Pneumatic Retinopexy and BasicMed

M

Maule Man

I am a PP and have always had a 3rd Class Medical. Because I sold my plane in 2015 I did not renew my medical when it expired in December, 2016.

I am in the process of purchasing another plane, and am considering using the BasicMed when it is available May 1.

Sometime in 2016 I suffered a retinal tear, but no detached retina. In September 2016 I had the tear repaired with cold probe and pneumatic retinopexy. As I am conservative by nature, since having the procedure I have had two additional exams by the surgeon (one week and one month, standard procedure), and three other exams by by an Optometrist and an Ophthalmologist. In every case there have been no issues detected and I have been given a complete bill of health to pursue whatever activities I desire.

My question is this: Will this be considered a "medically disqualifying condition" under the new BasicMed requirements? The form requires that I indicate this procedure, and that I certify that I have no "medically disqualifying conditions". Can I list the procedure, and attest that I have no "medically disqualifying conditions"?

Thank You.

An AME such as Dr. Bruce Chien will have to provide the official list of what to do. But I recall past discussions of things to do with your retina that say it's possible. There will be a certain set of documentation and test results you must obtain and submit. Dr. Chien can advise you on that list.

Finally, find an AME who has successfully managed cases similar to yours. It will save you time and frustration over the random AME from the phone book who isn't as experienced.

His question was about BasicMed not a class 3. He has had a Class 3 in the last 10 yrs and has not been denied it. I think he is eligible for BasicMed, and may not have to jump through any FAA hoops.

Maule Man, saw your question got answered yes Dr. Chien on the AOPA board. Best of luck to you!

There are only three classes of things that BasicMed disqualifies you out of the gate: mental health, neurological, and CV conditions.
You have one of the listed subitems under these, you need to get at least one SI for them to go through basic med. Anything you have gotten an SI for, or doesn't fall into one of these (such as the condition in the original post), all you have to do is convince the doc doing your BasicMed checklist that you are safe to fly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back