PoA Convoys: Major "bucket list" level trips

I can give ya an example of "different strokes". I virtually never make fly-in pancake breakfasts because I just hate flying at the crack-ass of dawn.

I always joke that I'll come out for the fly-in Steak dinner. ;) Young Eagles? You get together at *what* time for your briefing? Yeah... I'll be sleeping then. Sorry! ;)

Some people just don't do mornings well. ;) Pilots as a population seem to be over-represented by early birds.

Maybe I'd be one too if my job weren't to fix computers in after-hours maintenance windows while you all sleep. My typical work day is "bankers hours" because at least two days a week I'm working after
If I were flying Commercially, I'd be that weird guy bidding all the night and standing-overnight stuff, too.

Make me fly directly East at dawn and I'll probably beat you with a Sectional chart. Ha. Hate that.

So that's one example. Some jackwagon is going to be up at 0430 making his breakfast and launching at 0600. I'd catch up later. Heh.

You, me, Kent, and Jeb Burnside!

While working to help a friend close a deal on a 182, I became acquainted with the seller and heard his story about his 58-hour trip to Alaska. After thinking about that commitment, and having flown commercially to Alaska and toured the country before returning on a cruise ship, I decided I would rather do my flying in Alaska rather than to-and-from Alaska.

While working to help a friend close a deal on a 182, I became acquainted with the seller and heard his story about his 58-hour trip to Alaska. After thinking about that commitment, and having flown commercially to Alaska and toured the country before returning on a cruise ship, I decided I would rather do my flying in Alaska rather than to-and-from Alaska.

Bah... It's all part of the adventure! :yes: And there's a lot of neat stuff between here and AK too.

I'm a "crack of dawn" type myself.
Long over-water flight? I don't think so, Tim.
While the idea of a long trip strikes me as a neat thing
to do, I'm afraid there is no way I could ever afford to do
something like that.

Fort Nelson
I went to Fort Nelson a few years ago and in the FBO there was a guestbook which I started reading. There were an incredible number of small airplanes that went through there on their way to Alaska. I think that the inland route which involves Fort Nelson is much easier weatherwise than the coastal route by way of Ketchikan.

I'm not *quite* as strict as Jeb with his "no key shall turn before noon" rule. But 10AM has always been a nice departure time for me. ;)
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only pilot who can't stand to get up early.

In the nearly 9 years since getting the ticket, I've only been to two pancake breakfasts, and one of them I drove to (well, rode along anyway). I don't even say I'm planning to show up, because the truth is, the chances are pretty close to zero.

I can be at the airport and starting to preflight at 10am. But I can't remember leaving before 11am anytime in the last 5 years.

And don't get me started on those 9am club workbees. Grrrr.

This week was the definition of hell for me. CAP did a Communications exercise and I was the unlucky sap who's turn it is at VHF Net Control Station duty.

National and Region raised our "alert" level to Red then Orange for Communications as a test. This meant local radio Nets at 06:30, 12:00, 19:00, and 22:00. Those last three are cake. But 06:30?! Orange drops the middle two.

I bet my neighbors wondered why the hell I was sitting in my Yukon with a laptop and two clipboards talking into a radio in my bathrobe and slippers and/or deck shoes for the last few days at 06:30. LOL!

No one has shown up with any Paparazzi photos yet, thankfully. But I do make a good middle-aged guy wandering around outside in his bathrobe icon of good looks. Bwahaha.

I danced a jig when the stand-down message came through tonight in e-mail.

This week was the definition of hell for me. CAP did a Communications exercise and I was the unlucky sap who's turn it is at VHF Net Control Station duty.

National and Region raised our "alert" level to Red then Orange for Communications as a test. This meant local radio Nets at 06:30, 12:00, 19:00, and 22:00. Those last three are cake. But 06:30?! Orange drops the middle two.

I bet my neighbors wondered why the hell I was sitting in my Yukon with a laptop and two clipboards talking into a radio in my bathrobe and slippers and/or deck shoes for the last few days at 06:30. LOL!

No one has shown up with any Paparazzi photos yet, thankfully. But I do make a good middle-aged guy wandering around outside in his bathrobe icon of good looks. Bwahaha.

I danced a jig when the stand-down message came through tonight in e-mail.

How good looking are you? Your avatar is only your plane. To be rocking a bathrobe and slippers and still look fabulous, you must be a super model.

I went to Fort Nelson a few years ago and in the FBO there was a guestbook which I started reading. There were an incredible number of small airplanes that went through there on their way to Alaska. I think that the inland route which involves Fort Nelson is much easier weatherwise than the coastal route by way of Ketchikan.

That all depends upon the day.. You get a big high pressure in the north Pacific and it will clear out every thing between VanCouver to Anchorage.

But on the other hand, if it's a low, you won't see the ground any where on the route.

When you want to do that let me know, I'll fix ya up :) because that is where the fun is.

Because the route you suggest is going to take you across the continental divide several times with no purpose.

When you go to Alaska go with the idea of doing some thing fun. because 99.5% of the tourist only see 2% of the state. Flying up give you the opportunity to see a lot more than that.

I need to get up to Fairbanks and see my great uncle's artifact collection.

I would think so as well. Prince Rupert is one of the most dismal places for weather ever. I think they hold the record for least days of sunshine. If you have a seaplane, you are golden on the coastal route. If it's too foggy to fly you can taxi with an outboard.

You just want to meet Ariel Tweto, Kent. Just admit it!

Kent, did you get to chat with Ariel Tweto at the Cessna display this week? I saw her and several "Flying Wild Alaska" crew there this afternoon giving autographs and selling stuff.

Kent, did you get to chat with Ariel Tweto at the Cessna display this week? I saw her and several "Flying Wild Alaska" crew there this afternoon giving autographs and selling stuff.

Dang, is she still there? I may need to stop by!:yesnod::)

Oops... Never stopped by Cessna, never saw Ariel. Doh!

Grant, it was nice to see you yesterday. Did your camp site hold up for that gust front that occurred around 4:45 yesterday?

Yes, though Tim had trouble with his rain fly. We could see about a half dozen damaged or destroyed tents from out campsite, and two portapotties blew over. Luckily, they are designed so they don't spill.

Back