POA keep em or get em flying program

AdamZ

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Adam Zucker
Greg Ts post on the issues he is having at Freeway Airport and his flight training debacle and all the responses got me thinking, One thing that AOPA did well was the pilot mentor program

Well we have pilots from Maine to Florida and Pennsylvania to California. There is no reason that POA student pilots be they posters or lurkers can't tap into our vast pilot base for encouragement, information and as a sounding board. We can even provide contacts to local CFIs not to mention the awesome CFIs we have right here on the board from whom students can get instruction ie. Ted, Jess, Tim, Jeannie Ron and I know others. Greg T already has a few offers. So lets get the list Started.

I'm in Southeastern PA and I can mentor and help find a good local instructor.

Where are you and what can you do for a student?

Last edited:
I can be an occasional lunch and encouragement, and can help locate a stable instructor as well. North Dallas (Addison).

I can mentor in the Chicago area. In fact, I was signed up with the AOPA program, albeit with limited success.

I'm happy to help out in the Denver area when I'm around: spring and early summer = good, late summer through winter = not around so much maybe but I'm trying to fix it.

I'm happy to help out in the Denver area when I'm around: spring and early summer = good, late summer through winter = not around so much maybe but I'm trying to fix it.

I can help out in the Denver area when Clark's not available.

Is it OK to volunteer if you don't live in Denver?

Knoxville, TN area.

Knoxville, TN area.

For you? Sure. In fact, it's almost an imperative.

:)

NWOhio area - I may only be a student pilot but I have lots of experience with crappy instruction and having a horrible learning curve. Supposedly on the road to the checkride though.

I'm based at Orlando Executive (KORL) and can offer encouragement and connections to a flying club with instructor. It's about the most cost effective way to earn your PP I ever found.

John

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, I used to live in Denver, so I am quallified. If anybody wants a ride in a Tiger, let me know!

No Canadians please. :D

I am in west Texas..... Have students in alpine, terlingua, ft Stockton and pecos.... I'm available by phone and email too. I've had a couple of women from far away call just to visit and ask questions and I think that was good... So, I'll make an offer especially to the women students to contact me if I can help.

Quite happy to help those who find themselves in the middle of the Buckeye State.

Well, I used to live in Denver, so I am quallified. If anybody wants a ride in a Tiger, let me know!

No Canadians please. :D

Where are you based? I'm interested in Tigers.

DC Metro area. Not affiliated with any schools any more, but can give instruction in your airplane, or refer you to a good school if you're a renter, and refill your gumption reserves as needed.

I'm usually in So Florida, I can provide encouragement and emotional support...:popcorn:

I'm in New England. I just soloed, do I count? :smilewinkgrin:

I'm 5 minutes away ......

I'll let you know the next time I head to the airport. I forgot last time I went to bore holes in the sky, and needlessly burn 100LL. :)

I'm in New England. I just soloed, do I count? :smilewinkgrin:

Congratulations, fellow New Englander! I'm just beginning and am a long way from soloing, but it must be wonderful. For now, I can only dream.:rolleyes:

I'll let you know the next time I head to the airport. I forgot last time I went to bore holes in the sky, and needlessly burn 100LL. :)

awesome .... I have a new camera I bought for the wife for xmas that Im dying to play with. The dog is tired of posing for me :D

Congratulations, fellow New Englander! I'm just beginning and am a long way from soloing, but it must be wonderful. For now, I can only dream.:rolleyes:
Where are you? I'm in the Seacoast area of NH. It'd be great to meet!

Where are you? I'm in the Seacoast area of NH. It'd be great to meet!

I fly out of Groton-New London, Conn. And it would be fun to meet one of these days! Seems like everyone here lives in Denver.:D

I have a few great resources in southwest florida (CFIs/ flying clubs) and can help out locally in Philadelphia area!

