POA members in S WI/N IL?

judypilot

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Judy Parrish
I'm in Wausau, WI, right now and will be on may way to De Kalb, IL, tomorrow, but will have some time on my hands. Anyone around the area or in between whom I might drop in on? It would be business hours, though.

Judy

judypilot said:
I'm in Wausau, WI, right now and will be on may way to De Kalb, IL, tomorrow, but will have some time on my hands. Anyone around the area or in between whom I might drop in on? It would be business hours, though.

Judy

Shoot, you will probably be flying right past my airport, 10C, and the one closest to my house, 3CK. But I have to be in the office tomorrow. I worked from home today. BTW the cheapest fuel around here will be at North American Aviation at KRFD. Worth the stop just for the free ice cream. But then you are on your way to DeKalb and can get Ollie's frozen custard.

Mike A is close by but cannot speak for his availablity.

fuel at rockford is cheaper than poplar grove? i cant believe that. plus poplar grove is a great place.

Scott,

Yeah, I know it's a long shot, it being a weekday. But worth throwing out anyway. Would lunch be possible?

Judy

judypilot said:

Argh! Home is right along your path and my company's based in Wausau, but I'm gonna be in New Jersey and PA tomorrow. Gotta go retreive a formerly-broken-down (but brand-new!) truck in Lancaster. (Hey Ed... :D)

What's your schedule after De Kalb?

Just curious... Downtown or CWA? Been to both, but AUW is a great little friendly airport.

Kent,

Oh no! If I'd known you were in Madison, I'd have dropped in on the way up yesterday. I flew right past Madison, although IIRC I was still above the clouds at that point. But I have the approach plates. Sigh. Another POA near miss (I had a near miss with Dr. B last year).

After De Kalb, I head NW.

Actually, I ended up going to both CWA and AUW. I went to AUW, but as I was doing my postflight stuff, I realized I was overdue for an oil change. Since I had time, and since AUW doesn't have an A&P on the field, I popped down to CWA, where Les Blount of Coin Builders Aviation took great care of me. Incidentally, there was a United Express regional jet off the end of Rwy 35. Oops.

Then I popped back to AUW, and got to chatting with a guy who was hanging out in the lounge. Turns out he went to University of Idaho (my employer) for two years. Small world. He was also the tower controller at CWA who had cleared me to land; he had gotten off shift and came back. He gave me a ride to the hotel, which is within walking distance of my appointment this morning.

I had made the hotel reservation from the airport, and had asked about a shuttle to get back to the airport. The clerk at the hotel told me I had to arrange it ahead of time, so when I checked in, I arranged for a shuttle back to the airport later today. He asked me when my flight time is, and I told him, whenever I wanted it to be and that I was at AUW. He laughed because he'd been thinking I should never ride with that guy again since he had to have broken all kinds of speeding records to get me there that fast.

Last little funny story: I had to call my associate dean, who is originally from Wisconson. He asked if I saw Rib Mountain. "Rib Mountain?", asks I. "You mean that little hill? The one that is the only relief for as far as the eye can see (and it could see pretty far by the time I flew in yesterday)???" He just laughed and said that that's where people in the area come to ski. Sure enough, I can see it from my hotel room, and there are what appear to be ski runs on it. A run must last about 30 seconds.

Hate to break it to you, Kent, but that ain't no mountain.

Anyway, sorry to miss you.

Judy

tonycondon said:
fuel at rockford is cheaper than poplar grove? i cant believe that. plus poplar grove is a great place.
Never been there. I justed looked at AirNav and for the two FBOs ar RFD they are guarenteeing a price of $3.39/gal at Norht American and very unusually $3.15/gal at Emery. Seeing Emery lower is unusual to say the least, looks like fuel wars at RFD have started. What is fuel going for at Popular Grove? The last price on AirNav was $3.70/gal in mid-May.

At my FBO, 10c, it is at $4.08 for aircraft with accounts and $4.32 for transients.

