POA and Google search engine

RotaryWingBob

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHover
This is an FYI, I guess, rather than a question.

Posts from this board (and the red board, as well) are somehow making it into Google searches. I googled the tail number of our Cherokee and came up with a whole bunch of posts on both boards.

So a word to the wise -- don't put anything into your posts or signature that you don't want someone else to be able to google... :no:

I read somewhere, and have an abbreviated version of, in the charter for a chatgroup I run, "Don't post anything that you would not say face to face to all close family members, relatives, friends, community leaders, law enforcement, any government body." Pretend you have a huge megaphone and are shouting to the entire world!
I found something I posted about 10 years ago on a non av, technical topic, and was fairly surprised to see it hanging around still.
There are times I would like to discuss things here but have chosen not to, in order to protect someone's privacy. I trust email more but in no way 'entirely'.

Cool. Lemme try something really dumb then.

" Dave Westner is a big fat dork! "

Michael Driggs, millionaire. Owns a mansion and a yacht. Mr Driggs won the coveted pilot of the year award for the 5th year in a row. with charitable contributions topping 20 million dollars.

<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">

Can we add something like this?

deafsound said:
Cool. Lemme try something really dumb then.

" Dave Westner is a big fat dork! "
Nope, nothing yet...

Attachments

• googlesearch.jpg
    googlesearch.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 28
gibbons said:
<meta name="robots" content="noindex,nofollow">

Can we add something like this?
We don't WANT to add something like that.

PoA is in the search engines because we wanted it there for publicity and new membership.

I believe (and this is supposition) that AOPA was supposed to be a closed board and not show up in the searches but that's not the case. Not sure if they changed their policy or some background HTML coding was missed.

Brian Austin said:
We don't WANT to add something like that.

PoA is in the search engines because we wanted it there for publicity and new membership.

I think we can get sufficient publicity by indexing our home page only, and not indexing our content pages. Just my $.02. The indexing of our content pages won't stop me from posting (sorry), but it might stop some of our members - that's a bad thing.

i think google is how i found this board. this is definately a good thing. there is hardly any new content on the home page and that would result in pretty bad rankings if it were the only page that was spidered.

the information on this board in nearly every post is a good thing to be found by search engines. it may help other pilots and also help the community grow.

if anyone is concerned about privacy, just register an alias and don't put your name in the title.

The general advice of not posting anything you wouldn't want seen by non members is good advice on any forum.

As Brian said - we want the exposure. We want Google, yahoo and all the other search engines crawling our site. :)

gibbons said:
I think we can get sufficient publicity by indexing our home page only, and not indexing our content pages. Just my $.02. The indexing of our content pages won't stop me from posting (sorry), but it might stop some of our members - that's a bad thing.
The content is what I tend to search for, however. If I was looking for information on a new plane, I wouldn't search for "pilot" or even "plane". I'd search for a specific model or "purchase advice new plane". None of that would come up with only the home page indexed.

As others have said: nothing is private on the Internet, even if you THINK it is. Once it hits the wire in some way, shape or form, it's public.

Back