POA keep em or get em flying program

You might not yet be as "expert" on flying that you may be some day but you're probably better versed in the issues that confront a student or wanna be pilot than a lot of pilots who've had their PPL for years.

Well thank you. I currently am in touch with one pilot from the purple board (we talk about his upcoming checkride and he updates me on his lessons and we email), several student pilots on POA (female and male) and even some still on StudentPilot. Maybe I'm already a mentor and just don't know it?

There are so many POA people in Denver because they get a mile closer to the sky even when they don't have the time or the $$ to go flying.

I think "the sky" is AGL, not MSL. :D

Now that I think of it, I did feel closer to the stars when I lived in Denver, but that may be because I could actually, freakin see them instead of just haze.

Well thank you. I currently am in touch with one pilot from the purple board (we talk about his upcoming checkride and he updates me on his lessons and we email), several student pilots on POA (female and male) and even some still on StudentPilot. Maybe I'm already a mentor and just don't know it?
Sounds like it to me!

I'm, well, everywhere. :)

But mostly in central PA, and be glad to help people here.

And for those not spying on your PMs, the Purple Board for Pilots can be found at http://www.purpleboard.net :) They/we are nice people!

I am part of "we" (I'm a member of the purple board) and I've met some of them at a fly-in and talked to some of them on the phone. I'm just saying if you look at the stuff on there vs. here (disregarding thread drifts) then you see more aviation here and more other stuff there.

I told you about it in our first few PMs. They talk a lot less about aviation and a lot more about silly things, but they are nice people.
You did, I think you mentioned a few colors (am I remembering right?) but I wasn't sure how to get to them (& I had forgotten what the content of the purple board was).

Thank you Kim!

You did, I think you mentioned a few colors (am I remembering right?) but I wasn't sure how to get to them (& I had forgotten what the content of the purple board was).

Thank you Kim!

Yay you have an avatar now! Why is there a doll in your hand or what is that?

Yay you have an avatar now! Why is there a doll in your hand or what is that?
I'm going to eventually change that pic, but for now, that's it.

My friend's daughter is doing a "Flat Stanley" project (it's a children's book, she's in 2nd grade) where she makes her own "Flat Stanley" and then sends it to someone that lives far away (she lives in San Diego). I have to take pics of it in all sorts of different places and then send it & the pics back to her. Kind of a pain in the arse (shhh! I hope she doesn't read this board!), but she's all excited about it.

Henning, two things:

1. This thread is about me (and others) becoming POA mentors for pilots in need. We should probably go back to that.

2. I'm not engaged (not even close).

Kimberly - it's Henning. Lately, it's been best to just ignore him.

We have a gnome? Why hasn't it arrived at my place yet?
Do you want to take pics with her before I send her back? Another female pilot picture?! Priceless! (You don't have to, I'm teasing, but how cool would that be).

Oh wait a minute... coming in high and fast here and completely missed the point- Tim, you have a travelling gnome??

Search for Hayden, who is the POA gnome who would get traded around at fly-ins and other meet-ups.

Do you want to take pics with her before I send her back? Another female pilot picture?! Priceless! (You don't have to, I'm teasing, but how cool would that be).

That would be way too much responsibility. Besides, that seems like a good conversation starter for you to meet more pilots at your airport.

Florida here. From Sarasota to Tallahassee, Vero Beach to Jacksonville. I travel all over the state and am at various airports each and every day.

This thread is a great idea. My roots are in NYC but I'm here and there at random times. I know a few good CFI's.

Last edited:
This thread is a great idea. My roots are in NYC but I'm here and there at random times. I know a few good CFI's.

Thanks Danos thats why I started it. I mean it just makes sense we have such a deep bench of resources here on POA!

Thanks Danos thats why I started it. I mean it just makes sense we have such a deep bench of resources here on POA!

Ted and I have had this conversation. There is so much here collectively.

There are so many POA people in Denver because they get a mile closer to the sky even when they don't have the time or the $$ to go flying.

I thought it was because the continuous O2 deprivation leads us to rash decisions to spend all our money and free time on aviation! ;)

Random thoughts:

1. Kim: Yes, you are a mentor - you're young, enthusiastic, and aren't afraid to share your experiences in aviation. I can't imagine much better "mentor" credentials.

2. It's about time Hayden re-emerged - where is he? He stowed away with me, TWICE!

3. "Flat Stanley": Hadn't thought about that in years. Have all manner of pics of that dude.

4. First there was the Yellow Board (AOPA's old board), and it was administered a merciful death; right before that, emerged...

...the Blue Board (Pilots of America), although at the time, there was no color-code ident; then...

...AOPA re-started its web board, using vBulletin like PoA (copycats!), and a dominant color scheme of red. Soon, common (and logical) custom dictated that AOPA be "Red Board," and PoA be "Blue Board"; then...

...Kim started up the "Purple Board" (get it? Red plus Blue equals...).

I pop in over in Purple Land from time to time, but between PoA and BeechTalk (see if you can guess what they talk about there...), and the occasional foray into making a living, I am about all boarded-up. Kim Pardon's a babe, though.

---

Edit: Right as I posted that, I realized - there's another Kim pilot! :D

3. "Flat Stanley": Hadn't thought about that in years. Have all manner of pics of that dude.
I've taken a number of pictures of that dude, in the Air and Space Museum and on Bourbon Street...

I'm out of flying on a daily basis by choice but am reasonably hopeful that I'll keep my hand in either with part time flying or maybe even instruction. I enjoy teaching although I'm probably best suited for someone serious about instrument flying or multiengine proficiency. I live in the greater Green Bay, WI area and would really enjoy the opportunity to pass on some of what I've learned over the years flying airplanes.

You might not yet be as "expert" on flying that you may be some day but you're probably better versed in the issues that confront a student or wanna be pilot than a lot of pilots who've had their PPL for years.

Thanks. I'm actually getting more and more involved (offline, not on POA) with members of all the boards and even some real life in person student pilots I met at an EAA meeting (just took them for a flight last weekend, waiting for video and pics from them). What I am finding is that I was not alone in my struggles, whether it be many hours to the checkride, instructor issues, DPE issues, or other things. My recent training helps me to provide them with help and advice, especially when it comes to saving money. I guess my lessons learned may one day help someone out there after all.

Back