PoA living along the I-80 corridor between SLC and Chicago...

woodchucker

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
woodchucker
*PoA members

I'm looking for wx advisories for a road trip. Driving to Ohio with the family for a funeral, leaving tonight. Wx looks good right now but we are coming back on Jan. 7, and it looks like a system is settling over the entire route.

Looking for any idea on how severe this might be for the return trip.

Driven the I-80 Cheyenne-Rawlins segment many times. Forecast for Sunday looks good. Windy and chilly, no precipitation. A little precip forecast for Saturday but not enough to cause problems. Road should be in good shape.

Travel safely.

*PoA members

I'm looking for wx advisories for a road trip. Driving to Ohio with the family for a funeral, leaving tonight. Wx looks good right now but we are coming back on Jan. 7, and it looks like a system is settling over the entire route.

Looking for any idea on how severe this might be for the return trip.
East and central Nebraska forecasting a 50% chance for a light wintry mix Sunday 1/7. With 13 mph winds probably not much blizzard risk here but may be a bit slick on side roads. Better forecast for any other day in the 10 day forecast.

Wow, that's a long assed trip!

Condolences, stay safe.

I have to admit, were I taking a trip of that length I'd think pretty strongly about the airplane. Once you get away from the rocks everything should be fine. Condolences on your loss.

The I80 corridor around Chicago sucks from like 6am to 6pm due to traffic and ever present construction. Starting around I57 and will usually suck until I65 breaks off in Indy. Try to travel outside those hours. Remember there is always lake effect snow that hits near Gary area.

Lincoln, NE area is good, I-80 clear of snow/ice. Weather fine, no known delays as of 3 Jan.

Sorry for your loss.

It must be northern Ohio, otherwise you'd take I-74 and I-70 rather than the dismal I-80. Are you going to make this a two day trip? That will be pushing pretty good, but it's doable. I assume you are going to RON somewhere between Grand Island and Omaha.
Iowa is forecast for snow and snow and rain on Sunday the 7th. Sounds like the roads will be sloppy but OK. The traffic will keep the roads clear at that temperature, but it will not be a fun trip due to road conditions and dumb drivers.

Okay, thanks so much! I-80 is a more direct route, but 70 would be an alternative if needed. If it's just going to be a light dusting I'm not too concerned. Just don't want to commit and see them shut down portions of 80. That would suck hard.

And regarding Chicago, whenever we make this drive we always plan it so we get through Chicago at night.

Originally I was just going to fly out, but the wife and one kid decided to join so decided to drive.

If you hear anything different wx related closer to Sunday please do share.

Back