POA Mascot

Flyboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ron Kinney
As many of you know, most members of the Babes fly around with rubber ducks siting on their instrument panels. (glare shield, dash board, what ever you want to call it)

So, what symbol can we use? A rubber chicken? A bobble head of Brian or Chuck? Has to be moveable for those of us that rent.

I know, one of those chick filet stuffed cows! :rofl:

A cat, a real cat,...very useful in IMC if you have a gyro failure.

Len

???

How is a real cat useful in IMC if you have a Gyro failure?

Greebo said:
???

How is a real cat useful in IMC if you have a Gyro failure?

You throw them out the window, watch which way they go, that's down.

NC19143 said:
You throw them out the window, watch which way they go, that's down.

The ASPCA frowns on that meathod. Use a goose instead, but keep the kitty inside and see which surface of the cabin its feet land on, then make appropriate corrective aircraft control inputs for totally safe and natural IMC flying.

Yeah besides...

... you might need to recheck your cat-scan later and if you throw kitty out the window you can't do that.

Flyboy said:
So, what symbol can we use? A rubber chicken? A bobble head of Brian or Chuck? Has to be moveable for those of us that rent.

I'm thinking a rubber dog or a pig. I especially like the pig - re: "when pigs fly". Maybe a buzzard? The chicken works too. No cats please.

Chip

P.S. Be careful if you Google "rubber toys" to get ideas. I found one or two that would accurately represent some of us, but are probably not appropriate. :)

gibbons said:
I'm thinking a rubber dog or a pig. I especially like the pig - re: "when pigs fly". Maybe a buzzard? The chicken works too. No cats please.

Chip

P.S. Be careful if you Google "rubber toys" to get ideas. I found one or two that would accurately represent some of us, but are probably not appropriate. :)

I'm liking the black sheep idea :)

I started looking for stuffed animal black sheep dolls on Google already...

...then I thought, you know maybe we DON'T want to be considering a black sheep as our mascot... ;)

Greebo said:
I started looking for stuffed animal black sheep dolls on Google already...

...then I thought, you know maybe we DON'T want to be considering a black sheep as our mascot... ;)

Come on!! I kinda like it. Like the black sheep squadron ya know.
Works for me, I don't mind being a black sheep!
Don

Dave Krall CFII said:
The ASPCA frowns on that meathod.

If you are adverse to throwing cats out the window to see which way is down there is also the less precise bread with butter method.

Len

The Black Cat Squadron" has that nice stealthy ring to it. They always land on their feet.

John J

John J said:
The Black Cat Squadron" has that nice stealthy ring to it. They always land on their feet.

John J

There was actually a Black Cat Squadron. As soon as I read it I saw the insignia in my head (I have odd stuff in my head, esp warbird stuff) and then I went and looked it up to confirm.
http://www.daveswarbirds.com/blackcat/logos.htm

My dad's patch had a pretty green cobra with a bomb in its teeth (494th Bomber Group).

sigh.

Terry

My vote goes for the Brian Bobble Head doll. Since he already had them made....

Brian_BobbleHead.gif

Michael said:

Brian_BobbleHead.gif

YESSSSSSSS

Or this:

From a spring drive last weekend down here "where it smells like money"....

Michael said:

Brian_BobbleHead.gif
:rofl: :dance:

Ebay collector's item, huh? High bid was probably about 50, right? Cents, of course.

Good one, Michael! :p

Toby said:
Nonmovable for those who fly upside down. :rolleyes:

I'm a babe, and I fly upside down... I have a "sucky" duck that Razor gave to me. It has a suction cup on the back. Perfect for when I fly in the citabra!

Missa

wsuffa said:
Bald Eagle.

This nest near me....

Bill. Is this the nest near Llano? I've been meaning to drive out and take a look a them. I wonder if they are still there?

Last edited:
Missa said:
I'm a babe, and I fly upside down... I have a "sucky" duck that Razor gave to me. It has a suction cup on the back. Perfect for when I fly in the citabra!

Missa

She gave you the sucky duck I gave to her?

Re: Cat and Duck IFR; POA Mascot

Greebo said:
???How is a real cat useful in IMC if you have a Gyro failure?
Here's the story (or at least one version)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Most people wish to fly on the old gauges at one time or another but are prevented by the high cost of the instruments necessary for this form of flight. The following is a more or less known and extremely simple method which may be used by all.

Place a live cat on the cockpit floor, because a cat always remains upright, he or she can be used in lieu of a needle and ball instrument. Merely watch to see which way he leans to determine if a wing is low and if so, which one. This will enable you to your aircraft level in route with complete accuracy and confidence.

A duck is used for final instrument approach and landing, because of the fact that any sensible old duck will refuse to fly under instrument conditions, it is only necessary to hurl your duck out of the cockpit window and follow her to the ground.

There are some limitations on the cat and duck method, but by rigidly adhering to the following check list a degree of success will be achieved which will not only startle you, but will astonish your passengers as well, and may have an occasional tower operator with an open mouth.

