Plumbing Question

FormerHangie

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
FormerHangie
A few years ago, the bathtub drain in our hall bath started leaking. I called in a plumber who fixed it. A few days ago, that same part of the house started showing water damage so I opened up the ceiling below it, and found that the repair had been made with a rubber section and hose clamps, and had become disconnected where the tailpiece from the drain had been connected to the rubber section. I've since reconnected it so we can use the shower:
PlumbingJointSmall.jpg

Is this a standard repair method, or is it a kludge? That the clamp on top has to be tightened so much would make me think this is a bad idea.

The device is commonly called a fernco and yes it is a kludge. The drain pipe should meet up with the tailpiece from the tub drain with an appropriate compression fitting and whatever other PVC fittings necessary to make that work (I can't tell from the picture just what it should look like).

The device is commonly called a fernco and yes it is a kludge. The drain pipe should meet up with the tailpiece from the tub drain with an appropriate compression fitting and whatever other PVC fittings necessary to make that work (I can't tell from the picture just what it should look like).

Thanks. I'll get someone out who wants to do this correctly.

Repairs can be done in a manner like this but using the correct parts. It appears they are attempting to join two different sizes of pipe.

https://www.mcmaster.com/couplings/clamp-on-expansion-joints-6/for-use-with~sewage/type~connector/

The tailpiece coming off of the tub drain is smaller than the the plumbing that will carry the wastewater down to the sewer outlet, and I think that's why it ultimately came from together, the fernco is not the correct one for this usage. We do have one in our sewer line, where it came from together and let tree roots start growing in it.

A plumber used a stepdown fernco to fix a leak where the vent pipe attached to my laundry drain. That was four years ago, and I haven't had any problems since.

Fernco is a brand name, there may be others but … I don’t know them. As others have pointed out, there is at least one Fernco coupling that mates two different diameter pipes.

The best solution to your problem is to plumb the drain with hard pipes throughout. Second best is to use something like a Fernco coupling with appropriate size ends for the pipes involved. And a distant third choice is to kludge the job with ill-fitting couplings like your previous plumber (if that term even applies) did.

Choose wisely

-Skip

We’re currently renovating another rental property I bought. I don’t think there was a drain line in the house that didn’t have at least one of those in it from half baked repairs over the past 48 years or so. I’ve got a plumber fixing all of that (along with the other issues) now.

Looks like you fixed it to me, secure the lower pipe so it doesn't pull out again and be done.

In a perfect world, everything would be hard piped, but my world ain't perfect and sometimes a Fernco is the solution. Our house is 50 years old and has cast piping. As it springs leaks, I cut out sections and replace with PVC. The only way to make the connection (or the only way I know of) is with a Fernco. Thankfully, waste pipes aren't under pressure so Fernco's work just fine in the application.

I have a vague recollection that you aren’t supposed to use non permanent connections inside walls, there are 2, the rubber piece and the standpipe. Don’t quote me on that.

In a perfect world, everything would be hard piped, but my world ain't perfect and sometimes a Fernco is the solution. Our house is 50 years old and has cast piping. As it springs leaks, I cut out sections and replace with PVC. The only way to make the connection (or the only way I know of) is with a Fernco. Thankfully, waste pipes aren't under pressure so Fernco's work just fine in the application.
A Fernco is not appropriate here and doesn't even appear to be sized appropriately, which is why it is probably leaking. The tailpiece is way too small for the fitting.

That's a threaded fitting just above; should be easy to fix it properly, with hard lines.

ps that is quite the bulge in the coupling!

A Fernco is not appropriate here and doesn't even appear to be sized appropriately, which is why it is probably leaking. The tailpiece is way too small for the fitting.

I agree about the size issue - you have to use the correct Fernco for the job. And hard piped would be better (always is), but I don't see why a Fernco is not appropriate.

Looks like you fixed it to me, secure the lower pipe so it doesn't pull out again and be done.
If you look at the picture closely, the top of the rubber coupler is quite belled out. It's too big to fit around the tailpiece. If I were to go with a Femco to repair this, I'd get the right sized one, and install a support as you suggested.

I have a vague recollection that you aren’t supposed to use non permanent connections inside walls, there are 2, the rubber piece and the standpipe. Don’t quote me on that.

After @flyingron posted as to what the coupler is called, I poked around the net to see what others had to say. From what little information I could find, I believe it is contrary to most building codes to use something like this inside walls.

That's a threaded fitting just above; should be easy to fix it properly, with hard lines.

ps that is quite the bulge in the coupling!

Yeah, it's a little scary looking.

I agree about the size issue - you have to use the correct Fernco for the job. And hard piped would be better (always is), but I don't see why a Fernco is not appropriate.

From what I can tell, it's against code. I suspect this sort of coupling should be inspected periodically, and you can't do that when it's sealed in the wall, or in my case, the ceiling. I now have a nice big hole in the ceiling to repair.

If you look at the picture closely, the top of the rubber coupler is quite belled out. It's too big to fit around the tailpiece. If I were to go with a Femco to repair this, I'd get the right sized one, and install a support as you suggested.

After @flyingron posted as to what the coupler is called, I poked around the net to see what others had to say. From what little information I could find, I believe it is contrary to most building codes to use something like this inside walls.

Yeah, it's a little scary looking.

From what I can tell, it's against code. I suspect this sort of coupling should be inspected periodically, and you can't do that when it's sealed in the wall, or in my case, the ceiling. I now have a nice big hole in the ceiling to repair.

I would go out, buy a few pvc fittings, some pvc welding solvent and cleaner and a strap to secure the pipe. I would throw that thing out and make a solid connection. But, I don't see using a Femco as an issue but I probably wouldn't reuse that one as it already failed me once.

I tell you, I'm amazed at what passes for a plumber these days. I would not be happy to call a plumber find a repair like this, and this isn't even close to the worst thing I've seen a "plumber" do.

Back