I fly out of Groton-New London, Conn. And it would be fun to meet one of these days! Seems like everyone here lives in Denver.:D
:lol: On this thread it does! Well, when you do your x-country to the frozen north let me know and I'll meet you for lunch.

Youse guys know where I hang out (ONZ), right?

I promise not to laugh when you can't make the airplane actually turn.

Took my sister up and let her drive late last year, as we are crossing the fence I put my feet on the pedals and she goes "Oh, thank goodness, I was getting really worried." (She has very little taildragger time - but she did OK. Considering.)

NWOhio area - I may only be a student pilot but I have lots of experience with crappy instruction and having a horrible learning curve. Supposedly on the road to the checkride though.

And that makes you one of the more knowledgeable mentors!

Not really, it's that the "Denver area" really means the entire state of Colorado, usually. I don't think any of us live in the city limits of Denver, it's just easier to refer to it that way. We're just more vocal and see each other more often. For example, Clark & I and a couple silent members here are based at the same airport and all of us overlap as members of various aviation organizations in the state.

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and can offer the following:

Help / Support (Email, phone, IM)

Meeting in person for studying for the written or checkride (somewhere near me hopefully)

Flights, possibly, time and money permitting (If this weekend's checkout goes OK, I will have access to 4 planes and perhaps within the next year I'll even have a rental 2-seater taildragger on top of all that)

Etc. I'm no "expert" but I am a pilot and often people just want someone to talk to other than their CFI who CHARGES them for their time.

I am in west Texas..... Have students in alpine, terlingua, ft Stockton and pecos.... I'm available by phone and email too. I've had a couple of women from far away call just to visit and ask questions and I think that was good... So, I'll make an offer especially to the women students to contact me if I can help.

I'm assuming you don't mean me? Though our late night airplane talk chat was the most fun I've had in a long time.

What guy? Jeanie is a girl. I'm confused.

Right, if Jeanie gave you the best time in a long time while you're in the midst of an engagement; that means the guy you're gonna marry didn't, not exactly a positive outlook....:popcorn:;)

Right, if Jeanie gave you the best time in a long time while you're in the midst of an engagement; that means the guy you're gonna marry didn't, not exactly a positive outlook....:popcorn:;)

Henning, two things:

1. This thread is about me (and others) becoming POA mentors for pilots in need. We should probably go back to that.

2. I'm not engaged (not even close).

I can mentor in the Chicago area. In fact, I was signed up with the AOPA program, albeit with limited success.
I'm on the southwest side of the Minneapolis MN area and have mentored a few pilots new to flying in general and or instrument flying.

Not really, it's that the "Denver area" really means the entire state of Colorado, usually. I don't think any of us live in the city limits of Denver, it's just easier to refer to it that way. We're just more vocal and see each other more often. For example, Clark & I and a couple silent members here are based at the same airport and all of us overlap as members of various aviation organizations in the state.
I'm not sure how the Denver (Colorado?) contingent on POA got so big but I am here too. I don't have an airplane but I can act as a designated passenger, safety pilot, or CFI on a limited basis. I also enjoy going out to lunch, dinner or hangar BBQs.

There are so many POA people in Denver because they get a mile closer to the sky even when they don't have the time or the $$ to go flying.

There are so many POA people in Denver because they get a mile closer to the sky even when they don't have the time or the $$ to go flying.
(You can do that at KSUN too!). :yesnod:

I am in the San Francisco Bay Area and can offer the following:

Help / Support (Email, phone, IM)

Meeting in person for studying for the written or checkride (somewhere near me hopefully)

Flights, possibly, time and money permitting (If this weekend's checkout goes OK, I will have access to 4 planes and perhaps within the next year I'll even have a rental 2-seater taildragger on top of all that)

Etc. I'm no "expert" but I am a pilot and often people just want someone to talk to other than their CFI who CHARGES them for their time.
You might not yet be as "expert" on flying that you may be some day but you're probably better versed in the issues that confront a student or wanna be pilot than a lot of pilots who've had their PPL for years.

Back