· Get a wide-awake cat, most cats do not want to stand up all the time, so it may be necessary to carry a fierce dog along to keep the cat at attention.

· Make sure your cat is clean, dirty cats will spend all the time washing. Trying to follow a washing cat usually results in a slow roll followed by an inverted spin. You will see that this is most unprofessional.

· Old cats are the best, young cats have nine lives, but an old used up cat with only one life left has just as much to loose and will be more dependable.

· Avoid stray cats. Try to get one with good character because you may want to spend time with her.

· Beware of cowardly ducks, if the duck discovers that you are using the cat to stay upright, she will refuse to leave the aeroplane without the cat. Ducks are no better on instruments than you are.

· Get a duck with good eyes. Near sighted ducks sometimes fail to recognise that they are on the old gauges and will go flogging into the nearest hill. Very near sighted ducks will not realise that they have been thrown out and will descend to the ground in a sitting position. This is a most difficult manoeuvre to follow in an airplane.

· Choose your duck carefully, it is easy to confuse ducks with geese. Many large birds look alike. While they are very competent instrument flyers, geese seldom want to go in the same direction that you do. If your duck seems to be taking a heading to Ireland or Sweden, you may be safe in assuming that someone has given you a goose.
other aviation funnies found at http://www3.sympatico.ca/doug_raine/Funnies.html

Last edited:
Carol said:
She gave you the sucky duck I gave to her?

I don't think so... She claimed they were all new and not out of her vast collection. I actually got a flock for my Private instead of just one. 1 regular duck, 2 sucky ducks (looks like they are suppose to hold tooth brushes) and a shower duck... It was a happy day and there was much rejoicing!

Missa

Last edited:
Missa said:
I don't think so... She claimed they were all new and not out of her vast collection. I actually got a flock for my Private instead of just one. 1 regular duck, 2 sucky ducks (looks like they are suppose to hold tooth brushes) and a shower duck... It was a happy day and there was much rejoicing!

Missa

Oh okay. No prob. If she *did* give you that one I am sure it was for a good reason and it sounds like it was :)

I kinda like the little pigs. A friend gave me a tshirt once for our air race that had a couple pigs flying upsidedown Stearmans with the caption:
"When pigs fly, it's usually with an attitude" I did see a slightly similar pig that had wings on it. Very cute, I should have picked it up.

ausrere said:
Bill. Is this the nest near Llano? I've been meaning to drive out and take a look a them. I wonder if they are still there?

Yes, Lisa, it is.

The nest is still there. The birds are still there. Attracts quite a crowd... you're driving down this rural road at, oh say 65, and all of a sudden you see signs that say "watch for slow or stopped traffic".

It's worth the drive. Take binocs or a telescope.

Re: Cat and Duck IFR; POA Mascot

gkainz said:
Here's the story (or at least one version)
Most people wish to fly on the old gauges at one time or another but are prevented by the high cost of the instruments necessary for this form of flight. The following is a more or less known and extremely simple method which may be used by all.

Place a live cat on the cockpit floor, because a cat always remains upright, he or she can be used in lieu of a needle and ball instrument. Merely watch to see which way he leans to determine if a wing is low and if so, which one. This will enable you to your aircraft level in route with complete accuracy and confidence.

A duck is used for final instrument approach and landing, because of the fact that any sensible old duck will refuse to fly under instrument conditions, it is only necessary to hurl your duck out of the cockpit window and follow her to the ground.

There are some limitations on the cat and duck method, but by rigidly adhering to the following check list a degree of success will be achieved which will not only startle you, but will astonish your passengers as well, and may have an occasional tower operator with an open mouth.

· Get a wide-awake cat, most cats do not want to stand up all the time, so it may be necessary to carry a fierce dog along to keep the cat at attention.

· Make sure your cat is clean, dirty cats will spend all the time washing. Trying to follow a washing cat usually results in a slow roll followed by an inverted spin. You will see that this is most unprofessional.

· Old cats are the best, young cats have nine lives, but an old used up cat with only one life left has just as much to loose and will be more dependable.

· Avoid stray cats. Try to get one with good character because you may want to spend time with her.

· Beware of cowardly ducks, if the duck discovers that you are using the cat to stay upright, she will refuse to leave the aeroplane without the cat. Ducks are no better on instruments than you are.

· Get a duck with good eyes. Near sighted ducks sometimes fail to recognise that they are on the old gauges and will go flogging into the nearest hill. Very near sighted ducks will not realise that they have been thrown out and will descend to the ground in a sitting position. This is a most difficult manoeuvre to follow in an airplane.

· Choose your duck carefully, it is easy to confuse ducks with geese. Many large birds look alike. While they are very competent instrument flyers, geese seldom want to go in the same direction that you do. If your duck seems to be taking a heading to Ireland or Sweden, you may be safe in assuming that someone has given you a goose.
other aviation funnies found at http://www3.sympatico.ca/doug_raine/Funnies.html

Got the book rules on BREAD & BUTTER Meathod ?

Back