Last edited:
judypilot said:
Scott,

Yeah, I know it's a long shot, it being a weekday. But worth throwing out anyway. Would lunch be possible?

Judy

I work well east of your flight path and unfortunetly I have a full schedule today and get away from the office for lunch :mad::(

smigaldi said:
I work well east of your flight path and unfortunetly I have a full schedule today and get away from the office for lunch :mad::(

Oh well.

Judy

lancefisher said:
Where NW?

Lance,

RST then FCM. I won't have time before RST, but will after. If you're closer to FCM, working something out is eminently doable. I'll send you a PM with my cell number.

Judy

judypilot said:
Lance,

RST then FCM. I won't have time before RST, but will after. If you're closer to FCM, working something out is eminently doable. I'll send you a PM with my cell number.

Judy

I'm about as close to FCM as you can get (I'm based there). I even have what should be an empty hangar there you can put your plane in this weekend through next week.

Scott:

I have been stopping at RFD for the last five years and have fueled at each FBOs. Saw the recent AirNav prices. I have learned that the price Emery has quoted me in the past has not included tax and flowage fees. Perhaps they do now, but if you call to check, ask ;-) North American has always given me the full price on the phone if I called.

Best,

Dave

judypilot said:
Lance,

Judy
If you are stopping at RST just because you want fuel...You might as well skip it. They closed their self serve pumps and jacked the price of the full service up significantly. (You can thank Regent for this) About 8nm or so west of RST is TOB..which has a self serve pump and fuel at a much better price..Probably save $1.50 or so a gallon.

Last edited:
jangell said:
If you are stopping at RST just because you want fuel...You might as well skip it. They closed their self serve pumps and jacked the price of the full service up significantly. (You can thank Regent for this) About 8nm or so west of RST is TOB..which has a self serve pump and fuel at a much better price..Probably save $1.50 or so a gallon.

Jesse,

No, I have an appointment there.

Judy

lancefisher said:
I'm about as close to FCM as you can get (I'm based there). I even have what should be an empty hangar there you can put your plane in this weekend through next week.

Lance,

That's pretty close! I will probably fly up tomorrow afternoon, weather permitting. I am meeting someone for lunch, and don't really have any place to go right away afterward. So I could meet you for dinner tomorrow, or before or after lunch Saturday or even for dinner Saturday. After that, I'll be on my way. It would be great to meet you. Did you get my cell number? I'm not sure about internet connection after right now, so if you didn't get it, I'm not sure what to do. Perhaps I can jump on a computer somewhere before I head up that way.

Judy

Well I guess I was totally wrong. Poplar Grove (C77), according to Airnav has 100LL for 3.70. I wouldve thunk it would be cheaper up there. Great little airport with nice people and a very nice fly in community.

tonycondon said:
Well I guess I was totally wrong. Poplar Grove (C77), according to Airnav has 100LL for 3.70. I wouldve thunk it would be cheaper up there. Great little airport with nice people and a very nice fly in community.

And a darn good little engine shop too. Club gets work done there, and local FBO too. I probably have 90% of my hours behind a Poplar Grove Airmotive engine.

I don't think anybody's gonna beat the $3.02 I spent for 100LL at MO8 last weekend. :no:

roger that kent. I was based out of there last summer for several weeks, and saw their shop. A first rate operation, looked like they did good work and were proud of it. Big shop, full of planes.

judypilot said:
Oh no! If I'd known you were in Madison, I'd have dropped in on the way up yesterday.

Judy,

No sweat - I actually left on Tuesday. I'm in ground-pounder mode. :(

Actually, I ended up going to both CWA and AUW. I went to AUW, but as I was doing my postflight stuff, I realized I was overdue for an oil change. Since I had time, and since AUW doesn't have an A&P on the field, I popped down to CWA, where Les Blount of Coin Builders Aviation took great care of me. Incidentally, there was a United Express regional jet off the end of Rwy 35. Oops.

