the man. He says he lurks on this board and saw my homebase and looked at my picture.
Talk about coincidence.How very different than if I met a guy who asked me if I were "Moxie" and said he lurked on the Babes, saw my homebase and looked at my picture.

It means that Jim (as I recall) at The Pilot Shop lurked out on the old webboard and has followed us here.

When I visited and bought a bunch of stuff and rented the free videos he knew who I was, too. We talked for quite a while.

It's a great pilot shop. He always has a gadget or two that I haven't seen before....must........try.......but..................ver...y...... ......hard........to........resist......taking.......out...wallet. B)

Last edited:
Back