PoA Meet-up in SoCal March 4th, 2017

Ravioli

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Unwanted Guest - Perma-ban Pending
Get your AOA indicators, certificates, legacy gps navigators, and BS detectors ready!

@Ravioli and @Ravioli's co-pilot are coming to town!

We're attending a wedding in Brea on 3/5. Most likely staying at the Marriott at CSUF.

I'd consider grabbing a plane at Fullerton and meeting up somewhere Saturday. (Camarillo, The springs, wherever)

Or if the weather doesn't look good for flying we can just meet somewhere for drinks and you can see my social skillz in action first hand!

Let us know...

Get your AOA indicators, certificates, legacy gps navigators, and BS detectors ready!

@Ravioli and @Ravioli's co-pilot are coming to town!

We're attending a wedding in Brea on 3/5. Most likely staying at the Marriott at CSUF.

I'd consider grabbing a plane at Fullerton and meeting up somewhere Saturday. (Camarillo, The springs, wherever)

Or if the weather doesn't look good for flying we can just meet somewhere for drinks and you can see my social skillz in action first hand!

Let us know...

BEWARE: Do not pull your certificate out around Ravioli! YOU have been warned! :ihih:

edit: Actually DO NOT pull anything out around him, if you know what I mean! ;)

Last edited:
I might still be in San Diego then. By The Springs do you mean Palm Springs?

I might still be in San Diego then. By The Springs do you mean Palm Springs?

Of course! Is there another Springs?

Us SoCal types all know. Kind of like going to "The River." Which river? The Colorado River.

Of course! Is there another Springs?
Colorado Springs. Santa Fe Springs is a bit closer.

Us SoCal types all know. Kind of like going to "The River." Which river? The Colorado River.
The LA River.

I grew up in SoCal, and I never heard Palm Springs abbreviated like that. The usual alternative name was "Coachella Valley" if the speaker didn't want people to associate it with 50s celebrities or Sonny Bono.

Colorado Springs. Santa Fe Springs is a bit closer.
The LA River.
I grew up in SoCal, and I never heard Palm Springs abbreviated like that. The usual alternative name was "Coachella Valley" if the speaker didn't want people to associate it with 50s celebrities or Sonny Bono.

Born in and lived in OC for the first 35 years of my life. "The River" IS the Colorado River. Nobody goes to the LA River for the weekend to water ski, mostly because it is nothing more than a flood control channel.

Equally true is that "The Springs" IS Palm Springs. Nobody goes to Santa Fe Springs or Colorado Springs for Spring Break. And those that go to Palm Springs don't typically say "I'm going to Coachella Valley" That would be as absurd as saying "I'm going to Joshua Tree National Park", unless of course they are thinking about camping and/or are fans of that crappy band with blow hard singer named after an airplane.

Born in and lived in OC for the first 35 years of my life. "The River" IS the Colorado River. Nobody goes to the LA River for the weekend to water ski, mostly because it is nothing more than a flood control channel.

Equally true is that "The Springs" IS Palm Springs. Nobody goes to Santa Fe Springs or Colorado Springs for Spring Break. And those that go to Palm Springs don't typically say "I'm going to Coachella Valley" That would be as absurd as saying "I'm going to Joshua Tree National Park", unless of course they are thinking about camping and/or are fans of that crappy band with blow hard singer named after an airplane.
In my experience, no one went to Palm Springs for Spring Break. They went to TJ or Ensenada. Palm Springs was where you went to play golf with old farts with slacks hiked up to their armpits. Not a very interesting place.

Who went all the way to Arizona to waterski? You could do that in Marina Del Rey.

But people don't just name places for where they had a party. People went to the LA "river" to race. Lots of flat unobstructed concrete.

Palm Springs did peter out after the ant-cruising rules of the late 80's.

I was never exposed to the race car crowd but that does make sense. I only knew of the sandrail and dirt bike places because there was crossover to the (other) river rat crowd.

In my experience, no one went to Palm Springs for Spring Break.
I distinctly remember seeing a report on the news about the crowds in Palm Springs for spring break. A long time ago because it was before helmet laws in CA which have been in place since '92. The reason I remember it so well is that there were many girls on the backs of motorcycles wearing only a bikini and sandals. Cringe!
Also have heard PS referred to as "the desert".

I distinctly remember seeing a report on the news about the crowds in Palm Springs for spring break. A long time ago because it was before helmet laws in CA which have been in place since '92. The reason I remember it so well is that there were many girls on the backs of motorcycles wearing only a bikini and sandals. Cringe!
Also have heard PS referred to as "the desert".

"The desert" definitely one I heard, though it was sometimes called "the low desert" to distinguish it from the "high desert" around Edwards. But I grew up in LA, rather than San Diego.

I left LA in 1986. Maybe there were a couple of years in there.... but in the early 80s, only Bob Hope fans went to Palm Springs.

Looks like Saturday is the best day for us. Probably will not be flying but if anyone wants to get together for a drink and some hangar talk let us know.

Thanks!

Dang - tough weekend for me as I have a pretty full schedule. But will keep an eye on this thread to see if I can break away for a bit. Downtown Fullerton has some hang-outs/bars, though that's a few miles away from KFUL (which is closer to the Buena Park side of things.)

Nobody goes to Palm Springs any more either except LGBTQ4RFZ and old people looking for the early bird special and cheap place to stay from May - October.

Oh well... meet up canceled due to lack of interest. Sad.

Back