Huh... I hadn't heard about that. Wonder what happened... Last RJ off the runway in WI was on a sheet of ice last winter, this guy doesn't have that excuse.

Last little funny story: I had to call my associate dean, who is originally from Wisconson. He asked if I saw Rib Mountain. "Rib Mountain?", asks I. "You mean that little hill? The one that is the only relief for as far as the eye can see (and it could see pretty far by the time I flew in yesterday)???" He just laughed and said that that's where people in the area come to ski. Sure enough, I can see it from my hotel room, and there are what appear to be ski runs on it. A run must last about 30 seconds.

Hate to break it to you, Kent, but that ain't no mountain.

Yeah, we know. :) The only reason anything in Wisconsin is called "Mountain" is that there's a ski area on it (Rib Mountain, Cascade Mountain, etc...). We do know they're not real mountains - The highest point in Wisconsin is called...

... Timm's Hill. :rofl:

BTW, here's my favorite view of Rib Mountain:

DSCN0637.jpg

flyingcheesehead said:
...The only reason anything in Wisconsin is called "Mountain" is that there's a ski area on it (Rib Mountain, Cascade Mountain, etc...). We do know they're not real mountains - The highest point in Wisconsin is called...

... Timm's Hill. :rofl:

BTW, here's my favorite view of Rib Mountain:
Didja ever hear why Chicago has the suburbs with names like Mount Prospect, Arlington Heights, and Prospect Heights?

Chicago was a muddy swamp. When the developers wanted people to buy homes way out there, they named them so the buyers would know that the land was high and dry above the mud. I think they said the highest point in Illinois is out there. It's a whole 400 feet or so higher.

There is scientific proof on the web somewhere that Kansas is FLATTER than a pancake.

mikea said:
Didja ever hear why Chicago has the suburbs with names like Mount Prospect, Arlington Heights, and Prospect Heights?

Chicago was a muddy swamp. When the developers wanted people to buy homes way out there, they named them so the buyers would know that the land was high and dry above the mud. I think they said the highest point in Illinois is out there. It's a whole 400 feet or so higher.

There is scientific proof on the web somewhere that Kansas is FLATTER than a pancake.

The highest point in Illinois is out by Galena not anywhere near the Chicago Suburbs. http://www.americasroof.com/il.shtml

judypilot said:
Jesse,

No, I have an appointment there.

Judy

I'm guessing you will need fuel at KFCM. There is a self-serve (credit card) pump on the SE corner at Modern Avionics. Last time I checked (about a week ago) the price was $3.52/gal. Most of the other FBOs fuel is around $4/gal. ASI and Elliot will probalby be the highest.

lancefisher said:
I'm guessing you will need fuel at KFCM. There is a self-serve (credit card) pump on the SE corner at Modern Avionics. Last time I checked (about a week ago) the price was $3.52/gal. Most of the other FBOs fuel is around $4/gal. ASI and Elliot will probalby be the highest.

Thanks for the tip! See you soon.

Judy

Well, we joked about this at dinner....looks like I'm the first one. I managed to connect with Lance and Jesse. It's so much fun to meet people! Wish I could make it to Gaston's.

Judy

judypilot said:
Well, we joked about this at dinner....looks like I'm the first one.

Huh? The first what? :dunno:

Wish I could make it to Gaston's.

So do we!

Found out today that a cousin of mine found a job at some sort of national lab in Idaho and will be moving there fairly soon. Hmmm... Another excuse to head out that way! :yes:

flyingcheesehead said:
Huh? The first what? :dunno:

To post "Hey I met....!"

flyingcheesehead said:
Found out today that a cousin of mine found a job at some sort of national lab in Idaho and will be moving there fairly soon. Hmmm... Another excuse to head out that way! :yes:

The Idaho National Lab in Idaho Falls. It's about a 2.5-hour flight over the mountains from where I live. Gorgeous flight and very nice if you're not nervous about flying over rough terrain.

Judy

So, did you make it home Sunday? How was the flight?

Back